“The Pan-Pacific it ain't: a rustic bit of paradise it is.”
Review of Driftwood Village

Driftwood Village
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We spent two nights here in March, 2011, and loved our little cottage (number 9) under the trees. The large front room had a double bed and fireplace (with insta-light logs) at one end, a comfy couch and armchairs at the other. There was a well-equipped kitchen and dining room adjoining, plus a many-toweled-and-shelved cedar-lined bathroom with big-enough-for-two Jacuzzi tub and shower.

Lots of windows, loads of electric lights made it possible to read in bed or in the bath and to put make-up on without guessing where to put it (a luxury many motels fail to offer). If grandiose doormen and obsequious porters are your style, this ain’t for you; this isn’t the Pan-Pacific, folks; it’s a rustic country cabin, but it’s one that’s been well laid-out and thoughtfully appointed.

We were only there 2 nights, but people staying longer will find lots of drawers and storage places, and there’s even a little deck with table and chairs. We had our breakfast out there in the sunshine, even this early in the year!

We never did meet our landlady (you call her when you check in or want anything) from a phone in a little “welcome office,” but she was always there, always helpful. Even gave us the phone number of someone we were meant to look up, but whose number we’d lost! You wouldn’t get THAT at the Pan-Pacific. And your bill wouldn’t be NEARLY this low either.

Anne Swannell
3855 Saanich Road
Victoria, BC V8X 1Y5
[---]

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2011

This was the perfect retreat for me to get away and write. The accomodations were exactly at the level as presented, modest, but clean and cared for.
The management was responsive when I needed information, but respectful of my privacy also. I appreciated the small electric heater, it kept the cabin toasty. The mattress was also a plus, very good quality and supportive.
Because I was chiefly visiting to work, I enjoyed the opportunity to take a walk into town, stretch my legs, get a muffin and coffee at one of the small cafes there. This was about a twenty to twenty five minute stroll.
Fresh air, a calm and beautiful island environment. Suitable for anyone looking for value priced, simple and clean accomodation.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I took my partner here for a surprise getaway and we stayed for three nights. We felt like we were in our own little cottage; everything was tidy and neat. The setting is breathtaking with lovely landscaping and views that were amazing. My partner went exploring a nearby beach and saw a mama and baby orca swimming by! Everything we needed was close at hand and we very much appreciated that our hosts were available but not nearby so it really felt like a private cabin. We saved a lot of money by making meals in the kitchen rather than having to go out searching for places to eat. Tea on the balcony, the bed was super comfy...we kept meaning to go play badminton but never quite got there. Thanks for a lovely stay, we'll certainly be back.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

unless you want overpriced, smelly, dirty & unclean, cold baths, smoke-out from the fireplace, broken glass shard instead of a window and well-developed spider webs in your glasses, light fixtures & pantry. They lied about the wifi, the tv only gets 2 channels, barely. I could not believe the price they charge for this place. We left after one night. Galiano has many beautiful places to stay, do not waste your $$ here. They also say you can walk from the ferry - only if you want to hoof it for an hour lugging all your stuff!

I could go on but I'd rather move on and enjoy the lovely little place we found next.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cala3
KarmiGalianoIsland, Owner at Driftwood Village, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

The above review was obviously written by very unhapppy guests, and we are deeply concerned that we contributed to their distress. As to the details I can say in our defense that:
- We provide free 3-hour firelogs that are smoke-free for two of our cottages whose location prevents the use of wood.
- There was no broken glass in the cottage. The kitchen window had been temporarily repaired until a new pane could be ordered and installed.
- We have wireless internet access but reception depends on the location of our cottages on the property. If needed our guests can have access in our office.
- Spiders are at their peak in September in the woods of Galiano. We should have been more diligent in tracking them down.
- As to any odour or a less than acceptably clean cottage, a possible explanation is that at the end of a busy summer the combination of hot weather, high turnover and tired staff eroded our normal high standards. If this was the case, we apologise. Under normal circumstances we would try to rectify the problem by whatever means we could.
- The walk to Driftwood from the ferry takes 30 minutes on average. We offer complimentary pick-up and delivery for our guests who have boarded the ferry as walk-ons. I cannot recall why these guests were left to fend for themselves and I am sorry for that.

