“Very popular with the locals.”

Carmelo's Ristorante Italiano
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 14th & 15th St.
Transit: Blue Bus Routes: Vancouver 250, 251, 252 Park Royal 253 Lynn Valley 255 UBC 258
Description: Carmelo's has been the mainstay of Italian dining in West Vancouver for over twenty years. As fresh today as it was at the beginning. Carmelo's offers a cozy dining experience for all ages and tastes. Featuring a wood fired pizza oven to give you arguably the best pizza in Vancouver, pastas to make your mouth water and entrees ranging from fresh local seafood, lamb rack and numerous veal dishes. The fresh sheet is just that, fresh. The menu is not overly "fussy". Carmelo's is the comfort food place that the locals drop in for a bite to eat without hurting the budget.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A small restaurant with lots of atmosphere close to the ocean in Ambleside. Attentive service and white tablecloths add to the overall great experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It had been many years since we have gone to Carmelo’s. It was my husband’s turn to pick the restaurant for our evening out and when he suggested it I reminded him that we had gone there many years ago with friends and I did not find it to be that good. It was his pick, however and he said that they had many good reviews. I thought we would give it another try. Restaurants do change over time and maybe we were just there on any off night before.

We made reservations for Sunday evening. We were warmly greeted when we arrived. I thought the air had a stale musty smell to it – not fresh. It was fairly quiet when we arrived and we were given the option of a window seat or a seat by the wall. We chose a seat by the wall. As the evening progressed and it got busy the room was very noisy. The décor is lovely and the tables are nicely set with white tablecloths and the lighting is appropriate, but the tables are too closely placed together. We could easily hear the conversation at the table beside us and the table behind us and I’m sure that they would also be able to hear our discussions. If you’re looking for a nice romantic evening and having a nice conversation with your companion this is definitely not the place for it.

My husband always likes his pasta when we go out for Italian food but we were not hungry enough to share a pasta as we often do. Our server said that we could substitute a basic pasta for the mashed potatoes and vegetables or we could substitute one of the pastas off the main menu for an additional charge of $4.00. We shared an appetizer of prawns in beurre blanc and Sambuca sauce with diced tomatoes. A nice serving of bread was brought to the table and it was lovely to dip the bread into the sauce. The prawns were nicely cooked and it was a very nice start. For our entrees I ordered the Tuscan chicken and asked to have pasta with garlic and olio. My husband asked for the lamb T-bone chops with penne salsicca substituted for the potatoes and vegetables. The presentation was nice and my chicken looked lovely but the breast meat was overcooked and the leg was extremely salty. I had the waitress remove my entrée as I did not want to eat overcooked salty food. It was $29.00 by the way so it was very pricey for the quality. My husband’s lamb T-bone was okay. He said it was average. I think he was being generous. The bite he gave me was one of the worst pieces of lamb chop that I’ve had. It was tough and there was a large piece of gristle on it. Maybe the rest of his chops were better. He did say the second chop was better than the first. I ordered a pepperoni pizza for my meal and it was good. When we go out for dinner I like my meal to at least as good as and preferably better than what I can make myself. This is especially true if the prices are on the high side. We were offered a complimentary dessert but by this time we’d had enough. The staff were very good, especially the young lady from Marseilles. She continually kept our glassed topped up and took very good care of us.

My husband said that after our meal last evening that he would not return as there are far better Italian restaurants that we frequent.

1  Thank vbrother
Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

A fine restaurant indeed- to be visited and remembered. Restaurants are often assessed by their clientele and this one certainly has discerning customers. It shows in the rustic Trattoria kind of ambience backed up by authentic Italian food with visual appeal and great flavour. The pizzas, pastas and grills are all there waiting to be ordered. The servers are efficient if a bit harried by the full house. Good selection of beers and wines. Would visit again when in Vancouver next. Don’t miss guys!

Reviewed October 9, 2018 via mobile

One of the best Italian restaurants I’ve been to. The pizza was delicious and cooked really well in their wood fired pizza oven. We walked in without booking, and upon seeing a full restaurant we expected to be turned away, but the host found some space and was very helpful. Lots of choice for vegetarians and decent sized portions. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

If you want a great Italian dinner in a wonderful location this is the place. Excellent food and great service. We have been coming back here year after year and will definitely be back.