“Great value for money but disappointing service?”
Review of Zios - CLOSED

Zios
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is now called La Dolce Vita, not Zio's. Although the new owners took over from their dad and renamed it.

In my view the food is better than before. We went there as a family (7 adults) on a Sunday. We all took the salad buffet which has a smaller selection than before but it was good. I would prefer more choice though.

For the main course, some took the beef, I took the roast lamb. That was simply delicious. We have been there quite a few times before and I dreaded having the main course as the portions were so small and the meat transparent and so overcooked. But this time it was tasty, cooked well and decent portions, cut thick with a knife not with a cutting machine.

For dessert we had tiramisu. That was disappointing. The portion was so small but tasty. We all complained.

The service needs serious improvement. We just had to help ourselves to the buffet. Nobody asked what we wanted so we all got up and went to the salad/starters bar. Eventually we were asked, as we were having our self service starters, what we wanted as a main course. The main course was served quickly.

We all ordered coffee, but the young waiter forgot mine.

This is a good value for money restaurant. There were two waiters that day, the service was very different from the more mature waiter, who is experienced and considerate and the young one with an attitude (chef's son)

I still recommend it. I hope the young waiter learns or does something else.

Reviewed April 6, 2017

We waited for some time at the door to be acknowledged and shown to a table, even though the restaurant was fairly empty. We waited 10 minutes to be given a menu. We waited another 10 minutes for a drinks order to be taken, and longer again for the food order to be taken. Difficult to attract attention, at one stage the waitress ignored us, we called after her and she still ignored us. We asked her for some cold milk for a tea, and she did not seem to understand and brought sugar. We had to try to attract the attention of a different waiter. The food however was good, my liver with onions was excellent.

Reviewed April 4, 2017

My family of 6 adults visited last Friday evening. The service was very good with just the right amount of time between courses. The waiters were friendly but not overbearing and all the food was delicious and reasonably priced.
We all said we hoped to visit again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2017 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, and the food & service was very good. I will be coming here again!

Reviewed March 15, 2017

We arrived about 8 on Wednesday evening - not busy - and were shown straight away to a table but then after about 15 minutes realised that nobody had given us a menu or asked us for our drinks. We had to try and catch the waiter's eye and he rather reluctantly shoved the menu on the table. I have no complaint with the food and wine, although the pinot could have been more chilled, and the plates were cleared away by another waiter quite efficiently. However, nobody offered us the dessert menu or suggested a coffee so after about 20 minutes we managed to get the bill. I used to enjoy the old Zio's with the friendly service but now nobody even wished us goodnight as we left. We won't be back.