“surprised to hear.....”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I'm very surprised to hear about this past wedding at Black Rock Resort. I've had the opportunity to attend 2 weddings there over the past 6 months, one in the ball room and one in the wine cellar. Both were among some of the best weddings I've been to thus far. I felt the wedding planner was efficient, very approachable and an incredibly sincere woman. Enough to compel me to respond to these negative comments on her work. She went over and above the call of duty, making table settings, smoothly accommodating last minute guest list changes and seating. She offered some beautiful, simple and unique ideas for decorating and then executed them herself. Elegant indeed! Needless to say, she smoothly orchestrated both these events which is a clear testament to her experience and time spent prior to the occasion.
Thank you again and keep up the good work. It's highly appreciated by many!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank carys j
There are newer reviews for Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here as our last weekend to relax before moving and having our baby.

We had a one bedroom suite, and it was lovely! Sunday was our full day there, and it poured all day long, but we were very comfortable inside the whole time with the TV in the living room and the sound of the rain and waves out the window. The furniture is contemporary in style, but still very cozy feeling, which I appreciate very much.
The bed was divine. I was expecting to be a little uncomfortable, being 8 months pregnant in an unfamiliar bed, but it was not the case! There were plenty of pillows to keep me supported and the mattress was the perfect firmness.

The kitchen is super well stocked and we were able to enjoy most of our meals in the suite.
The one meal we partook of downstairs was the special buffet they had on Sunday morning for Valentine's weekend. There was an excellent selection of hot and cold dishes, fresh fruit (even fresh berries!) and delicious coffee. It was nice to sit and watch the ocean out the window.

The one negative thing I would say is that the rooms was quite warm most of the time, which I did not understand because the thermostats were set to 15 degrees. Because of this, we did not turn on the fireplace or the heated floors in the bathroom. I'm sure they would be great though!

Both people we interacted with at check in and check out were very friendly and professional, as well as a housekeeper we saw in the hall one day.

3  Thank LariJoy
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Spent the afternoon at Blsck Rock after a delicous lunch we headed to the spa!! Exceptional service throughout our entire visit!!! A hot stone masssge and foot scrub was fabulous followed by a soak in the hot tub to enjoy the amazing view!!

3  Thank luv2travel0909
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We just came back from storm watching the Pacific Ocean at Ucluelet on Vancouver island, BC.
The Black Rock has some of the most beautiful views and pounding surf of the many we saw on the West coast. The hotel is exceptional in its upscale yet charming ambience. The staff are helpful and friendly, the amenities beautiful and an all round pampering experience. Outdoors can be a rugged or as sadate as you would like it to be. All the while, the view is breathtaking.

Room Tip: ocean view on any floor is sunny with beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2012

First time to Black Rock Resort, and the view was spectacular. The room was nice; had a kitchenette, 2 fireplaces and lots of windows. Very warm in the room, as both fireplaces had pilot lights on, but just opened the windows to the sounds of the waves anyways.
Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place, but they cut corners, and it was obvious. First off, the washroom - how nice; a heated floor...but nowhere that it actually counted. They only used one panel in the flooring, and it wasn't located anywhere that you would actually stand - not in front of the shower, the sink, the tub or the toilet; basically a strip that ran the center of the washroom. A nice light-up magnified mirror in the washroom...but where to put it? The counter is hip high, and no stool, etc. to sit on to use it (brought a chair from the dining area into the washroom). Instead of building some sort of shelving or cupboard under the sink in the washroom, the hair dryer is in a bag on the floor and the extra roll of tp is on the floor, both under the sink??...could have at least gone into a basket of some sort! The shower was nice, and liked the "rocks" in the base of the shower too.
Stepped on exposed carpet "tacks" at the edge of the kitchen lino/living room carpet. Door to the deck wouldn't open unless you kicked the bottom of the door, and the housekeeping was lacking...hallway carpet outside our room took a day and a half to be vacuumed (looked like cracker crumbs), what looked like a "used" toothpick in the living area, a bottle of red wine that was 3/4 consumed when we first arrived (we notified the front desk; they gave us a complimentary bottle as well as taking away the opened one), what looked very similar to someone's lip prints on the bedroom window were not cleaned off!

