“5 day Wildcaoast Orca camp”

Wildcoast Adventures - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 8 Tours in Quadra Island
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing quality guided kayak tours from Quadra Island, BC. Join our comfortable Orca Base Camp tour in Johnstone Strait, next to Robson Bight Michael Biggs Ecological Reserve. Kayak in waters where Killer Whales play! Spacious Safari tents & cots, close enough to hear the blows of the Orca! Or experience the un-ending channels and wilderness of Desolation Sound, the Discovery Islands, or the Coastal Inlets on an expedition! Rentals and day tours also available daily at our location
Reviewed 4 September 2016

We booked Wildcaoast Orca camp on the basis of the Wildcaoast website and TripAdvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. All you read about the wildlife, scenery, kayaking and camp are true.

Quite simply the best part of the holiday. Meeting new friends, being looked after by experienced guides who provided great food and company and being so lucky to see Orca every day as well as a black bear and cubs on a beach (on the opposite side of the strait) made this a trip we will never forget.

The camp is extremely comfortable and the food is excellent, but remember to bring your head torch!

We would thoroughly recommend this.

Reviewed 3 September 2016

My boyfriend and I went on this trip having had little kayaking experience (him a little more than I) The first few days were better weather, the last few were quite stormy but every bit of the trip was fantastic.

The guides work incredibly hard to make sure you are safe, get out kayaking even when the conditions might not be perfect, to make amazing meals for us with nice presentation, are very knowledgeable of the area and orcas especially. You can tell they love nature too.

It was also kind of a cool experience to be "stuck" in one place with a group of strangers. We had a lovely eclectic group and so even when the weather wasn't conducive to going out in the kayaks, we were able to hang in the gathering tent and chat and get to know each other.

A few things I want to mention that may be helpful:

-I forgot a tuque/beanie hat. I needed it when I slept as my head got cold. It gets chilly at nights.
- I would have brought a better raincoat.
- bug spray. I got tiny bites from mosquitos I think. I'd wear bug spray around my ankles more.
- Buy water shoes! Shoes that can be worn wet. And clothes that are not cotton for when you go in the water. You will feel like a soggy mess if you wear cotton and get splashed.

A few more thoughts about the experience:

- Even though this is "Glamping" and you are in a nice tent with beds, it's still camping. You will be using a drop toilet or a nature A frame toilet that's open to weather, my preference as it doesn't smell (this isn't that bad at all but just be aware of it.)
- It is a little colder than Quadra Island or Vancouver as it's more north. When you are in your personal tent you will feel the cold unless you in your sleeping bag or thoroughly wrapped up. The tent protects you from the rain and wind but doesn't change the temperature. The main tent is warmed by stove and it's always warm in there.
- The boat ride, though fun and breathtakingly beautiful got quite bumpy. So brace yourself for that.
- You will get wet. ;) The guides will make sure that you are safe but this is still nature and water will splash on you. (I know this sounds ridiculous to say but I'm saying this for anyone who may not be familiar with kayaking.)
- There is very very limited cell phone service. There is a tiny area that gets it and I didn't even know about it till the second day. Actually it was awesome to unplug and be unreachable but know this.
- The water is from a glacier above the camp and it's absolutely delicious.
- The outside shower, which is hot and comforting really was a must to warm up my bones after standing out on the beach watching for whales.
- They have great books in the main tent to read while you relax and also group games available! We played some fun ones.
- The sauna that they heated up towards the end of the trip was really fun. Other than the fact that as soon as we went in the Orcas came swimming by! So we were going in and out of the tent.

Lastly - I just want to mention how awe-inspiring it was to see Orcas on the 2 out of the 4 days and to hear them one of the nights even when we couldn't see them. The place where the camp is set up is truly unique and sleeping in the dark, with the wind, waves and towards the end rain was so good for the soul. I also want to say that after kayaking around this wild land, we came back to LA and immediately bought kayaks. It was confidence building to be out there and paddle even when the water was a little rough. The guides really stayed alert and were there to keep us safe. They really worked hard and were kind at the same time.

I think Wildcoast is doing something great for the whale watching experience and still respecting the orcas and nature. If you want a taste of wild nature, go on this trip. :D

3  Thank Sayra M
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Outstanding guides comfortable tents great location on the johnstone straits and great food. The recipes are from the chef at Gowland harbor resort and it shows. With people from all over world on their trips it is always interesting to be in camp. wish we could do a hot dog over open fire night but hey that's just me

Reviewed 31 August 2016

6 day Discovery Island Expedition, which felt like 'glamping' because the food was so amazing & our guides Josh & Thom did everything for us! After a windy start changed our itinerary, the weather was spectacular. We enjoyed hikes to lakes on some of the islands to break up the kayaking & we saw heaps of seals & some porpoises, as well as sea eagles & various other birds. The list of things to bring was spot-on & the whole trip was extremely well organised. Definitely recommend this to anyone with an interest in trying out a sea kayaking expedition, although you need to have some fitness at baseline.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

We were lucky enough to be part of the 5-day Discovery Islands kayaking expedition that got humpback whales breach really close to us (see the video on their facebook page). This was truly a once in a lifetime experience.
I would have rated the expedition 5 stars even without the whale encounter. It was the best way to enjoy nature in an active way in British Columbia.
Our tour guides (Damon and Julie) were extremely professional, attentive and cooked us some awesome gourmet food (a different item every day including pancakes and eggs Benedict for breakfast, salmon and kabobs for dinner).
They provided us with expert description of the wildlife as well as tips for optimal kayaking.
We started the trip by loading all 10 kayaks. I was amazed at the amount of stuff they can carry. You are given a small and a large (30L) dry bag to fit the belonging you take with you for the entire trip. Next you load the tent, sleeping mat and bag as well as the food, water and supplies needed for 5 days.
You really leave civilization behind. No cell signal or charging station :-).
Each day follows a similar pattern: wake up, eat freshly prepared breakfast, pack up, kayak for 2-3 hours, stop for lunch, kayak for another 2-3 hours, unload kayaks and pitch your tent. Eat a gourmet dinner and enjoy a campfire, go to bed.
I brought some books but ended up having no time to read at all. The group was fun to chat with. We also enjoyed seeing shooting stars from the Perseids.
Each day we got to another location to stop for the night, basically circling Read Island. We stopped on Quadra, Read, Rendezvous, Cortes and Breton Islands.
We saw tons of wildlife up close including, sea stars, anemones, nudibranches, crabs, jellyfish, a spotted ratfish, otters, seals, a sea lion, eagles, white-sided dolphins and humpback whales!
The best way to pack is to bring synthetic clothes that can dry fast for the kayaking part and some cotton to be comfy at the camp.
Recommendation: bring your own alcohol to enjoy for dinner and around the campfire.