“Beautiful area, no whales Sept. 11-14”

More attraction details
Owner description: Providing quality guided kayak tours from Quadra Island, BC. Join our comfortable Orca Base Camp tour in Johnstone Strait, next to Robson Bight Michael Biggs Ecological Reserve. Kayak in waters where Killer Whales play! Spacious Safari tents & cots, close enough to hear the blows of the Orca! Or experience the un-ending channels and wilderness of Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, or the Coastal Inlets on an expedition! Rentals and day tours also available daily at our location
Reviewed September 17, 2018

First off I want to compliment the guides. They were amazing! They have a huge workload and they do it with a smile and a great attitude. The food was fantastic and the camp itself was pretty impressive.Hot water shower, hot tub , sauna WOW! We were fortunate to have a wonderful group of people on our trip and had a lot of laughs. The kayaking was fun and the water was really clear so we saw a lot of starfish. BUT I was coming for the Orcas. I have been looking forward to this trip for 2 years. I feel that the website is a little misleading. I understood that the Orcas are “residents” of this area and are around most of the time. I fully realize this is not Seaworld and the whales follow the food. But it was very frustrating that boat captains and other outfitters on the radio (that the guides carry) said they were just north of us the entire time. I have seen Orcas in the wild in Norway and this is the reason I wanted to see them again. They are so beautiful! But no whales this trip. It was very disappointing. Fortunately we did not travel that far compared to some of the people on our trip. I felt bad for them. I am not a camper but this trip looked way worth getting out of my comfort zone. And I was coming to see the Orcas so who cares what the accommodations are like. The fact that it was “Glamping” made it a lot more appealing. Anyways, I have not read any reviews of people who did not see the whales so maybe we are the only ones but I think it needs to be said. I think we will come back to the area but go further North and get a boat 

Date of experience: September 2018
Valerie G, Manager at Wildcoast Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2018

Hello Emily!

Thank you for spending your holiday with us this year, and taking the time to share it with others, from the lens of not seeing whales.

We appreciate that your rating reflects the efforts and talents of our guides, as well as the camp and it's amenities (especially coming from a "non-camper"!), as we work hard to provide an excellent platform from which to appreciate the surroundings.

We are also disappointed that you were on one of the few trips that did not see orca. They are the star of the show, and very wild! While this is frustratingly out of our control, as in this case, it does make the frequency of which we see them that much more fantastic and remarkable. Contrary to their mis-leading name, Resident Orca simply identifies them as fish-eating, and differentiates them from the mammal-eating Transient orca that we see in our region.

With Orca Camp located on the South Eastern border of the ecological reserve, not only are we in the best place possible to see orca in the wild- in the kayaks as well as right from our shore - but our distance from "town" also provides a less trafficked, private experience.

Of course we would LOVE to have you back to try again, but we understand if a powerboat better suits your style of travel/wildlife viewing, and hope that you have many more orca sightings in your future! It was a pleasure to meet and host you.

All reviews
"great adventure"
"wild coast"
"first night"

Reviewed September 17, 2018

Just us, the water, and the wildlife! That is how I describe my experience with Wildcoast adventures. The Orcas came to play for us, as did dolphins, sea lions, bald eagles, and a humpback off in the distance. On the last day I finally got to shout 'ORRRRCAAA' which led to a total of 10 out in the strait, and they even used the rubbing beaches. On the cross we spotted a grizzly on west cracroft, and had a nice 7 mile paddle.

We had a great group and our guides Chris, Shea, and John taught us a lot about the Orcas and other wildlife. Oh, and the food was amazing! Grilled salmon, bbq chicken, cheesecake, pancakes, eggs benedict...it was like top chef british columbia! Also the hot shower was great, and I did the sauna on the last night, diving into the fresh water creek after each round which felt amazing. I loved being disconnected for 4 days, it was just what I needed.

Date of experience: September 2018

Hi Matt!

Whoa - what an incredible experience - as if seeing orca wasn't exhilarating enough, being the first to spot them and call Orca for the group is for sure one for the books! Chris shared his photo with us of the grizzly you saw, which is quite a remarkable thing to have seen

Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday with us out in the wild, it is such an honour to share this incredible place with guests like yourself! Wildcoast has only a small team of guides, who work very hard representing Wildcoast so well throughout the season. Their passion and fascination with the area and wildlife is contagious!

We hope we get the opportunity to host you again!

Reviewed September 13, 2018

What a trip it was amazing in every aspect. The guides were unbelievable in everything they did from the kayaking, to cooking, cleaning, to preparing the hot tub and sauna. Great conversations, shared experiences, laughter and genuine interest in each guest and their experiences. And then there was the Wild Life! close encounters of the third kind - ha ha! Orcas next to our kayaks, sea lions snorting at us, eagles soaring above us and salmon leaping out of the water in front of the beach all in one day. Sunrise paddles with the mountains, the mist and the clouds of Johnstone strait that defy words. You simply have to go and experience it for yourself.

Date of experience: August 2018
Valerie G, Manager at Wildcoast Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2018

Thanks for your awesome review! We sure do have a great team of guides that work hard to make sure your experience is amazing, and who love seeing all the wildlife and scenery as much as you do.

We're thrilled to hear you had an extraordinary experience with orca, and have to agree - it's hard to sum up the magic of Wildcoast's Orca Camp!

Thank you again for joining us this season!

Reviewed September 3, 2018

Just returned from a 4 day stay at Orca camp. Our guides Cole, Se, and John made it a memorable experience. Was one of the best family trips we have done. Saw lots of orcas, humpback whales, sea stars, sea lions, etc. The glamping made camping easy. Our children (11 and 13) had a great trip with lots to hold their interest both on the water and at camp. Was also great to unplug for a few days. We really enjoyed the hot tub, sauna and gourmet food. Can’t wait to go back and would highly recommend. Perfect for our beginner kayak skill level, but could be made more difficult if you had higher level skills. Thanks to Cole,Se and John for a great trip and to Val and Damian for answering all our questions pre trip.

Hi Jim!

Thank you for the lovely review! We are so pleased to be in the top ranking of your family's adventures - that means a lot to us.

Cole, Se, and Jon are a great team that bring their genuine passion, interests and a skills to each trip - we're glad they made it so memorable for your family! It was our pleasure to host you.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 30, 2018

I just got back from an amazing trip to Orca Camp with Wildcoast Adventures. I had some travel issues and they were very helpful, picking me up late from the ferry terminal. The camp itself was pretty cool. It had a hot tub, hot water shower and sauna (glamping at it's best). Our guides, Chris, Bender and John were great. Fun guys to be around, good cooks and guides. We saw humpbacks, orcas, dolphins, a sea lion and a bear. Thanks for a great adventure!

Hi!

It was great hosting you at Orca Camp! Thank you for your kind words.

It was no problem picking you up late from the ferry, it was our pleasure. Orca Camp is a pretty special place to us, and we strive to make it comfortable without removing the wild! Made only better by the fantastic team of guides - that is a great combination you had on your trip!

We are glad to hear you saw such a beautiful array of wildlife, and we hope we get the opportunity to host you again!