“Wonderful stay and a great host”

Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful stay and a great host”
Reviewed 16 January 2016

We stayed as a couple in cabin 4 in late Sept 2015. The location is amazing with an exceptional view and the cabins are all nicely built with spacious interiors and well-equipped kitchen (which is particularly useful as there are not many options to dine out in Hagensborg and Bella Coola - not in late fall season when we visited). Leonard is great guy and has many years of experience in the wild... and a great story-teller. We took a day trip during which he shared many of his experiences with whales, grizzly bears. On the day trip, we took a dip at the hot springs, caught glimpses of some marine wildlife en route and hiked up to the ancient cedar. Leonard offered us many tips where to spot grizzly bears in the valley.

Room Tip: Leonard mentioned a grizzly sow with her 2 cubs was seen grazing around cabin 4, as it is slightly c...
  • Stayed September 2015, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1way_journey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pitt Meadows, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2014

This tour was an unexpected delight during our visit to the west chilcotin plateau in early sept 2014. We were introduced to Leonard Ellis during our stay at Eagle's Nest Resort in Anahim lake. Our eagerness for an adventure on his 40 foot fishing/tour boat had us signed up immediately.
Our day begin with a beautiful ride from Anahim lake to Bella Coola where we boarded the boat at 9am. We had perfect indian summer weather, sunny, blue skies, warm and the water was gentle and calm. Leonard's guided tour involved visiting many of the passages in and around the Bella Coola coastline. A haven for photographers! We visited an natural hot springs, it was secluded and nestled into the cliffed shoreline. We hiked to an enormous cedar tree, its energy felt gentle and powerful at the same time. We were also brought right up close to a twin waterfall as the waters cascaded so beautifully down to the shore. Leonard BBQ'd halibut burgers, man they were soooo good! We passed through areas where the salmon were returning to spawn, this was where the grizzlies are known to frequent. Leonard told stories about natures balance with the animals that lived in these areas. His years of experience translated into an informative and educational tour. Thank you so much Leonard for an amazing day aboard your boat. The adventure will remain in our hearts always!

Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jaquie F
Anahim Lake, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2014

We had a wonderful time on Leonards boat. We had the perfect weather, the water was calm as glass. The scenery was beautiful and the hot springs hit the spot. The hike to the big trees was not too long, actually it was quite an interesting experience walking through the temperate rainforest . We saw waterfalls, seals, dolphins and lots of birds. The halibut burgers called for seconds! And Leonard had lots of information and lots of stories to tell. Thanks for a wonderful experience.

Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elisabeth K
vancouver
Reviewed 16 September 2014

The water was a beautiful color of blue green. The whole day just seemed to glisten in the sun in the same way. Leonard seemed like such a sweet good person to spend the day with. We spotted seals, dolphins and birds, and soaked in a hot springs. We hiked to a thousand year old tree that when six people stood in front of it there was still massive room left.It whispered a song of ancient wisdom to us. This day will truly remain with me for a high point of my life, and if I am invited to do it again I would. Thanks Leonard.

Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aroka K
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2014

For years now we had wish to visit Bella Coola and it finally happened. YES, we stayed with Leonard Ellis at his totally functional, amazingly artistic cottages and felt like we were in a story book. NICE BEDS, LINENS, BATHROOM, KITCHEN. We had access to a large gazebo with b.b.q. and benches. Our little dog was so welcome and so happy. Had we had kids with us, they would have loved the large area for playing. We were invited to pick fresh veggies and salads from his garden!!!! How would you like it if you were picked up at your cottage door in the morning by his lovely tour bus and be driven to his boat at the harbour? THANK YOU LEONARD!!! We learned and visited sites related to the first settlers who were Norwegian. We viewed the first cannery. We had a chance to fish, be at the hot springs in the forest, see the biggest cedar trees and then he cooked fresh halibut lunch on board!!!!!! It was DELICIOUS!!! He toured us along side the most beautiful waterfall that plunged into the ocean. Then, when we left the boat at the end of the day and we thought we were driving back to our cottage, he parked the bus and took us on a walk through the forest to view petroglyphs, made thousands of years ago by the First Nations people. All day long Leonard, we viewed, learned, admired, questioned, received answers from you and we laughed a lot too. Leonard has been part of the Bella Coola community for decades and he can really give you a deep and wonderful experience of what this community and the whole region really is like. GO NOW!!! Don't hesitate to book. You will love the cottage, all natural wood, the bus, the boat, the food, the interactions, the nature. GO BOOK!

