Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Everything you'd want for a great surfing experience .

Owner Mike was fun to chat with at the shop as he set me up with a small group for my first ever... read more

Reviewed August 21, 2020
fayerj1
Duncan, Canada
Great spot

We are a family of 4 who rented wet suits and boards for 48hrs- the staff were friendly and... read more

Reviewed August 13, 2020
A_G_Pennypacker
Victoria, Canada
via mobile

All reviews small group instructor lesson replica clothing gear waves ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed April 30, 2017

The weather was nicer than expected on a recent trip to Ucluelet and I was feeling brave, so we decided on a surf lesson for a sunny morning. Relic was close by and the person who answered the phone was helpful with info and booking, including letting us know about the option to use the gear for the rest of a lesson day—done!

First, the great: Philippe, our instructor, was fun, friendly, and made us comfortable from the outset, and he has a great sense of how fast (or not!) to teach skills. He was perfect at working with two very different confidence and skill levels (including beginner) to get both of us kitted out with the right wetsuits and boards, comfortable in the water, standing up on waves, and generally having a great and exhausting time. We learned a lot and felt safe, even when trying new skills or bigger water--huge thanks to Philippe (and his awesome beach dog) for the perfect sunny surf day, and for the confidence to do it again! The owner, who was at the shop later, was also quite friendly and helpful with follow-up questions, and the shop itself is a good resource for clothing and gear.

Now, the not so great: We both appreciate a casual vibe and shoulder-season slow times, and aren’t demanding customers, but…a little professionalism wouldn’t hurt. After reluctantly dragging himself away from coffee and chatting with friends, the guy who did our registration paperwork barely spoke to or even looked at us, and the guy who checked our gear in at the end of the day was downright surly. We are not experienced surfers (hence paying you for LESSONS), so maybe aren’t your favourite clientele, but that doesn’t justify crap customer service. We understand that you’d rather be surfing than working with customers (wouldn’t we all!?), but probably best not to make it quite so obvious. It was just weird--almost like dealing with a different company.

So, five stars for the instructor, shop, and owner, anyway. We definitely recommend Philippe for lessons!

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed December 7, 2016

My husband and I rented surf boards at Relic and asked a bunch of questions about conditions and where to go for beginners. The staff was very informative and friendly and upon returning from our trip, he staff person even gave us a little snap back for our 1 year old son.

Good job Relic. You did well in my books. We'll be returning.

Date of experience: December 2016
1  Thank bromleyinnandsuites
Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

Most of the staff was very friendly, knowledable, and helpful.

We booked the boards without a lesson and they still let us go in the van to the beach without extra charge since we had no transportation.

I was upset that with a 3hour lesson, we only had about 1.5hrs of actual surf time and the van stopping to get gas cut into our 3 hours. The boards were low quality and made it hard to surf like we have in the past.

They brought their dog which was no problem for us dog lovers, however they left her in the car during the entire surf time with no water or anything.... a little upsetting.

After sufing in Tofino we were disappointed with the overall experience however i would still recommend for beginners in Ucluelet.

2  Thank robyncos
Reviewed August 15, 2016

I can't swim and have a fear of my head going under water so I had no intention or dreams of trying a surfing lesson. We went to Relic with the intention of getting lessons for our 10 and 14 year old daughters, but the friendly and enthusiastic staff at Relic Surf Shop talked myself and my husband into taking the lesson as well. ($79/person seems to be the going rate for most lessons in the Ucluelet/Tofino area so $320 for the four of us - best money I ever spent). There is a max of 5 in a lesson, but we ended up with a private lesson for just the 4 of us with our instructor, Phillip. Phillip was patient and clear in his instructions and methods. He genuinely wanted to see us do well and to enjoy and get the most out of our lesson. I figured I would be the one having a panic attack and having to be pulled out of the surf, but Phillip's confidence in me had me surfing on my stomach and even getting up to an almost standing position. I was so proud of myself and my ability to get past my fear that I have to say the experience was one of the highlights of my life! Phillip had my older daughter standing on her board on the 4th try. My younger daughter was more timid, but still did very well and had a great experience. Phillip deserves a medal for the experience he gave us. I told him I could check this off my bucket list, but I may even have to give it another try! Only down side was we parked next to Trudeau's body guards, but didn't get to see him on the beach!

1  Thank Cheryl B
Reviewed August 10, 2016 via mobile

An excellent surf shop for sure! Rented a board there and guys were great! Picked up a couple a hats and a t-shirt after my surf. Good selection of boards and they have lessons there too. Stop bye and say hi to the guys. I would defiantly rent boards there again.

1  Thank 694garyg