“good mains, deceptive starter and shameful dessert”

The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brentwood Drive
Transit: BC Transit Bus Route #75 located directly in front of Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa.
Description: We celebrate, we dazzle, we educate. Since 2004, Brentwood Bay Resort and Spa has had the pleasure of accommodating thousands of guests locally and from all over the world. Set on traditional Saanich territory, The Resort incorporates the natural beauty of its surroundings into our guests' experience. From the architecture, boasting of Douglas Fir and Red Cedar, to our locally-sourced ingredients, The Dining Room is committed to incorporating the culture of the Resort and the soul of the Pacific North West into each dish. We hope to welcome you to the Dining Room and share the experience with you.
Reviewed December 30, 2017

We had the prefix menu and 3 of us chose the beet salad - greens with beets. There were no beets - none at all, no explanation. The greens were limp with a drizzle of balsamic and a tablespoon of crumbled feta. Give me a break.
The main of beef rib was good, tender and hot. Hard as rock Brussels sprouts.
I'm writing this review because the tarte tatin was an absolute insult - to desserts anywhere. It was nowhere near warm, if it was ever hot in it's existence. It was served on a pancake - not a pastry, it is was limp and undercooked. The apples tasted of dusty cinnamon, and sour un-cooked apples. There was no cream, iced or whipped. Truly astounding disappointment for a dessert.
My friend's chocolate mousse thing was fine but totally uninspired. Made by robots far from Brentwood Bay no doubt.

Caitlin P, other at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

Hello rbrendan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that our 3-course meal fell short of your expectations.

The beet salad is certainly meant to come with beets, and I hope this issue was brought to your server’s attention in order to make amends. I will inform our chef of this occurrence, and also that the Brussels sprouts require a little more attention. Secondly, while our tart tatin is meant to be served at room temperature, we have received concerns about it in the past and we are looking at how to improve it or replace it. Finally, I am very sorry to hear you felt our mousse was uninspired; I assure you it is handmade in house.

We consistently hear good feedback about our 3-course meal and it sounds like all the things that can go wrong have happened to you and for that I am deeply sorry. I hope that in the future you will allow us another chance to dazzle you.

Once again, thank you for your review. We are always open to receiving constructive criticism in an attempt to improve ourselves.

Yours sincerely,

Caitlin Pierce

Reviewed December 16, 2017

Friendly staff, beautiful views and a delicious breakfast - what more could you ask for to start out your day at Brentwood Bay and Resort?

KatherineMMurphy, Manager at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2017

Thank you for the kind words Margot. We look forwards to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 17, 2017 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I went to the Brentwood Dining Room for our Anniversary dinner. The place is quite open with a beautiful view out towards the ocean...we went after sunset tho!
The service was very good and attentive but the food....it was incredibly good. Our teen actually devoured everything (mushroom pate with crackers, sushi) and of course sampled the tuna my wife ordered and my steak...
Excellent dinner all around!

KatherineMMurphy, Manager at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2017

Hi Jonathan S,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us so thoroughly. We are proud of our service team, our spectacular view and our food. We do adore knowing that others have the wonderful experience we aim for.

Many thanks,

Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

Excellent food! Very well prepared and presented. Varied menu so something for everyone. Views are spectacular!

KatherineMMurphy, Manager at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2017

Thank you for the kind words Rubeenasidhi. We look forwards to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2017

It was a dark and stormy night……..And that’s about as bad as it gets…. Reservations were set for 6:45 pm on a Saturday evening. Showed up about 30 minutes early. No problem at all.. The table we requested was ready and waiting. From minute one, I had a difficult time not repeating “I’m impressed….I am so impressed.” Our server introduced himself and the evening progressed wonderfully. Fresh baked bread. Butter was perfectly soft. An appetizer from the sushi menu was timed perfectly and made fresh. The wine list…. I suggested to Derek, our server, that there must be a good lock on the wine cellar considering the selection…on which Derek replied “Yes! And I have the key!” Prices for domestic wines were not high at all. Or meals were served with just the right amount of wait time. We both ordered the steak and found the portion to be large. The cut was excellent and the accompaniments, mashed potatoes and broccoli were prepared very well. The mashed potatoes were slightly lumpy by design. All so good!
Couldn't leave without dessert. A three way sampler of truffles, creme de caramel and butterscotch cream. Beautiful!!!
Again, on leaving I could not help but reiterating “ I am impressed”. I arrived expecting hotel restaurant quality and I have to say, my expectations were exceeded incredibly. The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort is a five star, white linen eating establishment through and through with prices that are very very reasonable.
Wow! So impressed… Keep it up! Thanks for the wonderful evening!
Take two…..
Breakfast…Wow…. Warm friendly greeting. Wonderful wingback chairs with another great view of the marina. Straight to the point. What a wonderful meal! So relaxing. Both our breakfasts were served piping hot and portions were large. Impressed 2.0!
Arrive with high expectations and you will not be disappointed!

Hi Steve M,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed yourself so much. We look forwards to welcoming you back soon.