“Westlake Willy Waterpark - Sandbanks Provincial Park”

Sandbanks Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Picton
dorval
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Westlake Willy Waterpark - Sandbanks Provincial Park”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

This Place Was the highlight of our families trip to Prince Edward County!! As Parents we got to sit and relax at the waters edge and watch out children play all day. We participated when we wanted and the kids loved it. There are snacks, ice cream available and BBQ's to use free of charge. The waterpark had some pretty neat things including the BLOB Jumping tower. We definetly recommend this spot to any one travelling near sandbanks and the price is good.

Visited July 2010
11 Thank wblakey

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Merrickville, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Amazing beach never fails to delight”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I have been going to Sandbanks since I was a child although now that I leave further away I cannot go as often. We went on the Monday of the August long weekend and arrived at 9:15am. We had a free pass from Honda Canada so saved the $16 entrance fee. We had our choice of picnic tables when we arrived and chose one in the shade. By 11am the beach was filling up and by noon there was very little parking. The sand is soft and plentiful and the waves were great fun to swim and play in. You can walk out a great distance as the drop off is very gradual. We ate at the canteen and the food was not that great. Burgers and fries seemed to be okay, sandwhiches seemed stale and tasteless. Next time we'll do like most people and pack a lunch. We can't wait to return to Sandbanks again.

12 Thank simeon
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice campsite, beach was windy and cold”
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The neighbors tents were far enough and we were well isolated. The nature is beautiful and we saw a small snake and a water turtle. However, it was a bit cold and windy on the beach. We could not be layed on a towel as the wind was throwing sand at us.

2 Thank MrComments
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Nice place to beach, paddle, bike and hike, horrible to sleep”
Reviewed 14 June 2010

When we arrived Friday afternoon, the woman greeting us at the gate gave us no indications, and I had to ask for a copy of the site map,and general questions, being a first time visitor.

The sites were clean upon arrival, and washrooms amongst the best we've seen.

However, Friday night, there were 2 distinct groups that were unfortunately extremely loud, drunk, and partied until way past 2:30am. We could hear drinking games from their sites, near the washrooms, all the way to ours. I inquired about the noise policy on Saturday morning, and was assured there was a no noise policy that was strictly enforced. I then described the previous night, and got a shrug, and a respons that it was too late anyhow, but that there should be patrol the following night.

On Saturday night, the parties continued until 3am, with no interruption.

Also, we went over to Dune's beach on Sunday paddling from Outlet River, but there was no mention that the restrooms were closed before we got there. A note to that effect would have been appreciated upon our arrival.

My wife and I left with a bittersweet memory of Sandbanks. Beautiful place, but lacking proper Park etiquette and management it seems.

We do at least a dozen camping trips a year, summer and winter, in parks, complete wilderness, and even mom and pop's campground at times, and unfortunately, this was one of our biggest deception. We agreed that we will likely not be back.

12 Thank vwkayak
Toronto, Canada
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Fantastic Sand Dunes Beach, Striking Scenery”
Reviewed 7 December 2009

The Sand Dunes of Ontario are fantastic and unique. I live in the Toronto area; Sandbanks Provincial Park is approximately a two and a half hour drive from Toronto. The scenery at the beaches in the park is stunning; it felt like being at an exotic location.

I went hiking up and down the Sand Dunes, it is quite a strenuous activity trying to go uphill on sand hills! Just the hike in the Sand Dunes Beach portion took about an hour and a half to two hours. It was so hot walking in the summer heat and in the open sand area that I drank three bottles of water throughout my hike. Tip: Bring lots of water if you are going to hike through the area, or you'll be dehydrated.

I've never stayed at Sandbanks overnight so I can't comment on the cleanliness of the campgrounds bathrooms, although from my brief use of the washrooms outside the cafe at the beach, I do remember it being a bit dirty.

7 Thank Rachel L