“not the night I called for takeout”

Swad Indian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Swad Indian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 166 Restaurants in West Vancouver
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Description: Located in the heart of West Vancouver is Swad Indian Kitchen. “Swad” means the gateway to taste of India. This warm inviting and elegant decor provides the experience of traveling through the rich flavours of India.The diverse menu with garlic influenced dishes represents the different states of India. Experience a truly unique culinary experience with traditional and fusion infused creations that will guarantee your return visits.With over 35 years of experience we confidently create extraordinary authentic high end delicacies and specialties that will awe your family, friends and business colleagues. We serve Halal meat as well.
Reviewed January 21, 2018

I have heard very good things about this restaurant, and my experience may well have been atypical. I called for some food to pick up. I was asked to come in 25 minutes. I came at 30 minutes and was told the food wasn't ready yet. At 45 minutes I got the food. Half of the order was stone cold. Really good butter naan though.

Reviewed December 30, 2017

Comfortable ambiance...good Indian food...great service.
Most of the dishes were lacking the real Indian flavors.
The medium spice dishes were too mild to be interesting.
We would only order strong spice dishes the next time...

Reviewed December 27, 2017

We took my parents to celebrate their anniversary to Swad. The atmosphere was lovely, service was good and our dished came promptly. My favourite dishes were the eggplant and the lamb rogan. The brown rice was well prepared. This place has the best naan I've ever tasted - fluffy and crisp.

Reviewed December 8, 2017

My husband’s newest favourite restaurant on the north shore... He loves the butter chicken and the lamb....I like the atmosphere and garlic naan bread...staff and management are great...we also do take-out frequently.

3  Thank Stonecliff
Reviewed October 21, 2017

I am used to dropping in for a bit of lunch at streetside eateries in West Van., and had walked by Swad a few times, always wondering why there were so few people seated there.

So when a trio of us on a rainy Saturday just after noon wanted what we thought would be a quick ethnic bite, Swad was not top of tongue. But that is where we ended up, entering through the back door into the warm red hued decor of a completely empty restaurant. The maitre d' was on the phone talking in a very animated manner, and waved us through to sit down.

Ten minutes later, he was still on the phone, there was no sign of any other diners on the horizon, and I was sorely tempted to walk out.

Just then, he got off the phone and came to the table with apologies. It had been his boss, the owner. "My name is Mohit. Did we want some papadams to start out with?"

I got him to slow down a bit, asking questions. Why was the place empty, where was the lunch menu? The answers were credible- lunch menu only during the week for the benefit of local workers, and this was West Van- people came here for dinner, not lunch on the weekends. Did I want to look at how full his dinner reservations were?

To be truthful, the table settings were pretty formal with proper linens and assorted stemware. And if we wanted, he could bring out the lunch menu.

Instead, as we warmed to his charm and confidence, we switched gears. This was not Indian cuisine, it was Northern India cuisine- his chef Sumeet, from a village with an unpronounceable name just south of the Kashmir border. "No, we don't bring dishes all at once, but in an order. Can I suggest some items?". What he suggested was pretty much what we had been considering, and then some. "Our part of India is known for its lamb, and the moogdum kebabs are very good".

He deftly guided us through the menu, and our planned afternoon went down the drain, as he assembled a small feast it items.

Which duly arrived, one at a time, each more delicious than the last. The tastes were absolutely pure and distinct- fennel and coriander, mint and garlic, masala based curries. In a word- divine.

Not often have I felt I wanted to work through an entire menu, but the upside is we will return. Soon. Repeatedly.

Yes, the cost was about double what we had anticipated, but the quality about four times as good. The wine list is ambitious and thoughtful. Whoever put it together knows a fair bit, and does not pander to mediocrity.

We declined dessert and even chai tea. Those will wait until next time.

Do go- and do so on a Saturday at noon. You will get Mohit's almost undivided hospitality and charm (phone calls excepted), his unabashed pride in what Swad serves up.

By the time we left at close to 3pm, the place had a few more tables in service, and I noticed nobody was in a hurry- just gentle murmurs and nodding in approval as people ate. Dining as it was meant to be.