“Fish and Chip champion ...”
Review of Baked and Battered

Baked and Battered
Ranked #2 of 32 Restaurants in Haliburton
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 19 July 2013

What makes a great serving of fish and chips; very generous portion of fish, crispy thin batter ( no gunky back) cooked but moist, choice of fish. Have enjoyed their cooking often, tried halibut and pickerel, both delicious. Within our group some choose the chips, other the optional salad with tasty dressing options. Eat in, across the street at town dock picnic tables or at home. Pricing is good, not sure why the person wrote about $18 lunch, do not have their facts correct. Dessert; even more choices. Having ordered a sample of everything can attest that it is all delicious. Lots of choices in coffee beverages, all done very well. Haliburton is fortunate the owners choose to build their business here. Thank you.....

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

I ordered 2, 2 piece halibut & fries to go. Got the order home and was not happy! I ordered the fries well done they where nowhere close to being well done, if that was the worst part of the meal it wouldn't be that bad but it wasn't! The first problem with the fish was 1 peice in each meal was halibut, the other was some other type of fish!! Called the restaurant ask to speak to the owner the person on the phone said they weren't there ok thats fine told the person on the phone what my problem was. They made us bring the fish back in, brought it back in the owner was there serving tables so he had to be there 10 mins before when I called! So they agree that 2 out of the 4 pieces of halibut weren't halibut! So they said they would make us 2 more pieces of halibut, they seemed shocked when I said I wanted 4 new pieces since the first 2 where cold now because of them. I heard one of the staff ask if they should keep the fish that was returned! Thankfully someone else said to throw it out! Got home fries are now ice cold! So now I'm hoping that this fish is amazing for all the problems that I went thru! It was far from being good the batter was thick with no flavour the piece of fish was extremely thick, took one bite and spit it out immediately as did my husband, I am pretty sure the fish was frozen. It was one of the worst meals I've ever had from a restaurant. Paid $45 for fries! Also its outrageous that it cost $15 for loaf of bread I understand its gluten free but $15 seems a bit expensive! I will not be returning and I will not be recommending this place. Save your money and go elsewhere!

1  Thank Anonymousreview420
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We had the good fortune to stop in at Baked and Battered in Haliburton last weekend. We enjoyed a wonderful meal of fish and chips, as well as their fish chowder. If you love fish, this will be the best fish and chips ever! The batter is light and very crispy - NOT greasy. The fish was perfectly cooked and the portion was perfect.
We also picked up some freshly baked goods on our way out. Without exception, everything was delicious. The best date square ever for me and my husband was taken with the chocolate cookies.
The staff are very friendly and do their very best to accommodate everyone. The owners are very hands on and approachable. We believe this to be a winner!!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I took my kids up for a pre summer break last week and this was our first stop. The place is so warm and cozy, very tastefully done!! I really didnt want to have to stop to do the drive through during our 4 hr drive. So we were starved when we got there and I'm so glad we waited, because we were not dissapointed!! Its the first time I've ever had fish n chips and not felt gross after. They were fantastic! I was wondering what my kids would think of the gluten free batter...." best fish n chip ever!, mom!" I found the prices on par with other fish places we've tryed but they didnt compare in taste.we ended up with leftovers that my kids ate for breakfast the next day. I also understand that the fish n chips are more ment to be grab and go and not really dine in so much, but I was happy that they accomodated a sit down meal aswell. The baked goods are exceptional, and I agree as a previous review said "generous". I also found for the price on par with finer baked goods, I thought is was worth every penny. It was really handy grabbing stuff to bring back to the cottage for our few days. My kids fish first thing in the am and they just grabbed the breakfast bar on their way out. It ment i did get a break from cooking;) The cookies are crazy good! The sticky buns reminded me of my childhood bakery at our cabin and I could go on..As far as the service goes, the owners are right there snd hands on, the staff is new and learned but good. The place was swamped every time we stopped and thats hard for anyone to manage, we were there a far bit lol!;) I think they are off to a great start and we can't wait to go back!!! p.s we our first stop was 5min to close and we didnt feel at all rushed!!they have great hours!!

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

It's great to have a new choice in Hali. We've eaten here 3 times since it opened and have also picked up baked goods. As other reviews have noted, prices are a little high but you get what you pay for. The atmosphere is great, homey and welcoming and the owners are there and hands-on. Judging by the line-ups out the door on the weekends, they are filling a niche that was lacking in our town. The baked goods are decadent while not overly sweet and the service on the bakery side is exceptional.
We wish them great success and continued fine tuning of a wonderful concept. Well done!