Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.
TripAdvisor
Cumbrian Inn(Bella Coola)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsred cedarthese cabinsfull kitchenplace to staysupermarketscenerymountainsgazeboaccommodations
Reviewed July 17, 2016

The cabin was very nice, ample, comfortable, well equipped with kitchen utensils, cutlery and gadget; all very clean. It is located 2 min from a supermarket and about 15 min from Bella Coola.
However the tour service was another story. One of the main reasons to visit the area was to tour the fjords. And one of the main reasons to choose Bella Coola Grizzly Tours was to have the convenience of combining the accommodations with the tour service provider. There was a boat tour offered that was my priority and also a bus tour Upon arrival I was told by the owner that the boat tour was fully booked for the next 5 days (I was only staying for 4 days). I asked for the bus tour and was told that I was the only person interested so that I would have to wait for more people, but was going to let me know is something materialized. I actually blamed myself for not making advance reservations, but I never had such kind of issues before while visiting western Canada. Next day I bumped into other guests of Bella Coola Grizzly Tours who told me that they had reserved the boat and the bus tour before coming but were cancelled once they arrived because there were not enough people for the tours. So on one hand I was told that the boat tour was booked for 5 days but these people were cancelled because there were not enough customers. Which was the truth? And for the bus tour I was told I was the only one interested, however these people, who had the bus tour also cancelled, had arrived the day before. So in fact, we were 3 in total. I asked later on about the tours and was told by one employee that there was nothing yet, that maybe they could organize a smaller boat tour, blah, blah. At one point there were 2 more people interested (5 in total) but were told that at least 6 were needed. Bottom line, no boat or bus tour for me with this company. I understand that this is a business and they try to maximize their profits, but the website (and the flyer that is in the cabin) makes no reference whatsoever that there is a minimum of customers needed for the tour. Based on my experience, it seemed that the minimum was 6 people for the boat and at least 4 for the bus. But who knows, since the rules kept on changing, maybe if we gathered 6 people then 8 would be needed and so on. Had I known so many people were needed, I would certainly have contacted other providers, some of which clearly post on their websites the minimum needed (usually 2) or have no minimum requirement at all. I guess that collecting the $ 800 dollars for the cabin was enough and with minimum effort. If his customers are putting in their hard earned money into a holiday, that’s none of his concern. I was going to let the owner know how disappointed I was but the last day he just came by with the bill and asked me about payment arrangements, leaving me no room to start a conversation. Not even the customary “how was everything?” that is basic question in any hotel or accommodation, especially knowing that I was seeking to do the tours. Anyway, what difference would it make, knowing that it was a round around the whole time. The irony is that the company is called “Bella Coola Grizzly TOURS” and I stress TOURS. My advice: stay on the cabins if you want but don’t depend on this company for the tours, chose another provider and have them as back-up. Maybe if you are lucky enough that there are lot of tourists around when you visit, you won’t have that problem, but you are at their mercy. If I ever go back again I will certainly have no business with these people. By the way other tour providers told me that it he had done this before. I am not the kind who gives bad reviews for no reasons and I am quite flexible; all the other places I stayed during my short vacation got very good to excellent reviews and are posted to be seen, but in the case of Bella Coola Grizzly Tours, I have to stress that it was very disappointed and find their way of doing business unacceptable

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank IreM29
Leonard E, Owner at Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc., responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2016

Thank you Irene for your nice compliments on our Cabins. I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and your Petroglyph Tour. Thank you for noting our Cabins are well equipped, ideally located and very clean. We have worked very hard to build them in this wilderness area and take pride in our Cabins and Vessels. Our Glacial Fjord Tours out to the Hotsprings are 8 hours long (9 am-5 pm including on board hot lunch) and cover over 50 nautical kilometers of pristine Glacial Fjords. It costs me out of my pocket about $1000.00 to do the Fjord Tour given the price of fuel, moorage, insurance, staff and the maintenance and operation of the 42 foot twin Diesel MV Nekhani. I am only a small family business and am not subsidized by the government to operate, like BC Ferries. I need a minimum of 6 passengers at $175. per person to generate $1050. just to break even and provide the service to our guests. If people wish to join this Nautical Tour we 'pencil' in the date they chose to go and then we all work very hard at confirming a minimum of 6 people to go on the particular date. The majority of the time we are successful at confirming the Tour as you can see by our other Trip Advisor Reviews. The maximum we are licensed to take on board is 12 guests and the minimum to depart is 6 Guests. Significant vessel cost and high overhead on this Nautical tour confirms the reality that there are very few licensed private operators offering this Boat Tour out of the Port of Bella Coola. Our ocean going vessel come under rigorous Transport Canada Inspections for your safety and is very costly to operate. Our vessel complies with Transport Canada requirements and we have never, in 40 years of operation in this area, had an injury or fatality at Sea. I am truly sorry I was unable to make this tour happen for you and I am sure you hopefully realize I would have obviously much rather have seen your smiling face on board. I had no idea you were so unhappy on your departure and given you said nothing to me in person about this issue I was quite taken back when I received your Trip Advisor review. We tried very hard for you, whether you realize it or not, but we simply could not find a certified boat operator in Bella Coola that could accommodate a solo traveller. We certainly did not want to make ourselves liable or put you, our guest, at risk by recommending any operator that may not have a seaworthy vessel. One of the reasons people enjoy coming to Bella Coola is because it is one of the last frontier's for wilderness and wildlife, a little out of the way, remote and peaceful and mostly because it is not yet saturated with people that are lined up in buses for Tours, like other tourist destinations. Unfortunately, because Tourism is a relatively new industry here, the numbers issue can make it challenging to put a group together when minimum operating numbers are required. I apologize and acknowledge your negative feedback and you can be assured we will be making all our potential guests well aware of the minimum passengers required to sail and/or the option to charter the vessel privately. Your Truly, Leonard Ellis/Owner

Reviewed July 14, 2016

website needs updating to reflect what is really happening here. the showerhouse and campsites do not exist yet but when they do they will be amazing. a lovely location and thank you Leonard for letting us park up next to the showerhouse building project. the Grizzly Tours weren't on either which left us on our own in not good weather. shame noone contacted us so we could change our booking. maybe next time.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiPAlanP
Reviewed June 26, 2016

I booked on line with Grizzly Tours, with Megan, the office manager. The cabin was very nice, but still needs some finishing touches. There is no place to hang up coats, or put a suitcase.
Leonard, the owner is still working on the units, so I am sure he will be working on this very soon.

Room Tip: Only four cabins so far, so, all look great
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2016 via mobile

Great long weekend, just not long enough.
Beautiful scenic drive. Lush , Great Bear Rainforest.

We rate the tour and accommodations as one of our top BC vacations. The scenery is amazing and the tour host, Leonard and his crew are fantastic.

Excellent experience.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2016 via mobile

My wife and spent 3 nights in cabin 4. The cabin was new and very clean. The kitchen was well equipped for everything you might need to cook or entertain. There was a beautiful view of cliffs on the other side of the valley from inside the cabin and the deck outside.

We brought our dog in the trip and the grounds were perfect for her to run around and off leash

The owner was super friendly and accommodating. He even gave us some halibut to BBQ which was beyond generous.

Right across the street there was a beautiful spot to do some fly fishing within walking distance which was a huge bonus.

Stores, restaurants, and attractions were all within a short drive.

It was and awesome place to stay and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple