“A must see attraction” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Butchart Gardens Tour from Victoria
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: These internationally acclaimed floral display gardens, and National Historic Site of Canada, started over 100 years ago and remain privately owned by the family. Jennie Butchart wanted to make her husband's depleted limestone quarry look better and the result is the Sunken Garden. Other gardens include the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden and the Italian Garden. The gardens are meticulously maintained and provide a riot of colour for much of the year. During the summer, special lighting subtly illuminates the gardens, musical entertainment takes place on the Concert Lawn, and there are ten spectacular Saturday night Firework Shows. The Magic of Christmas season also has beautiful lighting and evening entertainment, and an outdoor skating rink. Spring offers hundreds of thousand flowering bulbs and Autumn is the time for dahlias, chrysanthemums and fall colours. The Gardens is open daily, year round.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
San Diego
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“A must see attraction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I must admit I did not want to see this attraction during our visit to BC. My wife basically dragged me here. We have a fairly nice garden at home and I thought what is the big deal about seeing someone elses. I was completely wrong. This place is amazing. There is every flower species you can think of. I made it a personal goal to try to find a weed growing in this place and I could not find one. The health and beauty of the flowers are amazing. I cannot imagine the amount of work that must go in to keep this place so pristine. There is an area with the original property mansion and from there it looks out to a lake and the view from there is unbelievable. Reminds you of the old English castle gardens. I am glad I went to see this amazing attraction.

Visited August 2013

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful but crowded even on a Thursday. The history of the creation of the gardens was cool. The cost to get in is quite high also. The flowers and grounds of course we're beautiful!

Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Turist trap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

My concern is admission - I had hard time believe that they charge $30 for garden I can see in every other public park in and around Victoria , BC. I hope my $30 will go towards owners trip to Japan so they can see how Japan garden looks like , I was not satisfied , don't waste your time here.

1 Thank Kaky11
Louisville, Kentucky
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“So Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Everyone told me that I have to see the gardens while in Victoria. If you love flowers it is a must see. Tulips and flowering trees everywhere. There are fountains, Redwoods, and Roses. It is around $30 to get in, and a 40 min drive from the bay. You can also have tea there if you were thinking of having a tea service while in Victoria

1 Thank realtortothestars
Oakville, Canada
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Breathtakingly Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Butchart Gardens is really too lovely to pass up if you are visiting Vancouver Island. You will read reviews talking about the high prices and they are right...this is not an inexpensive visit. But here's what you get. Well organized and painstakingly maintained facilities right down to the admissions, parking, and services, on top of the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen including many in Europe. The variety of plants, colours, layout, and upkeep are all admirable. On our visit nothing was out of place, or incomplete and the gardeners were almost invisible. The background story and history of the place add greatly to the visit and there is enough there to spend the whole day. (So you get you money's worth) Your kids will love the carousel and even your dog can enjoy the walk. There is a lovely gift shop, a restaurant, a gelatoria, and a plant identification stop. Everything has been done right in our opinion.

4 Thank Jlknkd