“Quaint little cafe with upscale-restaurant food!”
Review of The Cafe At Hope Bay - CLOSED

The Cafe At Hope Bay
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Canadian, Cafe, Fusion
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Thank you everyone for 5 fantastic years! In fall of 2016 we sold the restaurant so we can focus our efforts on our food truck The Cafe At Large. We can be found during the summer season at Sea Star Estates Winery here on Pender Island. It has been such a privilege getting to know our regulars and meeting new people everyday. We look forward to hosting you at the winery shortly. We wish the new owners Phil and Sabrina the best of luck at our old location.
Red Deer, Alberta
“Quaint little cafe with upscale-restaurant food!”
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Our meal was like being in a 5 star restaurant - excellent quality and taste! We would definitely eat here again!

• Visited July 2011

Oliver, Canada
“Not Bad”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The view is great, we didn't sit at the one table outside due to not serving alcohol but after seeing the wine list, it didn't matter. I just don't get the $75 sticker price for a $24 bottle!!
The food was pretty good, the mussels slightly overcooked but the chipotle sauce was great. The halibut and chips were really god as well, liked that it came with warmed spinach salad.
I would go back, I will just have local beer.

Wetaskiwin, Canada
“Waterside Bistro with great service”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Friendly waiter, friendly cook (an open kitchen), just the kind of place to hang out with friends over a casual dinner. The food was good, the portions generous and there was no rush to get us out so we lingered over the wine. It is right on the water in a heritage building. Most of the shop space was vacant due to slow business? or renovations? whatever the reason, we hope that it is good news for this great spot on the water, the place is great and deserves to be bustling.

• Visited July 2011
tx
“Great View, Great Food...”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We went to dinner at the Hope Bay Cafe while visiting with friends from the island. What a wonderfully relaxing ambience and the view was marvelous. We were even entertained by a seal in the harbor. And the food was excellent. I have to say that we all ordered the same thing, fish and chips, and they did not disappoint. They were the best I'd ever had. The fish (halibut) was fresh and not the least bit greasy. They chips were so good that I'm ashamed to say that I didn't leave one on my plate. I would highly recommend this cafe to anyone visiting Pender Island.

• Visited August 2011
Calgary, Canada
“Getting better all the time!”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We are regular visitors to Pender Island and have been to Hope Bay Cafe many times. The meal we enjoyed last night was the best yet! My son and I both had the halibut fish and chips. I had mine pan seared which was perfectly cooked, tender without being mushy. The seasonings were delicious. I skipped the chips and had a double serving of the spinach salad that came with the meal. This is no ordinary spinach salad which is typically dripping in a gloppy mayo dressing. I am a big spinach fan and the vegetable is the star in this salad. Leaves of baby spinach were left whole with a light and sweet dressing. I ate mine and my son's too. Our son had his fish deep fried in beer batter with the chips. He said they were delicious. I sneaked a couple of fries from his plate and I can vouch for those. My husband had the stuffed chicken leg which he raved about. I would love it if they would sell more wine by the glass. A bottle is too much for us to drink but I would have liked to try a glass of Pender Island's Morning Bay wine. As mentioned by someone else, the wait staff are a bit unusual and I have noticed this during a few visits. I think they need to remember that customers are there to visit with the people they came with, not with the staff! My husband took the time to compliment the chef on the chicken dish and the chef replied that he knew it was good, rather than accepting the compliment with a "You're welcome!"

• Visited August 2011