All reviews spa treatments life changing organic food morning and afternoon tea qi gong steam room body and soul energy levels group leader meal times fellow guests school camp yoga and pilates private plunge pool slow down wake up call come home
Reviewed August 4, 2017

We enjoyed every aspect of our stay at Gwinganna- the food, activities, talks and the efficient way everything was organised. Staff and presenters were excellent. We have come home with a different view of how we should look after our bodies!

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank gillndave_10
Reviewed July 19, 2017

My adult daughter and I attended the 7-Day Winter Detox in June 2017. We stayed in a luxury Moonarie Villa overlooking the fabulous views to the valley, Gold Coast and ocean beyond.

The Villa was beautiful, very clean and included all our requirements, including the use of a buggy and private plunge pool - the walk is only about 10 minutes to the ‘village’ facilities.

It did rain throughout the week but there was enough to do during the mornings and feel relaxed in the afternoons.

It’s only now, a month after the Detox, that I’m truly realising the benefits of the retreat and learnings. I did have a few dietary issues to sort and most of them are now resolved - through the meals we received (sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol-free and mostly vegetarian) and consultations with various experts – in my case I saw a very good nutritionist called Nick.

I now have reduced my milk, sugar and wheat intake (still have a coffee, the odd chocolate and no more than two slices of multigrain sourdough bread every day), continue to exercise well and feel so much better. The morning wellness seminars were generally great and highly informative about a variety of health matters.

Spa treatments were lovely – simple massages and facials were fine for me. I didn’t want to spend on anything unnecessary – you decide what you want and can say no! There was no pressure selling.

There were a few moments when I wanted to leave – the headache mid-week due to caffeine and sugar withdrawal was powerful but disappeared after some magnesium tablets administered by the nurses on duty…also the desire for some peace at meal times – the chatter can be over whelming, but it’s possible to zone out.

The mornings sessions of yoga, stretch and dance therapy were terrific in the beautiful purpose built buildings – nothing too strenuous for me, although my daughter did enjoy the high intensity classes.

All in all, we’re glad we ‘did it’ – my daughter and I both returned home healthier and enlightened. We found sensible and practical solutions for making our lives better. I also bought the Gwinganna cookery book and have enjoyed Soul Loaf and the various other recipes – well worth it.

Do go with an open mind and prepare to go with the flow.

Thanks!

Room tip: Pick a private Villa if in your budget
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank whizzyPerth
Reviewed July 17, 2017

A lovely experience, with tasty food (although small portion sizes for men) and enjoyable activities. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

My favourite elements were the active sessions (spin class, boxing etc), ditching the mobile phone, the spa treatments and steam room - amazing. The gym and pools also looked top quality but I didn't get the time to enjoy them as I only stayed the weekend.

The less enjoyable elements - there was some product/service pushing, with frequent reminders about buying things like tahini balls, cook books, and extra spa treatments etc (a few guests mentioned this to me also). A large group (60+) made it less intimate/personal than other retreats and more of a commercial operation. Having said that, I definitely left feeling relaxed and I would consider going again during a discounted period.

Room tip: I stayed in an Orchard room, and it was lovely.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank LouiseR1136
Gwinganna, Manager at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Dear LouiseR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. We're glad that you loved so many elements of the retreat.

Our apologies if you felt there were too many messages as far as selling extras as this is never our intention. We find on the shorter stays, many guests want to take home elements of Gwinganna so conveying these messages can be difficult. Any additional purchases are of course optional for every guest.

We are a larger property than other smaller retreats with the largest land space of any retreat in Australasia. We find the guest numbers work well to allow us to provide extensive facilities and over 150 staff to care for guests.

Thank you again, wishing you wellness.

Reviewed June 18, 2017 via mobile

I've just returned home from a detox 7 days at Gwinganna and I must say I'm a little disappointed
Accomodation is very basic in the orchard rooms and maybe furnishings might need a bit of an upgrade as everything felt like it was a mish mash from the local charity shop!
I felt very exhausted from all the communal dining and would've preferred the option to eat alone or in room sometimes.
I didn't like having the entire afternoons free after lunch for dreamtime, I might have preferred some staggered activities throughout the day , with no wifi or tv in the rooms there was however plenty of opportunity to spend more money in the spa !
The food was a little hit and miss , mostly nice though and more than enough of it.
I didn't think the program manager was around very much especially as many people were feeling slightly unwell from the detox.
Mostly the seminars were interesting although one of the gym staff thought he was the next big comedian, which was very tedious after a while , (would've just preferred the subject content)
However I came away with some new information, even though I left a day early.
I probably wouldn't return to Gwinganna again.

Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank Julie M
Gwinganna, Manager at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2017

Dear JulieM

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. We’re sorry to hear you did not enjoy the Orchard Suite accommodation and we will review your feedback on the style of furnishings which are sourced from quality suppliers.

The structure of a day on retreat here is intentional providing guests with the opportunity to choose what they wish to do each afternoon rather than always heading to a scheduled activity. We find many guests need adrenal restoration and particularly appreciate this afternoon Dreamtime to truly rest, read a book, nap, take a swim or steam and enjoy the diverse facilities and surroundings.

If you would contact us to let us know where you would have liked more time with the Program Manager that would be helpful. We have never received that comment before considering she is with guests at meals and activity sessions each day and there primarily to support and assist guests during their stay. This role is pivotal to the guest experience.

The seminar presenter you mentioned usually receives wonderful feedback. He is a very senior experienced personal trainer who has worked within retreats for many years. We’re sorry to hear you did not enjoy his session.

Thanks again, wishing you wellness.

Reviewed June 14, 2017

I am not even sure where to begin with this review as so many things were amazing during my stay here for 3 nights nights.

My husband booked this for a Christmas present for me....a chance for me to escape the pressures and stress of our daily routines; a place to detox from technology , from unhealthy eating habits and refocus on what is important . I got this and so much more from my stay.

I especially loved the seminars each day- so informative and entertaining. The activities from low energy to high energy were all optiona but I took the opportunity to do as much as I could , slowing it down towards the end of my stay.

Staying in the orchard suites was close to all facilities. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. It was nice sitting in the winter sun in the afternoon on the verandah just reading a book or watching the world .

Staff went above and beyond the normal care of duty each day, with absolutely nothing being a problem or too much trouble. I felt no pressure from anyone during my stay.

The food is out of this world. I could not get enough of it. There was always so much on offer and intolerances , diets and preferences all accounted for.

The spa treatments were lovely but still not the highlight for me.

I came away with new energy levels and a motivation I have not had in a while.....2 weeks on , it is still there.
Thank you Gwinganna for allowing me such a great experience.

• Trip type: Travelled solo