“Damon the Whale Whisperer”

Wildcoast Adventures - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Quadra Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing quality guided kayak tours from Quadra Island, BC. Join our comfortable Orca Base Camp tour in Johnstone Strait, next to Robson Bight Michael Biggs Ecological Reserve. Kayak in waters where Killer Whales play! Spacious Safari tents & cots, close enough to hear the blows of the Orca! Or experience the un-ending channels and wilderness of Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, or the Coastal Inlets on an expedition! Rentals and day tours also available daily at our location
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and I plus adult daughter and her boyfriend had an amazing kayak trip in the Discover Islands out of Quadra Island. Damon (who happens to be co-owner) and guide Julie did a great job with our very diverse group of ages, experience levels and nationality. It's not an easy task to do something like that and they kept us happy and well fed. They handled the issues we had with planned campsites being occupied, making our longer than planned days pleasant. Of course one of our detours lead to a lifetime highlight of acrobatic humpback whales, but it was during the olympics. It was a great experience I highly recommend Wildcoast.

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

Wildcoast Adventures delivers a true wilderness experience while spoiling you with comfy accommodations, gormet food, expert guides, and a location loaded with the best the world has to offer in sea life. Our daily expeditions awarded us with sightings of whales, dolphins, sea lions, porpoise, salmon, star fish, sea urchins....so much fun. Thank you Wildcoast. We will be back.

1  Thank Monica B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

I went on a kayaking expedition and I have to say it was the best time of my life. We kayak to different islands on either double or single kayaks. I do have to say the kayaking can be tiring (since I'm only 12 years old), but it's just great to see the nature as you're doing it. The food is 5 stars (better than restaraunts!) They have coffee, apple juice, water, and orange juice for drinks and amazing food that you see in a restaurant! The people we were with were very friendly, and we were all one big group! The staff was really fun and they cared about every single person on the trip (they are great cooks as well). We camped at different islands every night, and I do have to say BRING MOSQUITO REPPELENT, ITCHING CREAM, AND LOTS OF SYNTHETIC CLOTHES!!!! I have a little area in my tent open one night whole we were at a very mosquito populated island and I got at least 20 mosquito bites! Don't make my mistake!! Close your tent!!! Now let's talk about wildlife.... I saw so many seals, sea lions, sea stars, anenomes, jellyfish (ones that don't stings), dolphins, and.... a humback whale!! It was amazing.... a mom whale jumped in front of our kayak and it was an amazing experience. The nature is awesone. PLEASE GO HERE!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 August 2016

My husband bought me this trip for a birthday present and we loved this adventure (with no kids)! The 5 day sea kayaking experience was great for experienced and inexperienced paddlers. Be prepared for amazing food cooked by your fantastic guides, bring your camera for the beautiful scenery, and some sturdy shoes for exploring the islands and campsites when you stop along the shoreline.

True to the advertising - this is an "expedition", the group brings the food (packed and prepped by the company) in their kayaks along with the gear provided, everyone works as a team loading and unloading the kayaks. You set up your own tents and spend nights sitting around camp fires enjoying the outdoors. No showers, cell phones or computers - great way to unwind and get your kids unplugged!

The only downside was the bugs - so bring some mosquito repellent!

The team at Wildcoast delivered on an amazing trip - we will be back next year with the kids!
Darcy and Rob

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Just got home from joining Wildcoast Adventures on their Discovery Islands 5 day kayak excursion and can't stop thinking about how wonderful the time was. My first experience with Wildcoast was when i called them the weekend before this excursion started to book it. Val answered all my question during both of my calls, and I felt confident booking a trip that was out of the ordinary (annual driving road trip) for my girls and myself. The first night at Gowlland Harbour Oceanfront Resort (which was included in our package) was above my expectations, with the girls getting a room to share, and I had my own room next door. The included breakfast the next morning at the resort was delicious.

Our guides Josh and Nolan were wonderful, and extremely patient with my teens as well as everyone else on the trip. My family comes with little Kayaking experience, just one afternoon at a local lake, and the guides response to the inexperience was perfect - from Josh continuously answering my youngest daughters questions as to "how deep is it now", to Nolan providing her with math equations to ease her anxiety when we hit a slightly rough/windy patch, to being able to have my oldest switch from the single kayak to a tandem after her arms were done at the end of the first days paddle.

The campsites offered a little of everything from beachfront to a little seclusion farther back, and were well chosen. The food is amazing! I have never eaten so well on an adventure with my girls, and every meal was delicious! Our only downside was that there were no whales to be seen, but the number of seals that came out to play near us and that tailed us on an afternoon paddle made up for it.

Thank you to Val, Damon, Josh and Nolan for making this trip so wonderful for us! Hoping to get a chance in the future to head this way again!

Jackie and the girls