“The cottage was very primitive and dirty”

Isaiah Tubbs Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Oakville, Ontario
“The cottage was very primitive and dirty”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Yes the sunset was beautiful but cottage No. 7 was primitive (no microwave etc)
We had to keep our shoes on as the floors were filthy. Upon entering there were thick cobwebs in every room. The windows were filthy with grunge in between them. Our porch ceiling leaked in 4 places and I alled twice and no one fixed it.
I will never go back. Definitely not a resort.
The swimming pool had cigarette butts around it and the outdoor furniture was old and stained.
Time to re-vamp.

Room Tip: Do not rent cottages. No one around me including me liked the cottages. A lot of money for little vl...
9 Thank Dalena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The cottages are absolutely horrible, and beyond disgusting. Stay away from this place- PERIOD!!!! I got ripped off and I don't want it to happen to you. The positive reviews in here are obviously plated by the owners because there is no possible way anyone could give this place a high rating after being ripped off like I was. $1582 with taxes is what I payed for a run down cabin!
Three bedroom cabin description:
Walk into kitchen: very old cupboards, delaminated counter top with water trapped under lamination, cast iron sink worn through the porcelain, single hot and cold faucet with no drain plug to fill the sink, fridge OK but you need to close the door manually to make sure it seals.
Eating area: yard sale reject furniture table and chairs, some chairs borderline broken
Living Room: more yard sale reject furniture, couches and chairs are soiled to the point you don't want to sit on them.
Bedrooms: all furniture is broken in some way- more yard sale rejects. The walls are paper thin and do not go to the roof / ceiling. It is basically one big room / cabin with partitions.
Bathroom: cast iron wall hung sink with single hot and cold faucets with no drain plug to fill, floors feel like you are going to fall through in spots, shower is cheap flimsy plastic stand alone unit (looks like it came from dollar store).
Lighting throughout cabin is all pull chain style basement fixtures.
Flooring: painted grey plywood and strip planks.
Being a tradesman / electrician / general contractor I can honestly say that these cabins are rife with building code and safety infractions. The electrical system in our cabin is so beyond meeting any sort of code it isn't even funny. In our bedroom lying in bed I could see 5 electrical code infractions.
Exterior deck: sits on deck blocks, leans back toward cottage but was probably the most up to date feature on the cabin.
Setting: shoreline setting with beautiful view negated by the the concrete that has been poured over the entire shoreline. There is a boat ramp there where to enter the water. It gets covered in algae and is so slippery that I fell on it twice despite walking with extreme caution. I fell once onto my wirst with all my weight - lucky I didn't break it and once onto my hip- luckily it is already titanuim replacement or I probably would have broken it.
The amenities:
Public Pool: looks like someone installed a pool inside of an old pool?!? Pool deck is patchwork of concrete and fence around is ready for replacement. Pool IS DANGEROURS!!!! Beware: first three steps are normal and last one is a big drop off! Building Code infraction- elderly people could easily be injured here.
Restaurant: bland food, poor service - slow.
Staff:
Front Desk: Friendly but no, "how was your stay?" I'm sure they don't want to know.
Maintenance Staff: LAZY!!!! My impression was that there was always some pow wow going on around some corner some where. The management needs to start cracking the whip! With so much to do there shouldn't be anytime for socializing.
We left 2 days early because we couldn't take this hole anymore. My children were asking to leave because they were even creeped out by this place....go figure!
STAY AWAY: TOTAL RIP OFF FOR A DUMP LIKE THIS.
The problem here comes down to management and management only. Either there is no money to make repairs, they don't care, or they have given up, or they don't have a clue of how to run this establishment. Please go bankrupt so someone can turn this place into the shining gem it could be.

22 Thank riNR0034
LannaBoBanna, General Manager at Isaiah Tubbs Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
In response to your posting 8 August 2011
I would request you change your title immediately.
The form you are using to voice your concerns should not allow
perverted language and it brings into question on how you know what a "Crack House"
looks like.
Once your title is changed I will be more than happy to discuss your problems on this form...or on the phone. Perhap coming to a understanding.

Travellers are raving about these Picton hotels

Ottawa
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We had a pleasant stay. We stayed in one of the lodges and found it to be fine. The room was not luxurious but the bathroom was clean and bright, and the room itself was fine minus a few stains on the chair. The staff was friendly, and the beach was quiet and very close to our room; although I would recommend water shoes as it was a bit rocky (small rocks) at the shore. We only had breakfast at the restaurant which consisted of a standard hotel/motel buffet. We mainly used the lodge as a base for touring the County so I can't comment on any of the other facilities. Our room may have been slightly overpriced but we would most likely stay here again.

