“Needed a Rest-Found One”

Horseshoe Bay Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Vancouver
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Stayed here on my 7 week road trip across Canada & the U.S.
After fighting traffic gridlock in downtown Vancouver that afternoon it was time to pull off the road and get a place for the night before taking the ferry to Nanaimo the next morning. This motel offered me the peaceful retreat I needed after a day of noise and constant GPS instructions!
MY room was a little dated but otherwise clean, comfortable, and close enough to the downtown for an easy walk to check out local shops. I found the staff especially friendly and helpful in suggesting good local eating establishments to try. In fact, they gave me a card for Blenz Coffee so I went there and loved it. I returned the favour by picking up a takeout for the girl at the front desk (sorry I can't remember her name) and also tried a place on the main street just down from the motel for some of the best fish & chips I've ever had. Took a picture before I devoured that plate! Met some really interesting people back in the parking lot from all over the world..a father and his daughter over from Germany and another gentleman from Texas who loved our Tilley hats! He was checking mine out...I was checking his out. Any time you see somebody wearing a Tilley hat you know he's a seasoned world traveller and a conversation always strikes up!
I found this to be a quiet place to sleep with some spectacular views down at the wharf. The only thing I found strange and it has nothing to do with the motel is the fact that even though you're within "spitting" distance of the ferry you have to drive out of town and then head back towards Vancouver and then take the next exit and turn around and head back in order to get on the ferry!
One of the locals told me in the past you could just drive from the motel directly over to the ferry lines which is about 100 yards at most but the port authority in all it's wisdom decided to do away with all that and force people to drive 20 miles out of their way to go that same 100 yards. Yes folks, we live in an age where the powers in charge specialize in using sledge hammers to peel oranges and can justify it while doing so... mark my words, they will justify this "new and improved" way for people in Horseshoe Bay to get to the ferry!

Room Tip: Leave lots of time to get to the ferry!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
atthebay, Manager at Horseshoe Bay Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Dear Wheyboy,

Thank you for your comments. We are so pleased to have been a successful part of your seven week cross Canada & USA road trip.

We take great pride in the friendliness of our staff. We are very happy that we were able to provide you with a positive and comfortable environment. . Thank you for your own generosity - it was really kind of you to bring our Front Desk Associate, Shannon, a treat from the Blenz Coffee Shop.

The only part of your review which needs clarification is the driving distance from the Horseshoe Bay Motel to the Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal. The driving distance is actually only 9 kms (approximately 5.5 miles). Perhaps you traveled further east than necessary before you circled back towards Horseshoe Bay. We usually provide our guests with exact directions to the Ferry Terminal. It is most unfortunate that we did not this particular time as it would helped you considerably. We trust that the balance of your trip was good and we hope to welcome you back to The Horseshoe Bay Motel in the very near future. Bree

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Horseshoe Bay is a separate little community outside of West Vancouver. It is quiet and not overly traveled by the tourists. Staying in such a small village was very much a treat from the noise and confusion of the big cities. Right in the middle of this charming town was the Horseshoe Bay Motel. Not very big, but full of surprises. The parking area is surrounded by a brick wall that adds to your sense of security. The rooms are large and well appointed. We actually had a queen sleigh bed in our room, surrounded by quality furniture that was purchased at a high end furniture store. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and roomy. Best part of the motel was the front staff. Both the owner and her crew saw to our every need; from where to go and what to do, to directions and shortcuts. I love this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
atthebay, Manager at Horseshoe Bay Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Dear Pilot7700,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. We are grateful for all customer feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff, our priority is to make sure our guests are happy and comfortable and to share our knowledge of local places to visit and attractions not to be missed. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back to The Horseshoe Bay Motel. Naomi

Reviewed 4 October 2012

The Horseshoe Bay Motel looks like a basic motel from the outside, but the rooms are very nice and closer to what you would expect at a bed and breakfast (minus the breakfast unfortunately, but we were given a discount card to a local coffee place). The room was comfortable, well appointed; had a microwave and a coffee pot and the tub was nice and deep. Internet access was a nice bonus. The rooms were also immaculate. Well worth the drive out of Vancouver.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
atthebay, Manager at Horseshoe Bay Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear Freebcat,
We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to post a review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you were able to make use of the Blenz Coffee Shop discount coupon!
Thank you again for your vote of confidence. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Bree

