All reviews memorable hotel room was clean an older hotel new owners enjoyed our stay townsite charm pub
Reviewed February 5, 2018

We had booked this hotel on the basis of existing reviews which are either terribly outdated or describe a different season here. While there are some obvious draws if you happen to be an historian or are interested in how to use heritage details in renovations, that might make this an interesting stay. The central lobby and staircase themselves are worth a visit. There are many historical photos on display, exhibiting the past century since the Rodmay was built, as well as vintage chairs in rooms and hallways, and other items from years past. The current owner / management has included welcome details in the room in which we stayed - ceramic mugs for the coffee maker, and real glasses in the bathroom, as well as a pair of wine glasses (something about which I have commented favourably in other reviews). There was a good supply of toiletries available for our use, which was lovely. Contrary to one review, there was no breakfast available, nor did we ever see any staff beyond our check-in. There is a large, beautifully furnished room which looked like a dining room (maybe a great place for a reception) but everything was closed. There was a chain across the staircase leading to the third floor with a "no trespassing" sign. While our room was clean and odour-free (very important!) it showed signs of neglect. Grouting in shower was black with mildew, pillows and blanket were in desperate need of replacement. As one previous reviewer mentioned, grubby window ledges and cracked window panes were also present. The hot water issue continues. Then there was the noise! If you are a pub patron, visiting the adjacent one Friday and Saturday night would be a good idea until well after midnight if you want a peaceful sleep afterwards. Not before... Present management may indeed be in the process of updating / renovating, and this is certainly badly needed, but there are simple details that could easily be improved at low cost. Even including a box of Kleenex and more than one hangar would also be a nice touch. We don't intend a return visit.

Room tip: Stay anywhere else!
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2017

We stayed at this Heritage Hotel on a cross Canada road trip. The room is big with nice wood furniture and breakfast is included in the rate. It is an older hotel so plug-ins were scarce but internet worked well. We enjoyed our stay and we also enjoyed walking around the historical Powell River District. This hotel is recommended for couples and people comfortable in a rustic setting.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2017 via mobile

Nice and roomy, heritage ambience, but: looking forward to getting home so we can have baths with some HOT WATER. You can let it run and run: barely above room temperature.

Also, the "kitchenette" consists of a tiny bar fridge, toaster, (very anemic) microwave, and a Mr. Coffee. No sink (executive bathroom for that), no stove: though the utensil drawers have full complement of flippers and ladles.

Window ledges grubby, one or two cracked/broken panes, broken latches.

It was an experience, but we certainly won't be going back.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2017 via mobile

This was our second visit to this memorable hotel. We noticed updates and renovations by the new owners. We enjoyed the Executive Suite and had a wonderful happy hour in comfortable seats and afternoon sun. We sisters shared two rooms and they were clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and even provided us with a bag of breakfast goodies as we were taking the first ferry and would miss the opening of the restaurant.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2017 via mobile

Well how to begin.. I'm lucky my wife didn't divorce me, she hated this place. Never mind her... I thought the place was quaint. I kept thinking about how many people have been through those doors and how grand this was in it's prime. I was expecting ghosts or things like the movie "A night in the museum" to come to life.
I was told by the company that reserved my night stay I would have a ocean view.. that was a lie.
We traveled with our pooch, for being a pet friendly hotel, they offered no doggie blanket or water bowls, or even a treat.
The bed.. the most important item in a room... well I have had worse, I woke up with a slightly sore back, but I did sleep all night and that is important too.
Temperature in the room was just right for us
Office staff were friendly and kind.
The price was fair, no complaints about that.
Maybe the owners hands are tied with political red tape, or just financial issues to update the hotel. I don't know.. anyways I'm glad I spent one night in it, but never again.. to save my marriage .. but I personally liked the memories it created

Date of stay: March 2017