“The nicest gardens I have ever seen........” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Brentwood Bay Kayak Tour and Butchart Gardens Visit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: These internationally acclaimed floral display gardens, and National Historic Site of Canada, started over 100 years ago and remain privately owned by the family. Jennie Butchart wanted to make her husband's depleted limestone quarry look better and the result is the Sunken Garden. Other gardens include the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden and the Italian Garden. The gardens are meticulously maintained and provide a riot of colour for much of the year. During the summer, special lighting subtly illuminates the gardens, musical entertainment takes place on the Concert Lawn, and there are ten spectacular Saturday night Firework Shows. The Magic of Christmas season also has beautiful lighting and evening entertainment, and an outdoor skating rink. Spring offers hundreds of thousand flowering bulbs and Autumn is the time for dahlias, chrysanthemums and fall colours. The Gardens is open daily, year round.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
West Hollywood, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“The nicest gardens I have ever seen........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2007

I visited here in June of 2006. All I can say is that I was very, very, pleased with these magnificent gardens. I have done a lot of travelling since last year and I havent seen nicer gardens. The ones in Bogota and Spain compare, but dont beat Butchart because Butchart offers the unbeilevable diversity. STAY FOR THE FIREWORKS. I did, and I have only seen one better show in my whole life. They last for a whole 30 minutes. The fireworks started at approximetly 10 pm and went to about 10:30! If you decide to go, put down a blanket at 3 pm in the park to get a good seat. You can make a day at Butchart easily fly by, so staying in the park for 7 hours is easy. I also reccomend the guided 3 hour tour of the gardens. There is detailed information about the plants, the architecture and the history of the gardens and they make time for resting at the cafe. The italian restraunt at Butchart is a lovely senic place for lunch. I recommend the salads, because the rest of the dishes likely have upwards of 300 calories per plate!!! I spent about $840 US at Butchart that day, including all of my purchases at the gift boutique. This is one of my favorite places in North America, and I plan on visiting Victoria next year to expierence the magic again! :)

5 Thank Little_Travel77

Chattanooga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Gardens”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2006

We just returned from a cruise on the Sun Princess on 7-2-06. We were in Victoria on 7-1-06 for Canada Day. We stayed around to watch the sun set and witness the fireworks for the Canada Day celebration. What a beautiful city! We booked an excursion to Butchart Gardens through the ship. I am not a "flower" person but my wife and mother were both with me and they are gardening junkies. Needless to say, they loved it. I have to admit that even a guy like me who isn't in to flowers was impressed by the gardens. We have made several trips to the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina. While their gardens are impressive, nothing I have ever seen compares to Butchart. Don't miss it if you go to Victoria.

5 Thank Chattanooga
Durham, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Beautiful: A Must See!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2006

Saw the gardens on a recent trip. Though I am not much of a garden person, these were beautiful and worth the trip. Even though it was slightly drizzling, I had a wonderful time and was awestruck by the beauty of the landscapes and the vegatation. I only wished I had been able to see the rose garden in bloom. Some of my pictures were the highlights of my trip. A definate must see!

3 Thank BdevilDan
Oregon/Washington
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 227 helpful votes
“Stunning Gardens1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2006

We visited Butchart Gardens the last week in March. We arrived just as they opened and enjoyed the lack of crowds. Everything was so beautiful and meticulously maintained. We enjoyed reading about the history of the gardens, as well as taking in the scenery and of course the wonderful scents. We spent several hours at Butchart Gardens and look forward to visiting again during the other seasons.

10 Thank Mtngrl
A TripAdvisor Member
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2006

We took a tour offered by our cruise ship. I cannot begin to tell you how magnificent the gardens are. Manicured, colorful, serene, most beautiful gardens I have seen. Would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys gardening, photography or just sitting somewhere quietly. I do not recommend taking children under the age of 10. They will be bored.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member