“Nice catages, but not much else.”
Review of Halimar Resort

Halimar Resort
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Haliburton
Rochester, New York
“Nice catages, but not much else.”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

It was just O'K vacation. At least the week when we staid it was not much going on. On their website they advertised a canoe trips, a bike guided trips, Pilates and yoga that they do as part of activities, I didn't see it any of that. The "camp" for kids was a joke. It was some young kid who was providing some few hours of babysitting. In my mind if someone runs a camp activities program they should know lot's ofgames and have lot's ideas and energy. That kid, was just a nice kid who seemed to me was afraid of little kids.
I told to the owner that we are very disappointed from this place. He basically told me ,if I don't like this and I will choose to leave he will charge the full price. Great.... The following day I spoke with the wife of the owner she was at least trying be helpful and understanding, but still would charge for two nights at little bit more then 2000$. So it wasn't worse it just to pay that amount and try to find something else. The food was so, so. Few times the dinner was very good, but most of the times just O'K. It was very inconsistent. For what they charge, they should have more healthier options for the breakfast. Some families who stayed before, they didn't choose the meal plan. Very smart!!!! because the food is almost the same every day. What else I didn't like, that kids should choose the dinner from the kids options. And the quality it wasn't good at all. We came to that kind of place because of the kids, why the kids should be treated differently plus they charge a lot for the family. We did a lot of fun activities outside of that "resort", but because of staying their, the Halimar put a bad taste and our vacation was ruined.

What was good. They have an outdoor pool which is overlooking the lake with the diving board, that was big hit for kids and on the raining day we had a fireplace working what was very relaxing and we took a nap. Me and my husband didn't feel that we rejuvenated, it wasn't horrible, but wasn't good.

If you looking for the quite place, but not a dead atmosphere, look for something else.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rita r

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Picton, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2010

friendly service, comfortable beds, great location, clean and cozy with a big fireplace ready to burn, lots of free wood, and an amazing view of the lake

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank manlow1
Newmarket, Ontario
Reviewed 18 October 2010

As a repeat visitor, once again we had a glorious Thanksgiving Weekend at Halimar. Stayed in unit #7, clean, spacious and very cozy. The food as usual was excellent. Really enjoyed the room service for dinner one evening. Everything arrived piping hot and was delicious.
Jan and Suzanne are the ultimate host/hostess and will do whatever is necessary to make your stay a pleasant one. Also an added bonus was the Thanksgiving weekend artisan's studio tours. One can always find something to do in the area as well as seeing wildlife, 2
deer crossing the road just down from the resort. It is a good resort ,in my opinion, if one is sad to leave and I always wish I could stay longer.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Blitzen467
Toronto
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I would like to preface this review by saying that I am a city girl that has very high standards when it comes to resorts. I have stayed at five star resorts all over the globe (Sandals, Club Med, W hotels) and needless to say that I am very picky when it comes to where I spend my holidays. Normally I am not the biggest fan when it comes to 'cottage' resorts however as my life revolves around outdoor loving boys (ages 5 years old and 18 months) I had no choice but to find a place that had a cottage lifestyle yet modern enough to make me happy. My previous experiences with cottage resorts haven't been the most memorable (namely Shamlock lodge and Pow wow point lodge, both in muskoka) so I was pleasantly surprised by this cute resort that I had to write and tell everyone how fabulous it is!

Accomodations: We stayed in a ground level one bedroom suite (suite #14) that was part of a building with 2 other suites attached to it. Upon walking into the unit I was very happy to see how clean it was and also the size of the living area was great with a pull out couch and a little kitchen area with a fridge, sink, coffee maker and lots of plates, glasses, etc. Another nice touch is that they had a bottle of dishwashing liquid for you to use and liquid hand soap in the bathroom so that you don't have to bring your own. The bedroom was nice, with a queen size bed that looks so inviting (and i was told that it was a new mattress which was why it was so comfortable) and you get partial views of the lake from the bedroom and also from the living area. The bathroom was huge and looked newly renovated, you could literally fit 6 people in there and not feel cramped. There was a double jacuzzi also which we didn't use but the boys loved how big the tub was. The shower pressure was awesome with tons of hot water. Definitely the nicest washroom that i have seen at a cottage resort.

