“After a long wet day in the saddle, this was heaven sent”

Masthead Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Cowichan Bay
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2016

Staying at a Super 8 and not wanting to risk Smitty's, we cabbed over to the Masthead without an appointment and we were treated like long lost friends. Professionalism of service and balance between being there and leaving you alone was perfect. We had crab cakes and the muscles and scallops, both reportedly excellent. For mains we both had lamb shanks, fall off the bone quality on a bed of mashed yams! Excellent sweetness amidst the meat and gravy. Creme brûlée and chocolate desserts rounded it up. Not rushed at all, pinot noir by the glass was a great match. What a place!

Reviewed October 17, 2016

The chef offers a generous three-course meal that is not only good value, but also a sumptuous meal that I have had twice in the past two months. The main on these occasions was a pasta/ beef brisket dish that was hearty, rich, and tasty. The regular menu offers a full range of meals that one would expect at an establishment known for fine dining. This restaurant is a local destination to celebrate those special occasions and enjoy a wine from their well-selected list. Knowledgeable, friendly staff ensure that your dining experience is first rate.

Reviewed September 29, 2016 via mobile

The home made chips were delicious. I'm so glad we tried them. Probably some of the best I've had. The chowder was good, the scallop appetizer very good, and the mussels appetizer excellent. I would order the latter next time. Service was good with attitude. At times, we felt like we were putting them out. I've travelled a lot and this is a turnoff for me. I treat people with respect and expect the same.

Reviewed September 28, 2016

Great food, brilliant service, piano and double bass live music - as always with food, you get what you pay for and it was well worth it!

Reviewed September 19, 2016

The food was delicious, but our service was a little slow. I think we were forgotten about, or maybe our server was just very busy. We were put at a table in the back corner behind the bar. We received water, but our drink order wasn't taken for at least 15 min.