Ate our dinner at "Fetch" restaurant. Good food, what little there was! Very limited menu in both the lounge and the restaurant. I must admit, I am not willing to try "elk" and such, as my husband did, but they don't really cater to everyone. I ordered the short ribs, which lucky for me, was substituted with a tenderloin. Very tasty, but very, very small portion of everything on my plate. My husband tried the elk, which was also ok, but very small in portion size.

All in all, it was a very nice weekend. The Black Rock is a nice resort, but could do better in some aspects; especially for the price we paid (no groupon or discount)!!! The view is incredible, the sunset and sunrise were absolutely spectacular and we enjoyed walking the Wild Pacific Trail. Drove to Tofino to eat at Long Beach Lodge Resort the second night (which we have stayed at before, and will return to again), and ate breakfast both mornings at Masterson House - little tiny house/restaurant with a very "homey" and satisfying breakfast. Will return to Long Beach Lodge instead.

3  Thank mexicoamigosx2
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I live by the reviews on Tripadvisor, so if this helps sway one person's decision towards staying at the Black Rock Resort, I will be a happy person. I have never felt so incredibly welcome and utterly relaxed during a 2-night stay before staying at this resort. I'll start at the beginning (this could be long, so get comfy!) and note, I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH THIS RESORT. Just a VERY satisfied customer!

My fiancé and I booked a weekend at Black Rock via Groupon for my birthday from 2/4-2/6, and while Groupon offered an already incredible deal, the unbelievable staff enhanced our stay with incredible customer care, providing amazing extra touches. Check in is at 4pm, and upon our early arrival at 2pm, I mentioned to a VERY patient Melissa at the front desk, that my fiancé and I are considering the resort for our impending nuptials. Melissa was so sweet, said that it was fine that we were early AND proceeded to let us choose from two different rooms. She mentioned as luck would have it, a wedding was starting in 15 minutes, that we should follow the trail she outlined for us, watch the nuptials, and our room would be ready when it was over. Due to my choice of room, they had to switch around the amenities and we were still in our room before 3pm!

Our sanctuary (The Room): W-O-W. Picture jaw dropping, awe-inspired beauty. Now, times that by 10 and it MIGHT come close to how beautiful it was. We were in building 23 on the second floor in a one-bedroom suite with an unimpeded, unobstructed blissful view of the ocean with the sound of waves crashing against the black rock; so close, in fact, that it felt as though we were in a bure in the middle of the ocean. Upon entering, we found our bottle of wine c/o Groupon, and a note with birthday wishes c/o the wonderful personnel, as well as an “island wedding” booklet – it was such a nice touch! The room was spacious, with every kitchen amenity one could need, and decorated modernly (although lovely, takes a backseat to the floor to ceiling windows with the ‘to die for’ view!). As other reviews mentioned, the HUGE slate bathroom is marvelous, including a massive soaker tub with a peek-a-boo window with sliding doors that you can keep open to view the ocean while you soak. The SPA shower with rock floor feels like a massage for the feet, all whilst being sprayed with light kisses of water from the rain showerhead on the ceiling. The slate floors were heated, and again, amenities for days (sham/cond, body lotion, gel, makeup remover wipes for the ladies, q-tips, hair dryer, & my fave – bath robes!). After sitting outside on our wrap around deck, watching the sunset, enjoying a cocktail in the unseasonably warm weather, we made our way in front of the fireplace to listen to some music, easily plugging our iPod into the state of the art speaker system under the beautiful Samsung flat screen (note they even had an iPod compatible alarm clock!). After several attempts to light the fireplace, we phoned guest services at 10pm and they sent someone to our room within 20 minutes to fix it (SO NICE!). As for the bed, extremely comfortable, AMPLE extra pillows and blankets, and a beautiful view from the bedroom, as well.

