“Comfortable cabin and friendly staff”

Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.
North Vancouver, Canada
“Comfortable cabin and friendly staff”
Reviewed 31 July 2016

We stayed four nights at Grizzly Tours cabins, and really enjoyed the ambiance of the spacious, wood designed cabin and its excellent location. in Hagensbourg. Owner Leonard and his family were very welcoming and we appreciated their insight into the area's history, tourism, and wildlife. When we were unable to coordinate going on a boat tour with Grizzly Tours due to timing, we were pleased that his employee Megan helped us to find another option. Thanks, Leonard, for the evening bus tour and for the salmon! We will remember seeing those grizzly tracks in the forest that you showed us and also that old Namu bathtub!

• Stayed July 2016, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 26 July 2016

We booked a wedding with Leonard last summer. The cabins were clean and well stocked. Huge grounds with a good mix of old-growth and groomed lawn, great for photos with plenty of parking, unlimited tent sites. Nice pond and trails out the back.

The gazebo was AWESOME, we set up the sound, bar and buffet and there was still plenty of room to hang out around the firepit in the middle. On-site propane, crab/prawn pot and giant rotissere for your convenience.

If you are into planning an outdoor event with a real bc feel without 'roughing it', at a reasonable price, this is the place!

Our friendly, laid-back host went out of his way to accommodate us from setup to tear down. Thank you Leonard!

• Stayed August 2015, travelled with family
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 July 2016

As a friends group with 6 people we booked this awesome tour with leonard and his team. very friendly stuff and so many cool things to explore. driving with the boat to different spots in between untouched nature to really hot springs, a huge red cedar tree, taking traps out of the ocean filled with fresh seafood...delicious!

i did a video from our tour if you want to see it click here:

Room Tip: lovely nature
  • Stayed May 2016, travelled with friends
2 Thank Enjoy611
St. Paul, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2016

We enjoyed our stay in Bella Coola very much to say the least; and Megan and Lennart are terrific hosts - gems of human beings. The cabins are very clean, cozy and romantic offering everything you need to survive in Bella Coola, with shopping close by. Let me tell you what made me giving a 5 star rating. First and utmost we came as strangers and left as friends! Second, if you decide to visit Bella Coola you should enjoy the outdoors, hiking, canoeing or kayaking, love and respect animals and not being afraid to deal with imperfect weather conditions like rain, sun and fog. Not being to scared by at times treacherous roads, trails and docks will help too. Come prepared with proper shoes, clothing and gear and book your trips ahead of time or better come in a group to make sure the trip you desire can be accommodated. But even if, be prepared to have an alternate plan, because weather and out in the woods bad luck can always strike with breaking down of equipment even if well prepared. And as you can imagine to get parts and repair to a remote location as Bella Coola can become a challenge. Grizzly tours equipment I like to assure you left a very good impression with me, we traveled in a seaworthy boat with all equipment working properly and back up systems available. And Lennarts years of experience and skills as a commercial fisher, guide and a true mountain man, capable of staying cool and organized in any situation are very comforting. If you are the type of tourist, who understands how to deal with this type of travelling, then you will experience Bella Coola as a place hard to beat. There are so many treasures to discover in this area if your eyes are willing to see. If you are the tourist who expects everything to run smooth, being served meals and adventures as effortless as possible: check with your travel agent, there are tons of destination offering just that. If you like to discover and find solitude and don't mind the challenge to get it, then trust me, you will agree Bella Coola is the place to be and Grizzly tours is a great choice. Thanks again to Megan and Lennart, the stay with you was a wonderful experience with great memories forever carved in our hearts.

• Stayed July 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rohnair
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2016

The cabin was very nice, ample, comfortable, well equipped with kitchen utensils, cutlery and gadget; all very clean. It is located 2 min from a supermarket and about 15 min from Bella Coola.
However the tour service was another story. One of the main reasons to visit the area was to tour the fjords. And one of the main reasons to choose Bella Coola Grizzly Tours was to have the convenience of combining the accommodations with the tour service provider. There was a boat tour offered that was my priority and also a bus tour Upon arrival I was told by the owner that the boat tour was fully booked for the next 5 days (I was only staying for 4 days). I asked for the bus tour and was told that I was the only person interested so that I would have to wait for more people, but was going to let me know is something materialized. I actually blamed myself for not making advance reservations, but I never had such kind of issues before while visiting western Canada. Next day I bumped into other guests of Bella Coola Grizzly Tours who told me that they had reserved the boat and the bus tour before coming but were cancelled once they arrived because there were not enough people for the tours. So on one hand I was told that the boat tour was booked for 5 days but these people were cancelled because there were not enough customers. Which was the truth? And for the bus tour I was told I was the only one interested, however these people, who had the bus tour also cancelled, had arrived the day before. So in fact, we were 3 in total. I asked later on about the tours and was told by one employee that there was nothing yet, that maybe they could organize a smaller boat tour, blah, blah. At one point there were 2 more people interested (5 in total) but were told that at least 6 were needed. Bottom line, no boat or bus tour for me with this company. I understand that this is a business and they try to maximize their profits, but the website (and the flyer that is in the cabin) makes no reference whatsoever that there is a minimum of customers needed for the tour. Based on my experience, it seemed that the minimum was 6 people for the boat and at least 4 for the bus. But who knows, since the rules kept on changing, maybe if we gathered 6 people then 8 would be needed and so on. Had I known so many people were needed, I would certainly have contacted other providers, some of which clearly post on their websites the minimum needed (usually 2) or have no minimum requirement at all. I guess that collecting the $ 800 dollars for the cabin was enough and with minimum effort. If his customers are putting in their hard earned money into a holiday, that’s none of his concern. I was going to let the owner know how disappointed I was but the last day he just came by with the bill and asked me about payment arrangements, leaving me no room to start a conversation. Not even the customary “how was everything?” that is basic question in any hotel or accommodation, especially knowing that I was seeking to do the tours. Anyway, what difference would it make, knowing that it was a round around the whole time. The irony is that the company is called “Bella Coola Grizzly TOURS” and I stress TOURS. My advice: stay on the cabins if you want but don’t depend on this company for the tours, chose another provider and have them as back-up. Maybe if you are lucky enough that there are lot of tourists around when you visit, you won’t have that problem, but you are at their mercy. If I ever go back again I will certainly have no business with these people. By the way other tour providers told me that it he had done this before. I am not the kind who gives bad reviews for no reasons and I am quite flexible; all the other places I stayed during my short vacation got very good to excellent reviews and are posted to be seen, but in the case of Bella Coola Grizzly Tours, I have to stress that it was very disappointed and find their way of doing business unacceptable