Beach/Activities: The main reason I booked this place was because of the size of the beach. I cannot describe how gorgeous the scenery is from the beach, or how awesome it was to swim in that beautiful lake. The water was warm, the beach was great (sandy bottom as you walk in- really nice) and there were plenty of beach toys/life jackets for the kids so you didn't have to bring your own. There was also a heated pool which i didn't use but stuck my foot in it and it felt like really warm bath water) and a great playground for the kids. There's also lots of paddle boats/kayaks etc. that you could use and an exercise room that was adequate. There's even a kids club that we didn't use but saw other kids in and they looked like they were having fun. Basically you will not be bored at this resort, there's a lot to do.

Food: I saved the best for last. I'm a real foodie, and honestly did not expect much from this resort simply because from my experience cottage resort = average food. However, Halimar blew me away not only with the quality of food but the presentation was gorgeous. It was pretty darn close to five star if you ask me. Breakfast was always great, they had a cereal/fruit buffet waiting for you when you got in and the hot items menu was really great. My favorites were the french toast and the chocolate chip pancakes (what a fantastic way to start your morning!). The restaurant itself is not open during lunch but you could order your lunch ahead and pick up at 1:00pm. So for us it was no big deal as it gave us a chance to go to haliburton every day for lunch (if you're there go to Mckeck's- it's a very modern pub with great food). Dinnertime was my favorite meal of the day, I loved how every day we were presented with the daily selection of bread and between my husband and I we tried basically every appetizer/entree/dessert on the menu and everything was mouthwatering. My favorite items were the curried carrot soup, schnitzel with mushroom sauce and pecan pie while my husband truly enjoyed the potato and leek soup, cod in white wine sauce and the new york style cheesecake. They also provided a full children's menu with like 8 items on it so your kids will never get bored of the food as well. You could tell that the food was made with pride, everything was homemade and tasted better than i could have ever imagined.

So, to sum up my experience at Halimar, I'll quote my son who said that he would like to come back for a trillion million sleeps. While i can't guarantee that we'll come back for that long, I was happy to hear that this resort offers a loyalty program so we'll definitely be back in the near future.

Honestly, if you're contemplating going to this resort just book it. You won't regret it.

Sharon

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank jadestress
Newmarket, Ontario
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We have stayed at Halimar 4 times over the past 5 years. We have stayed in 3 different
units and all are clean, beautifully located and have all the amenities one could want.
The owners are very friendly and will do whatever is necessary to make you feel at home.
The food served in the dining room is excellent quality and more than enough in quantity. We always leave the table "stuffed". This includes breakfast and dinner. If you have children
there are plenty of activities to keep them occupied and a beautiful beach for swimming or just playing at the waters edge. I have one unit that I prefer because it has a large deck
overlooking the lake and in itself is very private. All units have wood burning fire places,wood supplied, Star Choice satellite t.v and DVD/VCR players and free movies.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Blitzen467
toronto
Reviewed 26 June 2009

I just came back from an amazing 4 day vacation at halimar resort. I must say i had an amazing time! I travelled with my husband and two children (ages 8 and 10). The resort was just beautiful as it is (literally steps away) from the lake. We stayed in a cottage that had two bedrooms, a sitting area. tv, kitchen, and fire place.

There was so much to do during our stay and the kids were well entertained. The kids often swam in their beautiful outdoor pool, played board/outdoor games (which was provided), played on the outdoor playground (slides, swings, etc), or built sand castles. My husband and i were also entertained as there is a basketball, tennis, and volleyball court. We would even relax by the pool or in the gazebo or take out canoe, kayak, or paddle boat out when feeling adventurous (WHICH WAS FREE!!! :D).

I would recommed that everyone take advantage of the food package they offer as it includes a great hot breakfast and gourmet style 3 course dinner. The food was deliciious and not having to worry about making dinner or leaving the resort to eat was just priceless. A few times after dinner my husband and i would have a few drinks at their beautiful bar (which also has preimum liquor ;)) as the kids watched
tv on their flat screen tv in the lounge or played fooseball or used the pool table.

I think Halimar resort is good for people with families, couple on a romantic getaway, older or even younger adults as it has ammenities that everyone can enjoy.

I would definitely visit Halimar again! Staff and owners were very friendly and made our stay a 5 star!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank sandynsunny
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed 19 October 2008

My husband and I just got back from a really nice stay at Halimar. The owner was very friendly and accomodating. The food was pretty good- not 5 star but good basic food.
The cottage we stayed in was really nice, with a wood burning fireplace and 2 person jacuzzi in the room. The bed was comfortable as well. The grounds were nice, and hiking trails are right across the street.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank mboyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haliburton
19.1 km away
Nomi Resort
#1 of 1 in Harcourt
1.3 km away
GetAways at Haliburton Heights

Been to Halimar Resort? Share your experiences!