“Close to nature but missed the mark”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Canada
“Close to nature but missed the mark”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Black Rock Resort looks like a 5 stars when entering the lobby, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurant had good food, the lounge is great. Our room had a great view of the ocean and the waves are great. The problem is in the small details.. fire place doesn't work, this should have been check by house keeping; the balcony door was hard to open and close and still didn't figure out how to lock the door. Bathroom light switches are behind the bathroom door make it hard to access and the floor are cold. I can see gap on some of the wall plug, this may be small detail, but for the price of the room, this should not happened.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LuvTravelGal
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments. You are correct, the issues that you experienced with the fireplace were avoidable. Our goal is to get into every suite prior to arrival to ensure that everything is in working order, it appears the fireplace was missed in your suite. Please accept our sincere apologies. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything else you wish to report, I would very much appreciate knowing what suite you were in so we may address the issues you commented on.

Regards, Adele Larkin alarkin@blackrockresort.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Black Rock resort lived up to all the previous comments. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Our dog also loved the front desk staff as they gave her some fabulous treats. We ate/drank in the lounge; the staff was very attentive and service was excellent. We were on the storm watching package; however the weather was not stormy but beautiful sunshine; therefore we spent hours walking/hiking the trails and beaches. Our Pacific Spirit room was fantastic; the view utterly amazing. Overall this resort gets an excellent rating.

Room Tip: Pacific Spirit rooms have an amazing view
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The event planner and all of the staff at Black Rock are truly amazing! My husband and I feel so fortunate to have had their help in not only our wedding plans but our engagement as well! We fell in love with Black Rock on our very first trip there and so my husband decided to take me back to Black Rock to propose... The event planner and her staff were wonderful and helped him with all of his plans... from ordering the red roses... setting the table to his request... bringing out champagne and helping to make our night romantic... it all felt very magical... and imagine our pleasant surprise when we arrived back at our room to find candles and chocolate as well as a card congratulating us on our engagement from the resort management and staff!! and then... The Wedding... Where do I begin... we set our wedding date with little thought about how to arrange everything from a distance with less than 3 monthes to the wedding day! The event planner and her assistant did everything for us.. We wanted our wedding to be elegant and that was exactly how it turned out! The staff were so helpful and even delivered our wedding gifts to each other prior to our ceremony on a silver tray!! We started with the wedding in the wine cellar... oh my... how romantic they helped to make the setting which included serving our guests champagne at the end of the ceremony for our first toast! They then transformed the same venue to our seated dining request of 35 guests while we had photo's taken... All of our special dinner requests were made available even the wine we requested was brought in special for our day! Once again... the wedding planner and her assistant were wonderful and were part of our day... from helping with the music to walk down the aisle to ensuring my guests were treated and served with exellent service. Our guests then moved upstairs to the ballroom to dance and enjoy the remainder of the evening.. The set up was amazing and once again was elegant... Thank you K & N for making our day everything we imagined it would be!! Our guests are still in awe and can't wait to return on their own!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We can not begin to describe how wonderful everyone was at the Blackrock! I contacted them many months in advance and worked monthly with the wedding planner. She was amazing and went ABOVE AND BEYOND what I would have ever expected. The wedding planner made all the arranements to take care of my flowers and cakes once I got them to the resort. She even decorated the cakes and of course looked after all my allergy needs with the wonderful chef. The food was perfect and served promptly as arranged. She managed to get all our guests amazing rates and upgraded us. The trail suits were perfect for our two dogs and easy access to the beach and trails. What can I say, the view can not be described. A MUST SEE! The rooms were beyond fantastic and almost my entire guest list has gone back to stay. We will be back later this month. Thank you Blackrock and all your staff for truely making this the most memorable and beautiful day for all of us.ve

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank M S
tofino
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I'm very surprised to hear about this past wedding at Black Rock Resort. I've had the opportunity to attend 2 weddings there over the past 6 months, one in the ball room and one in the wine cellar. Both were among some of the best weddings I've been to thus far. I felt the wedding planner was efficient, very approachable and an incredibly sincere woman. Enough to compel me to respond to these negative comments on her work. She went over and above the call of duty, making table settings, smoothly accommodating last minute guest list changes and seating. She offered some beautiful, simple and unique ideas for decorating and then executed them herself. Elegant indeed! Needless to say, she smoothly orchestrated both these events which is a clear testament to her experience and time spent prior to the occasion.
Thank you again and keep up the good work. It's highly appreciated by many!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank carys j
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here as our last weekend to relax before moving and having our baby.

We had a one bedroom suite, and it was lovely! Sunday was our full day there, and it poured all day long, but we were very comfortable inside the whole time with the TV in the living room and the sound of the rain and waves out the window. The furniture is contemporary in style, but still very cozy feeling, which I appreciate very much.
The bed was divine. I was expecting to be a little uncomfortable, being 8 months pregnant in an unfamiliar bed, but it was not the case! There were plenty of pillows to keep me supported and the mattress was the perfect firmness.

The kitchen is super well stocked and we were able to enjoy most of our meals in the suite.
The one meal we partook of downstairs was the special buffet they had on Sunday morning for Valentine's weekend. There was an excellent selection of hot and cold dishes, fresh fruit (even fresh berries!) and delicious coffee. It was nice to sit and watch the ocean out the window.

The one negative thing I would say is that the rooms was quite warm most of the time, which I did not understand because the thermostats were set to 15 degrees. Because of this, we did not turn on the fireplace or the heated floors in the bathroom. I'm sure they would be great though!

Both people we interacted with at check in and check out were very friendly and professional, as well as a housekeeper we saw in the hall one day.

3 Thank LariJoy
canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Spent the afternoon at Blsck Rock after a delicous lunch we headed to the spa!! Exceptional service throughout our entire visit!!! A hot stone masssge and foot scrub was fabulous followed by a soak in the hot tub to enjoy the amazing view!!

3 Thank luv2travel0909
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
32.5 km away
1.1 km away
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
#6 of 11 in Ucluelet

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!