• Stayed July 2016, travelled solo
4 Thank IreM29
Leonard E, Owner at Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc., responded to this review, 24 July 2016
Thank you Irene for your nice compliments on our Cabins. I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and your Petroglyph Tour. Thank you for noting our Cabins are well equipped, ideally located and very clean. We have worked very hard to build them in this wilderness area and take pride in our Cabins and Vessels. Our Glacial Fjord Tours out to the Hotsprings are 8 hours long (9 am-5 pm including on board hot lunch) and cover over 50 nautical kilometers of pristine Glacial Fjords. It costs me out of my pocket about $1000.00 to do the Fjord Tour given the price of fuel, moorage, insurance, staff and the maintenance and operation of the 42 foot twin Diesel MV Nekhani. I am only a small family business and am not subsidized by the government to operate, like BC Ferries. I need a minimum of 6 passengers at $175. per person to generate $1050. just to break even and provide the service to our guests. If people wish to join this Nautical Tour we 'pencil' in the date they chose to go and then we all work very hard at confirming a minimum of 6 people to go on the particular date. The majority of the time we are successful at confirming the Tour as you can see by our other Trip Advisor Reviews. The maximum we are licensed to take on board is 12 guests and the minimum to depart is 6 Guests. Significant vessel cost and high overhead on this Nautical tour confirms the reality that there are very few licensed private operators offering this Boat Tour out of the Port of Bella Coola. Our ocean going vessel come under rigorous Transport Canada Inspections for your safety and is very costly to operate. Our vessel complies with Transport Canada requirements and we have never, in 40 years of operation in this area, had an injury or fatality at Sea. I am truly sorry I was unable to make this tour happen for you and I am sure you hopefully realize I would have obviously much rather have seen your smiling face on board. I had no idea you were so unhappy on your departure and given you said nothing to me in person about this issue I was quite taken back when I received your Trip Advisor review. We tried very hard for you, whether you realize it or not, but we simply could not find a certified boat operator in Bella Coola that could accommodate a solo traveller. We certainly did not want to make ourselves liable or put you, our guest, at risk by recommending any operator that may not have a seaworthy vessel. One of the reasons people enjoy coming to Bella Coola is because it is one of the last frontier's for wilderness and wildlife, a little out of the way, remote and peaceful and mostly because it is not yet saturated with people that are lined up in buses for Tours, like other tourist destinations. Unfortunately, because Tourism is a relatively new industry here, the numbers issue can make it challenging to put a group together when minimum operating numbers are required. I apologize and acknowledge your negative feedback and you can be assured we will be making all our potential guests well aware of the minimum passengers required to sail and/or the option to charter the vessel privately. Your Truly, Leonard Ellis/Owner
Waitakere City, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 July 2016

website needs updating to reflect what is really happening here. the showerhouse and campsites do not exist yet but when they do they will be amazing. a lovely location and thank you Leonard for letting us park up next to the showerhouse building project. the Grizzly Tours weren't on either which left us on our own in not good weather. shame noone contacted us so we could change our booking. maybe next time.

Stayed June 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DiPAlanP
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2016

I booked on line with Grizzly Tours, with Megan, the office manager. The cabin was very nice, but still needs some finishing touches. There is no place to hang up coats, or put a suitcase.
Leonard, the owner is still working on the units, so I am sure he will be working on this very soon.

Room Tip: Only four cabins so far, so, all look great
  • Stayed May 2016, travelled as a couple

Been to Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.

Property: Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc.
Address: 1953 Mackenzie Highway 20, Bella Coola, British Columbia V0T 1H0, Canada
Region: Canada > British Columbia > Bella Coola Valley > Bella Coola
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Shuttle Bus service
Ranked #1 of 1 Speciality Lodging in Bella Coola
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc. 2.5*
Private Log Cabins with sundecks and full facilities offer panoramic views of the Bella Coola Valley. Kitchenettes, wireless internet, satellite TV and very comfortable Beds. Close to all amenities and very spacious on our Beautiful 20 acre Resort property. Enjoy gathering around our Fire pit in the huge 75 foot Gazebo in the evening and join one of our Land or Marine Tours during the day. Guiding Guests in the Great Bear Rainforest for 35 years. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bella Coola Grizzly Tours Inc. Bella Coola Valley