All reviewsnew buildingliquor storebeautiful viewtexada islanda million dollar viewroom was clean and comfortablethe ground floorindoor poolwould stay here againqueen bedsmall fridgeclose to townsunshine coastsmall townbightbalconysunset
Reviewed March 28, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here in March 2018 with two pre-teens and loved it. Although the name is a bit overstated (not really a “resort”, more a quaint motel on the water), it’s affordable, comfortable and the staff are fantastic. Had a wonderful woman check us in. Beautiful view from our balcony. Room was clean and all amenities you would expect are stocked. The pool was big, warm and clean. I cannot say enough about the Seasider Pub and Bistro. The ambiance was warm and welcoming. We all had the Seasider burger for dinner - the burger was juicy and had this red relish that really put it over the top and the fries were worth going back for. Zach, our waiter/bartender was awesome! Service was exceptional. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2018

Beach Gardens obviously used to be a high end resort when Powell River was having better times. These days, only a fraction of the buildings are open to tourists. The rooms that are open have fabulous views and have been renovated, so are very nice. They've just opened a new restaurant, it's chic, modern and I'm sure lovely. We didn't go because the menu didn't appeal.

The reception is in one of the older buildings. It smells like 1970's hotel, and has chains and padlocks on rooms that are now not in use. Check-in took absolutely ages, and every question we asked the receptionist about Powell River was answered with "I don't know". Once we had finally checked in, the receptionist told us, that the phones in the rooms had broken a while ago, so they had been removed. I have to say, had we not had a reservation, I would have walked out and gone some where else.

It's not the hotel's fault that the city is down on it's luck, and you can see that they are obviously trying to make what they have work, but I felt that they missed the mark by not doing some easy and free stuff that would make a better impression.

Once we were in the room, we were happy, and the views are spectacular. I'd like to see this place do better, I think it can. To me it looks like the sort of a business problem that would be interesting to solve by the right person. This place has the potential to be so much more.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Galatseas
Reviewed March 26, 2018

Just visited this hotel a week ago. It is the off season there so the restaurant was closed. It's is an older building but the views (rooms probably only 100 feet from the ocean) were beautiful. We checked in at the main office at the building at the top of the hill, then drove down a small driveway to the hotel. It looks as though it is a very large complex with many buildings, I assume the individual buildings are cabins for rent (or maybe they are owned by someone else?) the front office staff was made up of one lady, not friendly at all, made me feel like we were a bother as we asked questions about the restaurant, pool etcetera. The rooms are in a multilevel complex with outdoor doors so maybe the set up is motelish. The parking is very close to the doors, an outdoor elevator services the rooms. When you enter the room from the parking lot door, the room runs the width or the building with a sliding door with a small Juliet balcony with a couple of weather plastic chairs and a small plastic table. Amazing view. The rooms have standard 2 beds, tv, bathroom. There is a small area with Keurig coffee/tea options. Our room had a small fridge with a microwave sitting on top of the fridge. I must say if you are travelling with someone who would use the fold out couch DONT USE IT, As I said earlier it is an older complex and the pull out couch was completely unusable! Tried to brave through the experience but ended up bunking in with my elderly mother in her queen bed. I don't think it's fair to advertise sleeping options that CANNOT be used. I would rate the cleanliness of the room at about a 4. It looked clean when we entered but as we settled in it was obvious it had not been vacuumed so instantly it makes we weary to think what else might not have been cleaned. The dated bedspreads were a turn off, but the sheets were very clean, and the pillows and towels were also very nice. I washed the coffee cups vigorously before use. One thing I noticed more than anything else was the complete silence of the area. It was so quiet it seemed like even a quiet conversation was loud. A couple of things to note - I think this place is packed solid during the warm weather, there is a HUGE parking lot at the top of the complex when you turn in off the road. There is an outdoor BBQ area that looks like it would be a great place to hang out during warm weather, it is fenced in by a 3 foot fence lined with clear lights (not on when we were there) and there is a round outdoor fireplace next to the BBQ area which is right at the waterfront so I'm sure it is a nice place to sit in the summer. There is a marina right out front but the signs say it is a private complex so I don't know if patrons could bring and park a boat. It's not a fair review as it seems like it would be a completely different experience in the summer. And I'm not 100% sure what is owned by the hotel (possibly all of it - or maybe only the room complex and the main building where we checked in. When we left. We dropped off the room cards with the front desk and there was a different lady and she was extremely nice and very friendly.

Room Tip: Off season was very quiet - probably not the same in summer
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Sasssiest
Reviewed March 13, 2018

20 years ago, Beach Gardens used to be the best place to go in Powell River, but now it is run down. The owners don't seem interested in spending money on this classic fantastic older building. This is a prime business for a serious investor(s) to spend a little money and restore a fantastic building. Open up the old kitchen and pub and rebuild the deck. Rebuild the old rooms or tear them down. We were staying in them about 5 months ago and they stunk of smoke and mold. They reminded me of old rooms you would rent for $20.00 a night, bugs included. The Beach Gardens has sooooo much potential!!!!!!!! Wish I had the money to buy it up!

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank Norm1954
Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

Great location although it is dated.
Restaurant was closed but that just allowed me to check out the town. There were many options available for dining.
Has everything you need for a short stay.
Close to town with Ocean Views.
Check in was helpful and funny.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business