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Stayed at the Horseshoe Bay on a recent motorcycle trip to Powell River. Another reviewer posted the place has bed bugs but this is a outright lie. The room was a little warn but clean & tidy. The internet worked great. The location is very convenient for a short walk down to the main street for food or checking out the bay. The staff at the desk was friendly and responsive. The cost is a little high but hey, it's tourist season and that is when they have to make their money. Resting up after a long motorcycle ride from Portland made it easy to transition to the ferry the next day. Nice little town. Nice little place. We will be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
atthebay, Manager at Horseshoe Bay Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear Mr. Motoman,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to get fully rested after your very long motorcycle ride. We look forward to welcoming you back – the sooner, the better! We are very grateful for your kind comments.
Bree

Reviewed 28 August 2012

This motel is close to the ferry terminal and convenient if you want to catch the early ferry. The staff were friendly, the room was simple, but clean and comfortable. A coffee machine and coffee are provided and kettles available on request.
Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank goodgar
atthebay, Manager at Horseshoe Bay Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Goodgar,
Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased that your stay in Horseshoe Bay was successful and we hope to welcome you again. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Bree

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed here recently, and although the room was very nice, and the service upon arrival was friendly, we were extremely disappointed when we returned to our room late in the night, only to find out there was no parking available. I knocked on the front door because the sign said 'open', but no one was there. We ended up having to park down the road at the ferry termnal's pay-parking, which cost another $12. In the morning when I mentioned this to the front desk, she told me there was extra parking in the back. Since this information was never mentioned beforehand, and there are no signs indicating 'extra parking', it was impossible for us to have known about it; Therefore, I feel this was an error on their part, no ours. Since then, I've also heard that they sell their parking spots to non-guests. I'm not sure if this was the case on the night we were there, but I think if you pay for a room, you should have a spot to park. I was disappointed they didn't offer to reimburse our parking fee after I mentioned the situation to her the following morning. I wanted to like this place, and use it again, as the rates are good, and the rooms are nice; but I was so disappointed that they blamed us for not taking more steps in finding parking. I don't think this is the responsibility of the guest to have to make great efforts to hunt down someone for help for, what I feel, is a basic accomodation that should be easily provided.

Room Tip: Make sure you take it upon yourself to inquire about parking and ensure yourself a spot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank forsythia12

Dear Forsythia,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and the room comfortable. I understand that you went to the Metallica concert in Vancouver and returned to the Horseshoe Bay Motel shortly after 3am. We did have staff on duty . A sign was posted on the door notifying guests to phone our office (phone number was included) if anything needed to be addressed. There is also a doorbell beside the door which could have been rung. None of our staff on duty that night heard you knock at the door. Had you followed the posted instructions, you would have been served immediately. Perhaps you knocked quietly to avoid waking our guests. The doorbell would have been effective, or as instructed, a brief phone call would have solved your problem. We always ensure that we have sufficient parking for our guests. I regret that your stay was disappointing and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you again. Bree

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night in June 2012. Great location if you are getting the ferry across to Vancouver Island. The owner is very friendly & helpfull. There are a few places near by to get something to eat and drink. The room was very clean and well appointed, but could do with redecorating a bit more modernly, but I'd certainly stay again for a single night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Ossett

We are very pleased that you found our Motel conveniently located. We are grateful for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Bree

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Vancouver
Best Western Capilano Inn & Suit...
#3 of 10 in North Vancouver
North Vancouver Hotel
#5 of 10 in North Vancouver
Travelodge Vancouver Lions Gate
#8 of 10 in North Vancouver
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites North...
#2 of 10 in North Vancouver
West End
Rosellen Suites At Stanley Park
Downtown
Executive Hotel Le Soleil
Executive Hotel Le Soleil
#10 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to Horseshoe Bay Motel? Share your experiences!