“Good layover hotel with dining options, efficient shuttle and large rooms”

Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Friendly staff; love the pub- had generous servings. Good fishnchips! Had room 850-
it was Decent sized with large bathroom, balcony and comfy beds. i Like the two twins pushed together, makes for a good nite sleep. Our bathroom had a large tub and a separate shower. Good wifi! Shuttle bus runs efficiently every 40 mins. This is a large facility- be prepared for a trek to your room, or ask for a closer one if needed.
Only negative was the ac did not cool the room down to our liking.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet. Hotel is large- most rooms require a rather long walk
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,620)

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Booked a night here on a layover. This hotel is a 15 min drive from the airport, but has absolutely nothing around it! So as long as you have no intentions of leaving, can be ok. There is a KFC and a casino and that's it! Stuck eating at their crappy, overpriced restaurant or paying a hefty cab fare to get into Amsterdam or spending an hour minimum with public transportation. When we drove up to the hotel, my friends and I thought we were at the wrong place. Outside is a dated, mildew covered dump. I forgot to take a picture during the daylight hours unfortunately. Got inside and sure enough, sadly, we were at the right hotel. Decor was off the wall. Plastic cows and animals sitting on top of a random boxed in room that you get to stare at every time you ride in their glass elevator, just for an example. The hotel is going through a renovation apparently. The renovated areas are interesting to say the least. It's new, but have some random decor choices. Like carpet in the gym that is in the pattern of wood flooring. Who puts carpet in a gym?! People sweat on that! Gross. The walls are also of a wood flooring pattern. Furniture oddly placed. It's like they bought up random, left over crap no one else wanted to buy and used it to renovate the place. The non renovated part of the hotel is pretty dated. Flickering light in the hall. Dark hallways with brick walls. Room was incredibly dated as well and had one outlet in the room. Little tricky when there were 3 of us to share a triple room... every picture we saw on the website showed these beautiful, bright rooms. Again, we wondered if we had screwed up the reservation. But turns out they just like to show the renovated parts of the hotel off and not make it clear when making the reservation what you are getting. I inquired at the front desk, partly to see if there was indeed a different part of the hotel and we were at the right place. We still were in disbelief that this was the same place we made a reservation at since it looked NOTHING like the photos. I was very rudely informed that next time I need to pay more and get a "deluxe" room if I wanted a nicer room. Then don't false advertise! And when booking the room, put the correct corresponding picture of an accurate representation of the room you are booking in the little picture box on the booking page rather than a stock photo of a completely different style and type of room! Restaurant was overpriced with bad food and bad service. I would tell anyone to book at one of the many other options that are available in the same price point. Only good thing I can say is that it was very clean on the inside.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Julie F
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times, but felt let down a little.

Reception - fast, efficient, friendly and helpful
Room - excellent
Restaurant - excellent
Tempo - busy
Transport - regular complimentary bus to and from the airport about 1/2 hour

There had been a very large conference that day, not sure if the resulting clean up was responsible, but about 4:30 in the morning someone was loading/unloading truck, and not quietly.

My sleep is important to me, you failed that night, - Wednesday after the Phillips conference.

That is why I gave you three stars, your worth five BUT customers must come first, and I didn't

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

The hotel has a complimentary airport shuttle (5am - 23:40) available every 20 minutes from outside the terminal building (A9-A13). In case yo outside he schedule, the front desk can arrange it for you @ 7.50€ per way ( shared)

In case you wish to travel to Amsterdam Central station you can always take the shuttle to and fro and commute is easy( buy a day pass ) and DO NOT forget to punch in / out after every journey to avoid fines ( seen some in trouble ).

The buffet breakfast (15€) is not worth it if not included in your room rate.

For your meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner ) across the street is a mall with great restaurants and fast food chains - KFC / Burger King

The Housekeeping staff was horrible, every time the sheets were changed it would either come with stains or bunch of human hair on it ( please have your sheets checked )

Front desk staff are super busy with huge groups check in / out of the hotel everyday so be ready to line up if you have questions.

There are computers to use and print in the business center with vending machines ( snacks, soft drinks and daily essentials)

Great pool, steam and sauna services available for in inhouse guests.

The room walls are really sleak so be ready to be woken up with doors slamming an loud talks in the corridors during the night.

Fazia, Jord and the lady who checked me in were friendly and helpful the rest of the team you will see the true Dutch hospitality run up to the T !!!

The room views are beautiful with balconys to enjoy the sunshine tough expect heavy showers.

Did not try the inhouse restaurants- so would not comment! But looked always busy...

I would definitely return to this perfectly located and friendly hotel on my next visit to Amsterdam.

Thank you to the Van Der Valk Hotel team for making my stay a memorable one, till next time.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

I booked a hotel room for a relative and his wife but the payment wasn't taken until the day they checked in. That day I got a message on my phone that Van der Valk hotel had tried to deduct a payment for the booking but my credit card was maxed out.

I quickly paid the blance online on my phone and called them. I explained that I had cleared the balance and asked that they try my credit card again. They did. The payment went through fine and I recieved confirmation the funds had been debited.

The day the happy couple arrived, the hotel told them their room wasn't paid. (Imagine their embarassment!). Later I checked my phone to see:

1. A number of missed call.
2. A message from my relative saying: problem solved.
3. Another identical charge from the hotel (i.e. they took the payment twice).

We called the hotel repeatedly and they told us they had reversed the second payment.
I explained to them I didn't receive a refund and they told me that it was up to me to chase up my credit card company.

Payments reversed are received virtually instantaneously. It has been weeks since then and still no refund received...

Your credit card details are clearly not safe at this hotel!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sammy L
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

Reception is as busy as schipol airport but the rooms are very comfortable and quiet. Breakfast was also busy, ok choice for vegetarians but NOT vegan - the hotel could do more here especially as it's such a hub for international travellers.
Opposite direction of Amsterdam city when coming from the airport so not my first choice if you're here to see the city. If it's for flight changes or connections then it's perfect as there is also a free shuttle bus or lots of parking. Great business facilities and very friendly staff.
Rooms, staff, access to airport
Ironing room, city access, limited vegan

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2017

I stayed here for one night before traveling to Ruurlo for business.
The room was very good the shuttle was on time but crowded both ways. I dined in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast was the food and service was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
4.3 km away
7 km away
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
10.3 km away
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport

Been to Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol? Share your experiences!