“The worst, so dissapponted”

Sand and Pearl Raw Bar and Fish Fry
Ranked #30 of 83 Restaurants in Picton
Price range: US$9 - US$45
Description: Oyster bar and local fish fry! Bonfires, food & fun located minutes from Sandbanks Provincial Park. Join us on Facebook, website and Instagram for menu updates, events and pictures!
Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

Visited this place with my family of 7. We had a reservation for 8. We arrived to some confusion over our table and then were seated. It took around 15 minutes to come get our drink order and then another 15 to get the (bottled) drinks. They then forgot to take the bottle caps off all 7 drinks- which were not twist off. It took around 10 minutes just to get someone to do that. We ordered oysters first which took around 20 minutes to come. They got the order wrong, and with no server around we had to go up to the bar and ask for our actual order. When we ordered our mains we were told they were all out of fish and chips- which was the main reason we came. We ordered the burgers and the seafood boil- some people ordered this dish to share as we were told it was large enough for 2. When they finally came out, they were dismally small- 2 shrimp, 2 crab legs, half a corn on the cob and around 6 mussels- for $35. When you add lobster for $10 it’s only actually half a lobster tail which wasn’t even cleaned out properly.The whole evening was slow and unsatisfying but the real kicker was when the table next to us who ordered an hour after us all received fish and chips. When we asked why we were told they had just ‘butchered’ a new fish and it was too late when we had put in our order.
It was too expensive for what we got, slow and not that good.

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank Amy E

Reviewed August 3, 2018

We went to Sand and Pearl Oyster Bar last Saturday night. I would like to write a review of the food but we never got any. After an hour and a half – no hot food. We did get some oysters after about 30 minutes . They were ok. We had better down the road the night before.
A more detailed report on the experience. We arrived approximately 7:20 PM at night. We sat down and were given menus. We went to the counter to order our meal. There is no waiter/waitress service to the table as such. So you order and then it is delivered.
We ordered 2 bottles of Pellegrino, a dozen oysters and an entrée and salad. We wait. Patiently. 15 minutes and the bottles of Pellegrino come. No need to mix drinks – just take from cooler. Ok a little long but fine and when I ask for a glass of ice and lime it comes quickly. We get out oysters about a half an hour after ordering. Again, a little long but ok.
Then the death march begins. And after approximately 45 minutes after the oysters, I ask a young server about our food. It is about 8:30 PM or so now. I say that it really an unacceptable wait. She disappears and 10 minutes later say “sorry, they are working on it.’ I should add here that most of the people who were there when we arrived are long gone and a bunch of people have come in after us and I see almost no food coming out of the kitchen. So we are perhaps the 2nd of 3rd table in the queue for food.
I watch another table give up and engage the owner. They came in long after we did and are heading out the door. I walk over and say I asked the young lady about our food and it is now almost an hour since oysters. He wants to say that when you order raw bar your food may be delayed in the queue. I say that the oysters came 45 minutes or more ago and I have not seen more than one table served and that all these other tables came in long after we were served oysters. I ask “how long?” He says he will check. I go back to the table and he goes to the kitchen. He comes out of the kitchen goes back behind the bar and says nothing to me.
And then the insulting, annoying, unacceptable thing happens. Food comes out for tables who have been there LESS than 30 minutes. A bunch of it.
I get up and approach him and he begins to scream at me. YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT. HE STARTS SCREAMING AT ME. “If you are going to yell at me – come over here and do it” He wants me to come to the register area so that I will be away from the tables. I say to him that people who showed up last are getting hot food? He wants to tell me the same ridiculous story about how the raw bar orders backs up your food. I do not buy it. He brings the chef out to talk to me and walks away. But not before telling me “If you yell at her, I am going to be very upset.” Meanwhile he is the one doing the screaming. We leave. They offered to pack up the food. We decide against and leave. It is not 9 PM and we have nowhere to go. It is too late.
This is the worst restaurant experience I have had in probably a decade or two. Nobody there seems to be running anything. What I mean is that nobody has their eye on the ball or is interested in making it better. For example, maybe someone might have thought about getting us our salad when the wait was outrageous. The fact that the owner is screaming at me instead of apologizing and passing me off to the chef who should be in the kitchen solving the disaster that is their service pretty much says it all.
This is not an inexpensive seafood shack. It is a top dollar restaurant with entrees $23-34. So the whole notion that you order at a counter and then wait seems to be a problem. I would suggest that if the front of house staff which seemed to number a half dozen actually had responsibilities to tables, they could perhaps be more aware if there are problems. Just my thought. I am sure I will be ignored.

4  Thank Robert L
Reviewed August 2, 2018

Stopped for an early dinner. Great casual atmosphere and knowledgeable staff. Food was delicious. Had oysters on the half shell to start and main was pickerel and chips. Fresh and well prepared. Coconut slaw was a new taste treat. Service was friendly and prompt.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

Driving along and saw this quaint little spot on the side of the road. Friendly service, amazing food and beverages. Sat under the covered patio while it rained and they brought us a candle in an oyster shell. Very pleased with our experience there. Anyone complaining about self serve has not spent much time in other parts of the world. It is very common and does not affect the price of the food. Just be happy you can tip less.
We will be back here at some point! Thank you!

1  Thank JenRen78
Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

Surprised! This place was rammed on a Saturday! We only had oysters and salad but I would go back for their full menu. Quirky, attentive and friendly staff. Love entertainment. This is a dining experience. Very casual and fun! You get your own water. It has a cafeteria feel but your spend at least $100

1  Thank Anthony M