“BED BUGS”
Review of Wescana Inn

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in The Pas
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Me, my husband and my three sisters were in town for AMC elections and my father had booked us a room here.... had no problems with the hotel at all until the next morning after we checked out... we all began to notice red marks all over our bodies ...my sisters and I had over a dozen or more red dots on our body and they were far more irritable then mosquito bites....neither of us had any problems with our skin that way before..I went to clinic after our long drive home and the doc said they were consistent with that of bed bug bites..seeing as how all of us had itchy bite marks and we all slept in the same room...some of the bite marks were also in a row..which is a signature bed bug bite....We are absolutely disgusted.... I called the wescana inn as soon as we figured what could be the problem and they denied any bed bug infestation ( of course they will) and the guy at the front desk had even suggested that maybe we brought bed bugs from our home...which is not the case at all...and he told me to leave a msg for general manager.... I did leave a msg but havent dealt with the matter further...not much they can do for me....

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank BPaige
Joey B, General Manager at Wescana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to book your rooms with the Wescana Inn. It is truly unfortunate that your stay with us was not a pleasant one.

Unfortunately the biggest challenge facing the hotel industry today is the misinformation, misdiagnosis and general fear surrounding bed bugs. Traveling consumers’ should be informed of what to look for and how to travel safely. Each of our collective contributions serves to benefit both consumers and hoteliers alike.

Please be assured that I did receive your voice message, but unfortunately due to the poor sound quality I was unable to gather your information in order to provide you with a response. I would like to reassure you that your concern was followed up on.

As with any such complaint, the room is taken out of service and inspected by our trained housekeeping staff. All rooms that acquire a complaint of this nature are also inspected by an accredited pest control company. Fortunately there was no evidence of this pest found. However, regardless if nothing is found it is still the Wescana Inn policy to have the room professionally serviced for this pest, in the event something was missed. It is also policy to inspect and professionally service the rooms adjoining, above and below the room in question.

At the Wescana Inn, we aggressively inspect all of our rooms; proactively dealing with risks, and diligently addressing any complaint, weather substantiated or not. In today’s world, there is no hotel that can say they have not had an encounter with this pest, or are not at risk of having another one. What every hotel must be able to demonstrate is that they are proactive in their efforts to prevent encounters; and when an encounter does occur, that they are taking the necessary aggressive steps to ensure that the problem is quickly and properly identified, managed and serviced by a professional agency, before the problem becomes a larger concern.

I am hoping that this response finds you well, and that you will take a moment of your time to contact me. I may be reached by phone at 204-623-5446, toll free at 1-800-665-9468, or by cell at 204-623-5446.

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback, although the content of your comments were unfortunate, we do appreciate your open and honest feedback, as we do with all of our customers.

Respectfully,

Joey Belanger

Reviewed 27 June 2011

I can honestly say this is one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. Camping would have been better. While the room was clean...the walls are paper thin (the person in the next room coughed and woke me up) . You can hear everything. Also, people kept trying to come in through the pass doors between the rooms. The halls smell of smoke and the room smelled heavily of cologne...even though I don't wear any. The rooms do not come with hair dryers or irons. When I asked at the front desk for these items, I was told "We don't supply them." The desk staff were uninterested , slow to do checkin-s / outs and borderline rude. Ate at the diningroom once, but had to wait more than 10 minutes to be acknowledged and seated...and that was by the chief who just happened to have walked into the diningroom. No other staff were around. Food was decent for what you paid. No internet in the rooms...only one computer in the lobby by the front desk. When the locals I was working with found out where I was staying....They said "check out of there." Trust me...I would have if another hotel had rooms available.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank MBtraveller18
Joey B, General Manager at Wescana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Dear valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments and valued feedback. We certainly wish your stay with us had been a better one. I would like to assure you that we are in the process of addressing your concerns. In the past 2 years The Wescana Inn has completely renovated and updated our rooms, the lobby, dining room and lounge. Although the building is concrete and steel we have increased sound proofing on all exterior and adjoining guest room walls.

Smokers do still account for a large number of guests within the Northern communities, and as a result we do see a need to offer a limited number of smoking rooms. We apologize however for the smell of smoke in the hallways and can assure you that based on your comments we have taken steps to address this concern.

We have also increased the number of hair dryers and irons available at front desk in order to prevent such an experience from occurring again. We are pricing out the install of hair dryers in all rooms as a future capital project. Further, we have budgeted for an upgrade to our wireless network in conjunction with MTS’s upgrade to fibre optics within The Pas.

Please be assured that we are also aware of your service concerns in the Dining Room and are actively addressing them with our new Dining Room Manager, while providing additional staff training.

The Wescana Inn has played a key role within the community of The Pas for over 35 years. We continue to invest in our product and service in an ongoing effort to better serve our valued guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any questions or concerns. I may be reached at 204-623-5446, 1-800-665-9468, or on mobile at 204-620-5194.

Respectfully,
Joey Belanger

Reviewed 3 March 2011

the wescanainn is the best to go drinking or staying in the rooms they no how to keep the party going they evan have a dinging room for your fun they have 76 rooms and 106 dinging room the phone number is 1800-665-9468 or 623-5446 for fax 623-3383

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2010

If you are a smoker and finding it hard to find a place to smoke, or you want to meet true northern manitobans, stay here. Staff look tired and overwhelmed. Many of the rooms are being renovated and there is a definite effort to improve the inn...but it's rough around the edges. The hotel is too expensive for the looks and services received especially if you find having your clothes stink of tobacco not a bonus.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank KarenF21
Reviewed 13 May 2010

the wescana inn dinning room is nice and clean and i all ways see tyler working hard and makeing costomers welcome but i have not seen him for a while but he is a good worker and a nother thing i like about tyler he all ways washws the chairs and the tree to and makes the dinning room clean .....

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank tyl78
Reviewed 7 May 2010

i like the dinng ing room because tylerolson ser ved me and my kids and it was so fast and he said hi and he is so nice to all of the costomers tanx tylerolson

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Been to Wescana Inn? Share your experiences!