1 Thank jillh_7
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We were a group of 15 family members, 7 adults, 3 teenagers and 4 children aged 4-8.
We are from Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa, excited to be holidaying together for the first time. We booked 3 cottages for 3 nights.
What a huge disappointment. Those cottages should be condemned. The kichens have black mould around the sink, and under it, where water leaks constantly, and the floorboards are rotting. Long nails poke out of the ceiling right above the top bunk bed where a 6 year old would have to sleep. There was a pile of dust behind one bedroom door.
We were supposed to have a gas barbecue, none was there, one of the staff found one for us which had a broken lid and was so encrusted with grease we had to clean it out before it would light. After several attempts to clean it well enough to put food on we gave up and cooked everthing in pans. (Incidentally the staff are very nice on the whole except the dining room, more of that later. The young woman told us we were the 16th major complaint they had that season.)
We braved the night in that derelect cottage, the beds were saggy but clean, but when the bathroom flooded after a shower the next morning and the girl said "Oh yes, it leaks from underneath', we had had enough and demanded to be moved.
We were put into rooms in Lodge #2, which were "okay". They have a loft bedroom which is unbearably hot (there is a real problem with air flow in these units) there is a huge floor standing air conditioner which has to be on all night to make the room bearable and sounds like there is a steam train going through your room all night. The sloped ceiling is so low I hit my head on it and I am 5 feet tall.
The whirlpool bath was not working and again, black mould down the side of the tub.
However we tried to make the best of it all and my son reserved a table for us all at the restaurant that night. When we arrived on time at 7.30, the woman at the entrance said "Oh you are the large group. We don't have a table for you. The person who took your reservation was not qualified to take it. We have had a lot of walk ins."
There were dozens of empty tables with that beautiful view, so my husband and son complained at the treatment we had received, her reply was "Alright, I will make you up a table, but be prepared for a VERY long wait" She was not even pleasant to us. As we had 4 hungry young children with us we left and drove into Picton to Angelo's which was great.
The days at Sandbanks beaches were wonderful, we were given passes, and our dinner at the Waupoos winery outstanding, but unless the Isaiah Tubbs resort changes hands and has a total makeover (Bulldozing those terrible cottages ) I would advise that you stay away. Such a shame, such a beautiful location.
With taxes it cost us over $900 each family for substandard accomodation, for 3 nights of discomfort.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Wallace014
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Despite some less than stellar reviews on trip advisor, we stayed here from July28 to August 1. . The dining room's cook - not chef - is ok. Food was not outstanding but edible. The staff that we encountered were very good to us, unlike some of the horror stories we heard from fellow guests, and our concerns were addressed fairly promptly. We had a jaccuzi room with a king bed and it was quite nice although not worth the price at all. The outdoor hallway leading to our room was covered with filthy outdoor carpeting that was soaked from the water from the window air conditioners. We had a view of the tired old outdoor pool and twice had to report diapered baby's being floated around the pool by extremely inconsiderate and foolish parents; I guess they don't care about ecoli or the safety of the other guests.
We had asked for a wakeup call on the day of our departure and did'nt get it; the staff were apologetic and gave us lots of time to vacate the room.
When speaking to other guests at the "resort" and out in the wineries we realized that we were very lucky that our experience wasn't worse than it was.
The place needs to shut down for at least a month for repairs and paint etc.
They cater to weddings and conferences first and foremost and the other guests had better be aware of that. A wedding will probably interfere with the amenities you paid extra for. We were unable to eat on the outdoor patio twice because a wedding party had commandeered it.
This is really not a great place for couples. They cater to groups first and families second.It is really more of a glorified campground than a resort.
We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: The king/jaccuzi overlooking the pool was ok - room 208
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Ont
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My girlfriends and I recently stayed overnight at one of the Isaiah Tubbs cabins as we needed a place to rest after a day of wine tasting. We loved the ambiance this quaint cottage provided - lake views, sunsets, rolling waves and we enjoyed a bonfire in the evening!
If you rent one of these cottages, you should go into it knowing it's rustic accommodations. The cabin was old, clean and well stocked.
We were only there one evening and would likely stay for a weekend, but no longer. New hotels, new beds, new decor would be appreciated after the 2nd evening.
We had a great girls weekend - It is what it is!

Just to note: We tried the restaurant at lunch on our first day as we wanted a quick take out - they informed us it would be over a 45 minute wait - we were not impressed. We then went for dinner around 8pm and again long waits, couldn't get the drinks we wanted, but the food was satisfactory. With all the restaurants in and around Picton, the "Restaurant on the Knoll" would not be our first choice.

Room Tip: Rustic Accomodations, clean and well stocked!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I have to admit that when i read some of the reviews, I was a little concerned about our upcoming trip to this resort. Therefore, when we arrived, I was pleasantly surprized. Yes it is a little outdated, but it was clean, and comfortable. The staff was amazingly helpful, and we received free passes to the sandbanks every day of our stay (a $16 /day value). The only complaint I would have about the room was the lack of blackout curtains. The pool was heated as advertised (not too hot, perfectly warm and refreshing on a hot day). There was no ice machine, but you simply have to ask at reception to get a bag of ice. The resort has a little beach and is quite assessible to the sandbanks and other attractions. Dinner at the restaurant was okay...expensive for what it was, and I would not recommend it given the number of good restaurants in the area. Compared to other accomodations in the area it was reasonably priced, particularly if you are looking for an outdoor pool (almost impossible to find in the area). We will stay here again if we go to this area again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
9.7 km away
Best Western Belleville
#2 of 7 in Belleville
30.9 km away
TownePlace Suites Belleville

Been to Isaiah Tubbs Resort? Share your experiences!