“Unforgettable holiday”

Wildcoast Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing quality guided kayak tours from Quadra Island, BC. Join our comfortable Orca Base Camp tour in Johnstone Strait, next to Robson Bight Michael Biggs Ecological Reserve. Kayak in waters where Killer Whales play! Spacious Safari tents & cots, close enough to hear the blows of the Orca! Or experience the un-ending channels and wilderness of Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, or the Coastal Inlets on an expedition! Rentals and day tours also available daily at our location
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I went on the 7 day luxury Orca Camp with WildCoast and can say, without a doubt, that it was the best holiday I have ever had.
In a world where customer experience so often comes second to profit making, WildCoast takes a refreshing approach to their clients. From the moment we booked Val and Damon went out of their way to answer our questions and ensure our experience was to be enjoyable. This continued at Orca Camp with our fantastic guides; Clay, Calvin and Julie. They have an in-depth knowledge of the wildlife you encounter, and ensure the guests' comfort is prioritised at every point.
My partner and I had never kayaked before, and were with a group where several members had kayaked extensively, which didn't matter at all. The kayaking is a sedate way to see the incredible coastline and scenery, and allows guests to get close to the rocks to see the wildlife.
It is almost too difficult to explain how it feels to see orca in their natural environment: we were lucky enough to see different pods at least twice a day. Our best sitings were from the beach at camp, where the kelp line attracts the orcas close to the shore in pursuit of the salmon. We saw several breeches as the pods left the rubbing beaches just a few hundred metres from the camp. While we were in the kayaks we were also surprised by a humpback whale surfacing only several metres away from us. We also saw bald headed eagles, dolphins and sea-lions.
The food is all provided by Gowlland Harbour Resort, which was the perfect place to start and finish our trip from. At orca camp there is a hot shower on the beach, and a sauna, though sadly we couldn't benefit from this as there is a fire ban in BC due to the arid conditions. We were lucky with the weather (sunny and warm every day) but if it was chilly the main dining tent warms up very well with the wood stove: this was also an ideal place for drying damp clothes or towels.
The beds are raised from the ground and very comfortable: clean sleeping bags are provided for each guest and come with a liner for those that may feel the cold. The loo facilities are also first class - probably the most scenic loo you'll ever use.
I really cannot recommend WildCoast and Orca Camp enough: my only criticism - how am I ever going to beat this holiday?

1  Thank PMBennett_12
"great adventure"
in 5 reviews
"wild coast"

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Our trip with Wildcoast was a blast. My brother, his sons and my son enjoyed the views, the paddling and the food was excellent. Damon and Val are very knowledgable and easy to work with. if you get the chance, don't miss the opportunity to spend time with Wildcoast

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Can we give 6 stars? I will echo the reviews written here. Orca Camp is everything they say it is - quiet, remote, stunningly beautiful, peaceful, restful, fun, exciting. What sets it apart from the other outfitters is the staff at Wildcoast. From Val and Damon back on Quadra Island to the tireless guides who never seem to stop coming up with yet another way to please and amaze their guests. Put this trip at the top of your bucket list, then sit back and let Wildcoast do their thing. You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Brian S
Hydrovalouria, Owner at Wildcoast Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2015

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad you were a part of this incredible season. While our job is to make sure we provide an awesome outdoor adventure, the icing on the cake is getting to meet wonderful people like yourself. We certainly have an excellent team of guides that bring their all to each and every trip. Thank you for sharing your experience with Wildcoast with other travelers, and we hope we get the chance to host you again!

Adventure on,
Valerie, Damon and the entire Wildcoast team.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

I just returned from Orca Camp with Wildcoast Adventures. It was an incredible experience. The location is remote - about two hours by boat from Campbell River - a comfortable tented oasis tucked between the towering evergreens. No tv, no wifi - just the sounds of the stream behind the camp, of pine needles dropping onto your tent and the sound of fellow campers excitedly yelling "ORCA" when the killer whales appear. The tents are large, on platforms and comfortable - even on the coldest night, the freshly laundered sleeping bags were cozy and warm. The kayaking was fabulous and well paced, with picnic lunches and even a hike to a lovely waterfall included on one excursion. The food was fantastic - inspired by the amazing chef at the Gowlland Harbour Resort - fresh salmon, local herbs and vegetables - even eggs benedict on our final morning for breakfast. Plus, hot coffee, tea and snack available around the clock. But best of all - the guides - Kory, Clay and Julie. Hard working, funny, encouraging, kind and clearly passionate about killer whales, the outdoors and their guest's experiences. They kept us safe, well-fed and opened our eyes to the vast beauty of the Robson Bight area.
This was a bucket list trip for me - so I feel very grateful that I found such a fantastic group of fellow travellers, that I saw whales almost every day and that I went with Wildcoast Adventures. It was beyond my expectations!!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I spent early August at the Orca Camp which is beside the Robson Bight ecological reserve. The camp is in a beautiful location and it is definitely not camping in the traditional sense. The tents were spacious with cushioned mattresses on cots and full size pillows and sleeping bags provided. I was warm and cozy. The dining tent is nice and big and has a wood burning stove. Coffee/tea and snacks are always available, meals were great and the guides were very helpful. Also, loved the outdoor heated shower :) The headliner was of course the Orcas which we saw everyday, on one day 3 times! All in all a great vacation, enjoyed the kayaking, camp amenities and the incredibly beautiful scenery and wildlife. Go, you won't regret it.