Room Tip: doesn't matter which cottage you pick as they are all same in size and position on the land. ve...
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annemarie G
Williams Lake
Reviewed 16 September 2014

We went out on a wonderful trip with Leonard who showed us around his backyard. We saw dolphins, eagles, seals and lots of gorgeous country. The first stop was at the hotsprings and everyone had a chance to get off the boat and enjoy the hotsprings followed by a swim in the ocean.
We saw waterfalls, hiked to the big cedar tree and had a phenomenal lunch after.
Would recommend it and go again anytime! Thanks Leonard

Room Tip: Cabins are very nice, but we stayed in our RV - had a great view of the mountains
Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank WLTrailrider
Reviewed 11 September 2014

Fist of all, leonard is a great guy, that will go for lengthes for you! Excelling in what is his best: dealing with people and guiding. The cabins are really neat. His weak point however is paper work. Being somewhat slow on responding to mails his price quotations also tend to be kind of "unreliable". Just lay down every single detail and keep written proof with you. Then the fun can begin!

• Stayed September 2014
4 Thank Miscanthus123
Leonard E, Owner at Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc., responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Spring, Summer and Fall I spend most all my time in the outdoors guiding folks, keeping them safe and showing them some of our favorite wilderness destinations around here. I have to admit this does consume most all of my time and makes for long days. I run a small operation here and during the season I am gone in the fjords most every day from sun up to sun down. In the evening I can respond to the many phone calls, emails and provide many prices and quotes to people shopping around that request different services and prices for the same in this vast area of the Central Coast. Over the years I have found that it is in the business's best interest for me to do the guiding myself on the land and water as I am the one with the experience in the field and am ultimately responsible for the safety and well being of my Guests. Please understand that if I was to stay home in the office to be the Secretary and spend all my time looking after the Paperwork I would have to send a Greenhorn out in these waters with Guests and there could very well be casualties which would obviously destroy my business. In over 40 years of guiding on the Coast I have never had anybody get hurt, injured and no fatalities. I feel the safety aspect of the operation is paramount and a little more important than paperwork. I do my absolute best to provide a unique, affordable product on a personal basis to cater to each individuals different custom requests. It is very expensive to operate boats and equipment and I do my best to keep my prices affordable so the general public can enjoy our services. Fortunately, after many years of working at developing the new Eco-Tours in this area the business is building now and finally getting busy enough where I may be able to employ a Secretary to do the paperwork and accounting. She will coordinate my bookings, deposits and accounting so that I can be out guiding folks on the land and water, where I belong. We're still developing the Wilderness Tours in this pristine area and as time goes on we find their are many business variables out of our control such as sharp spikes in rising fuel costs that need to be taken into consideration when quotes are made. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I do sincerely apologize if there has been any misunderstanding and if you will kindly be in touch with me and identify yourself I will be happy to make whatever the issue is, resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for your nice compliments and rest assured In the future I will certainly be far more careful in any prices I provide.

Been to Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.

Property: Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.
Address: 1953 Mackenzie Highway 20, Bella Coola, British Columbia V0T 1H0, Canada
Region: Canada > British Columbia > Bella Coola Valley > Bella Coola
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Shuttle Bus service
Ranked #1 of 1 Speciality Lodging in Bella Coola
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc. 2.5*
Private Log Cabins with sundecks and full facilities offer panoramic views of the Bella Coola Valley. Kitchenettes, wireless internet, satellite TV and very comfortable Beds. Close to all amenities and very spacious on our Beautiful 20 acre Resort property. Enjoy gathering around our Fire pit in the huge 75 foot Gazebo in the evening and join one of our Land or Marine Tours during the day. Guiding Guests in the Great Bear Rainforest for 35 years. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc. Bella Coola Valley