“Excellent guiding, equipment and food, spectacular setting”

Powell River Sea Kayak
More attraction details
Owner description: Specializing in Desolation Sound, British Columbia, where warm pacific waters teem with marine wildlife and the majestic coast mountains tower over idyllic islands. Join us at our uniquely wonderful eco-resort on an uninhabited island in the heart of Desolation and enjoy locally sourced foods, cozy comforts and a perfectly idyllic setting. Guided and non-guided packages available. Multi-day camping tours are another option for experiencing Desolation Sound or join one of our daily guided tours and whet your appetite for longer adventures. Kayak rentals are available for those seeking self-guided exploration. Snorkel with the STARS! in the unusually warm waters and experience colourful sea stars, sea cucumbers, spiny urchins and much more. Experience the adventure in Desolation!
Reviewed October 13, 2015

Hi Adam,

Hi Adam - An overdue note to tell you how much we enjoyed our kayak trip Sept 11-14/15 in Desolation Sound. From start to finish, really spectacular. Our guide, Luke, was just excellent, both his guiding, his direction,and of course his cooking. We really were not expecting such great food and coffee!! Despite the windy weather the 3rd day that kept us off the water, we still enjoyed a little hike and a visit to the cabanas - a definite highlight on the list for next time. I am very impressed with your company, and just wanted to let you know how great a time we had! We will be back...

Date of experience: September 2015
"amazing lunch"
"flush toilets"
"amazing food"

Reviewed September 15, 2015

We rented kayaks for a day of paddling around Okeover Inlet. The kayaks were ready for us on time (we reserved the day before). The friendly and helpful staff made sure we had everything we needed. The bay they launch from is very protected, with a gradual drop off, making launching easy. The inlet is also protected, with calm waters. This was one of the highlights of our trip. The value was excellent compared to what we'd pay in the Vancouver area.

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank TPT_Traveller
Reviewed September 2, 2015

My wife and I had done a three-day tour in Okeover Inlet with this company years ago and it was excellent. This time, we chose the six-hour tour of the Copeland Islands departing from Lund.

Kayaks and gear are supplied, and it's all good quality. A picnic lunch also is provided. All we had to bring was some layered clothing, water shoes and water to drink. They don't provide gloves, so if you want to wear gloves while paddling, bring them along.

I got a bad feeling during preparations for our tour when they handed out life-jackets and had only small-medium sizes. Most members of our group needed large life-jackets, and they didn't have a single one at the shop. They also expressed reluctance to allow me to leave my backpack at their shop during the tour. Clients forget their belongings after the tour, they explained. Fair enough, but I didn't want to bring my backpack in the kayak. In the end, they did allow me to leave my backpack at the shop, and all six people on our tour were fitted with life-jackets even though they weren't necessarily the right size.

The rest of the tour went fine. Kelly, our guide, did a good job of explaining how to get in and out of the kayaks and how to paddle for the people in our group who had little or no kayaking experience, as well as what to do in the unlikely event we capsized. She provided all the necessary information, but in a casual and simple way so we weren't intimidated by the experience.

We set out from Lund at low tide under sunny skies and on calm seas, with no wind. As we paddled north along the shore, Kelly pointed out sea urchins, sea cucumbers and sea stars.

After maybe a half-hour, we were parallel to the southern end of the Copeland Islands and it was time to cross the channel to reach them. Larger boats frequently use that channel, and Kelly explained that for safety reasons we had to cross as a group, which we did. We continued on, weaving leisurely north through the islands and around them.

We stopped for lunch at a pretty bay on one of the northern islands. This particular island had campsites and a pit toilet, and Kelly spread out our picnic at one of the sites. Lunch consisted of croissants, ginger snaps, rice crackers, grapes, blueberries, cheese, sausage and a selection of sliced fresh vegetables, along with lemon water. We shared a chocolate bar for dessert. There was plenty of food.

After lunch, we paddled back to Lund against a light breeze, which helped to keep us cool. As it became apparent that the tour was going to run overtime, Kelly checked to make sure no one needed to be back in Lund by a particular time and didn't try to rush us back.

Overall, we had a wonderful day. If not for the life-jacket and backpack issues, I would have rated this tour excellent.

1  Thank Stratusphunk
Reviewed August 27, 2015

I get together with a dear friend from university days once yearly. This year we decided to do a 3 day kayaking adventure for my 60th birthday. We were placed in a group of 7 other women, our trip guided by Luke and Alix. I cannot say enough good stuff about our guides. They were knowledgeable, incredibly hard working, respectful and just really wonderful to spend time with. They did everything in their power to make this experience enjoyable and safe. The meals they prepared were amazing!!! Sitting up on the bluff of our campsite, after a beautiful day on the water, eating a delicious meal with a group of wonderful people, a beautiful sunset in the back group. Priceless!!!!
Adam, the owner, did an artful job of placing us with a group of 7 other women. The group can make it or break it and in this case it was perfect. I enjoyed every single person and loved being part of this group. Wonderful, wonderful women; warm, fun, inclusive and adventurous.
And the paddling of course - we did it!! We were all so proud of ourselves. The scenery is rugged and beautiful. The distances the guides chose were just right. Enough to be challenged. On our way back the water was calm and sparkling with the sun, we were "well podded", travelling in a group, a huge clear blue sky, silence but for the sound of paddles dipping into the water. I felt totally blessed to have had this experience with this group of people in this beautiful place.
Thank you to everyone that shared in this with us.
Adam, you got this down!! Every single interaction we had, from start to finish, was great. Thank you to you and your staff!

1  Thank westcoastBc