Our bliss (the Drift Spa): My fiancé didn’t think to book the spa in advance, so he called and left a message late Saturday night for availability on Sunday. They returned our call promptly on Sunday morning, offering utter flexibility around our schedule, so the both of us were able to get treatments! Upon entering, we were led to our respective locker rooms, changing into our comfy robes and flip flops. We then sat in a waiting area, filling out paperwork, enjoying a glass of refreshing cucumber water, whilst overlooking the ocean through floor to ceiling windows. There is a hot tub and pool right outside the spa with that same dramatic view, as well. My fiancé had his massages with Nicole, whom he thought was wonderful; very courteous, taking cues on pressure, focus areas, etc. When I saw him afterward, he was in a complete glorious DAZE! I had my treatments with Jill (mini-facial, body wrap, and exfoliation) and if you are lucky enough to work with her (or smart enough to REQUEST her!), you WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED. She was attentive, knowledgeable, professional; simply fabulous. After my treatments, my skin glowed, I was relaxed, and she left a skin moisturizer sample for me! It’s no wonder this spa was rated #13 of the top 100 spas in 2011 – if you want total peace, serenity, and relaxation, you MUST book with them during your stay. You will NOT be disappointed.

The eats: As part of our Groupon, we had a $50 gift cert that we applied to the Fetch restaurant in the hotel. We made the reservation in advance via the hotels online concierge, which was great! The Hostess was so charming upon greeting us, wishing me a “Happy Birthday!” We were promptly seated, and she even recommended I sit facing the window so I could “get a good view of the moon.” Again – W.O.W. Our server was attentive and he made several wonderful recommendations. The food was quite tasty, and although on the pricier side, was worth it based on the beyond fresh ingredients, lovely presentation, and perfectly cooked food. We started with an oyster appetizer, which were sumptuous. He had the bison sirloin (delish!), I had scallops (more delish!!). We did skip desert, but not because the choices didn’t look sinful and delicious (they had a white chocolate croissant bread pudding – mmm!). They also have quite an extensive wine list, for those “winos.”

Last but not least, after a long/day night of consuming cocktails and staying up late on Super Bowl Sunday (GO GIANTS!!), the resort was kind enough to give us a late check-out on Monday morning (and this may not be all that important to anyone else, but I find it quite amazing as they need to turnover the room).

We had THE most fantastic time taking hundreds of photos, walking the trails on the premises (and in town), and trying some of the local fare (UKEE DOG IS A MUST & Jigger’s if you’re a fish n’ chip lover!). People in Ukee are incredible!

THANK YOU Black Rock Oceanfront Resort for making our weekend so special! After this visit, I believe I have found my wedding destination.

S.B. from Nanaimo

Room Tip: Pacific Spirit rooms have the best ocean views, and request a room on at least the 2-4th floors. We...
1  Thank S B
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Wow.. you have truly made our day here at Black Rock. We are so pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and everything the resort has to offer. I am even more pleased that you left the resort with the exact feeling we want our guests to leave with... feeling cared for! Thank you so much for making the decision to stay with us, truly appreciated... we look forward to taking care of you again in the future.

All the best... Adele Larkin, General Manager

Reviewed 4 February 2012

My husband and I booked in for four nights to Black Rock Resort upon recommendation from friends. Even though we arrived with high expectations based on rave reviews from friends, this place exceeded our expectations! The ambiance is incredible, the one bedroom suite is spacious and has a full kitchen, and is decorated beautifully. Both restaurants are fantastic, and the service is friendly and efficient. Can't wait to come back!

1  Thank Anne T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
32.6 km away
29.7 km away
Long Beach Lodge Resort
100.0 km away
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!