Reviewed 5 September 2010

My wife and I had a lovely week at this resort situated on a wonderful unpolluted island whose inhabitants were very friendly. The isolation of the cottage (#3) itself with its pristine surroundings and natural inhabitants (deer feeding at our doorstep), the ferry passing by like a phantom on a mission all made our stay very appealing. We both love to read and the encouraging atmosphere of the entrance to our cottage beckoned us to relax with our favourite novels. The kitchen was well equipped (needs a microwave?); the bedroom was fine, the living/dining room and bathroom were adequate and the front porch was an added attraction for
'tea".

R and M Calgary

Positive: Very attractive surroundings; meets one's basic needs for a quiet vacation.
Negative: Nothing to complain about; this is what we were looking for; away from our home in the city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights. When we first made the booking th web site said $77 for the room. We were pleased with the price and looking at the photos the accommodation looked ok. When we entered the room it had a horrible smell and the room was very small compared to what it looked like on the photo. But because of price we didn't care so much. Over the next day or so we realised the water from the taps is undrinkable the bed was rediculously hard we ended up sleeping on the couch. Then to top it all off when we came to pay we were charged $288 instead of the $144 it said from the web site. We were in a hurry to catch the ferry we didn't have time to complain. I checked the website later that day and they had raised their prices since I booked. All I say is confirm ur price when booking and for the price you can stay at much better locations.

1  Thank Tocsyarg

I am sorry that these guests were confused about Driftwoods' prices. We never try to obscure the cost of our cottages - it would be stupid and counterproductive to do so. We also charge the price in effect on the booking date, so there was a misunderstanding in this case.
Sometimes cooking odors linger in housekeeping cottages. If we are notified as soon as a guest arrives we do our best to solve the problem (another cottage, cleaners, deoderizers).
Driftwood has its own well and the taste may not be to everyones' liking. The water is tested monthly by the Vancouver Island Health Authority.
Concerning the "hard bed" we have found that people prefer a firmer style mattress so that is what we provide.

Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed here for the first time on Galiano Island. Check in was fairly easy but also a bit odd. Since they do not appear to have a regular office, just a tiny hut to check in by picking up the phone and calling. A young woman brought over our key and after showing us the cottage, without saying much else left. It was the quickest check-in I have ever had. She did not ask if we had any questions, did not offer any information about the island, etc. Except for when we asked for a receipt the day before we left, we never saw the owners. Suppose that is fine for those that like solitude which this place seems well suited for. The cottage was adequate; the living area had very worn carpets and furniture and seemed smaller than the picture on the website. We did enjoy the fireplace and relaxing in the living room in the evening. The kitchen was fine; refrigerator, stove; had cookware, utensils, plates, bowls, etc. I thought the bedroom was rather spacious and the bed and bedding comfortable. My husband tried out the whirlpool tub and said that it was not designed well at all for turning on and off, sprayed water all over. He did not suggest I use it which I did not. The place was very quiet. The grounds were nice and there was a bit of a view of the Bay from our porch but not much. The website said that there were three parks that one could walk to. Since I love hiking, walking I took advantage of this. The best park, Bluffs Park was within walking distance but was not close and I had to walk up the road awhile before coming to the "entrance" The parks on Galiano Island seem rather undeveloped (except for Montague). I liked walking through Bluffs Park which is small and has beautiful views. Another park mentioned on the website, Matthews Point does not seem to be maintained and there was nothing really there. All in all though, the island is quaint and nice to visit. The place grew on me the longer I stayed. We explored by car and not difficult to get around, as it is quite small. There are little trails throughout the island that lead to the rocky shoreline, kind of fun to explore. The best place to visit is Montague Bay Provincial Park. What a beautiful place and now one of my all time favorite beaches!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3.7 km away
Bodega Ridge
Bodega Ridge
#1 of 1 in North Galiano

Been to Driftwood Village? Share your experiences!