“A very enjoyable meal”

Price range: US$11 - US$18
Cuisines: European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located on the River Thames, The Swan is a delightful riverside pub dating back to 1770 when it first opened.The Swan has always been a busy pub during the summer months. However, having just reopened after a near 3 month refurbishment, The Swan is now the place to be all year round. The transformation is incredible. The Swan today offers an unmatchable dining experience without losing its pub theme. With amazing views amongst a beautiful garden, stunning interior and delicious food made from the freshest ingredients (not forgetting it's unique Burger Shack) The Swan really is somewhere worth visiting.
Reviewed September 3, 2017

My partner and I were boating on the Thames and had planned to stop at Hampton Court, but unable to find a mooring we stopped at Walton-on-Thames instead, as we had never visited the town before.

Being a Saturday night we thought we had better book at table. There are two pubs on the river, next to each other. The first was The Anglers and the other The Swan. We first tried The Anglers, which appeared to have the better reputation and a more exciting menu. Sadly the staff were incredibly rude and surly and we walked out and booked at The Swan instead for 8pm.

This is a traditional old pub with a large outside area overlooking the Thames, bar and dining room. In honesty, the dining area is open to the bar and there was a lot of ambient noise but it was 8pm on a sunny Saturday night so hardly surprising.

We were greeted promptly, welcomed and shown to a nice table. Our waiter (Steph) promptly took our drinks orders and brought the menus. Steph was great throughout the meal and was a tremendous ambassador for the restaurant - if the owner or manager reads this review, please take note and pass on our thanks for very good service.

The menu to be honest was a bit limited and not overly exciting, though there were plenty of things we were happy to order, though little new. I started with tempura quid with chilli dipping sauce; it was very good although the dipping sauce was excellent. My partner had whitebait. Again, this was good but there is little that can go wrong with frying whitebait.

For our mains I had a sirloin with tripple cooked chips, mushrooms and roasted tomatoes and peppercorn sauce. Steve had a burger topped with pulled pork. The burger was good and the chips were excellent. My steak was of good quality but quite thin and sadly overcooked (I ordered medium rare and it was closer to well done). Personally I would have preferred to pay more and had a choice of fillet or even a decent thickness of sirloin, but despite being over cooked it was good value and I enjoyed it. We had a bottle of Rioja with our main course.

Puddings were again fairly standard but done well. I had sticky toffee pudding and salted caramel ice cream and Steve had chocolate brownie cheesecake, which was excellent.

In the end I think our bill was just over £100 which we thought very good for three courses, arrival drinks and a bottle of nice Rioja. A bit more choice and a few more higher end wines to choose from would be nice, but we both had a nice evening and we would certainly return.

In conclusion, we often visit restaurants and we wonder why people have rated them so highly. In the case of The Swan I was surprised to read so many critical comments and poor marks. From our (admittedly limited) experience they deserve better.

TheSwan1831, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2017

Hello ak23566,

Thank you for leaving a review of your recent experience here with us at The Swan. it has been a pleasure reading your comments. I have personally spoken to Steph and informed her of your wonderful review.

We hope to see you and your friends again!

Reviewed August 30, 2017

Ok it was a very hot bank holiday & the place was very busy but their Burger Shack was a joke! For a start they seemed unable to cope with the high volume of customers & stopped taking orders for ages to "catch up". I ordered three burgers & one portion of chips - over priced at £42!! After waiting for 45 minutes they texted me to say the order was ready. When I went to collect it I was told "We've run out of crab burgers - do you want something else instead?" Why wait to tell me until I was collecting the food? My daughter would then have to sit & watch us eat whilst her burger was prepared (possible another 45 minutes!!) I said that I wanted a refund & we would go elsewhere! They refunded me without any problem but what should have been a nice afternoon was spoilt by a badly run burger joint! Stick to the pubs menu or maybe find a MacDonalds on your way home which will be quicker & a hell of a lot cheaper!!!

Hello kayr534,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your Bank Holiday visit with us. It is disappointing to hear that you did not have an overall enjoyable experience. We do often become very busy during these peak summer periods. However, this should not negatively affect any of our guests. I understand you had spoken to one of our Management Team on the day in hope to resolve this. If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to get in touch.

We would never want any of our guests to leave unhappy and not wishing to return. It would be great if you could give us another chance to prove that we can get it right.

Reviewed August 27, 2017

The large outdoor area makes this a perfect place for a meal on a sunny afternoon with lovely views over the River Thames. I had the main course of Salad and sardines. The sardines were well cooked but I found the salad bland. Great views though.

TheSwan1831, Manager at The Swan, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2017

Hello gjpeg,

Thank you for your comments. We also love our riverside location come rain or sunshine. We will indeed take your comments on board with regards to your dining experience.

We hope to see you again shortly!

Reviewed August 26, 2017

Had lunch here after a few months, hoping the food and prices had improved. The setting is lovely especially on a sunny day and the outside refurbishment looks very good, but we did find the service a bit indifferent, but the food was quite tasty but presentation was awful. i ordered a baguette with chips and it was just plonked on a plate no little bits of salad or chips in a little pot, it looked more like a sandwich in a cafe !! And at double the cost.. Also I ordered a large glass of dry white wine which cost £8 which I thought was exorbitant. A bit disappointing again, shame as it is a lovely looking pub and pretty environment.

Hello Patsy66,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We appreciate all feedback whether good or bad in helping us learn and improve. It is clear your dining experience with us was not as expected. If an issue ever arises we always try to deal with it at the table on the day to ensure our guests leave happy. Unfortunately this is not always possible. We will take all of your comments into consideration. If you wish to discuss anything else please feel free to contact us via swanwalton@youngs.co.uk

We hope to see you and your friends again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2017 via mobile

Visited this old haunt with a colleague from out of the area for a midweek lunch. It was quiet and we chose to sit outside in the nice garden area to enjoy the weather and wonderful view of the Thames. We both chose the chicken burger with homemade red cabbage coleslaw and triple cooked chips, which arrived promptly and was delicious. There was an extensive menu and we were spoilt for choice. The only slight dampener was the cost - £31 for 2 diet cokes and our lunch.

Hello Nicki P,

Thank you for your lovely comments! We pride ourselves on our fresh seasonal food and service. We will take your views on our pricing into consideration.

We hope to see you and your friends again soon!