“Utterly appalling service, uninspired food.”

The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brentwood Drive
Transit: BC Transit Bus Route #75 located directly in front of Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa.
Description: We celebrate, we dazzle, we educate. Since 2004, Brentwood Bay Resort and Spa has had the pleasure of accommodating thousands of guests locally and from all over the world. Set on traditional Saanich territory, The Resort incorporates the natural beauty of its surroundings into our guests' experience. From the architecture, boasting of Douglas Fir and Red Cedar, to our locally-sourced ingredients, The Dining Room is committed to incorporating the culture of the Resort and the soul of the Pacific North West into each dish. We hope to welcome you to the Dining Room and share the experience with you.
Reviewed February 18, 2018

Do yourself a favour and skip this place. Really, really...at least until they fire everyone there and do a rehire from the ground up. It's a shame, especially if you're staying at the hotel as we were, because the hotel itself is quite tastefully done and we enjoyed our time there apart from our experience at the dining room. We had looked forward to having breakfast in there, watching the sea outside.

Unfortunately, I can't say I've ever had as bad of service as we received for our meal. It was hardly existent. The restaurant wasn't even that busy (5 tables maybe between two servers), so we couldn't figure out what took so long for our food to arrive (45 minutes for an omelet), for our plates to be cleared, for a refill on water, for a checkin to be done about how our food was, for our check to come.

We spent about an hour and a half for what was basically food we could have gotten anywhere, for a bit more of the price. If I had to choose between say, a greasy little diner in NYC, and this place, I'd choose the diner anyday. At least it'd be worth the price.

Go elsewhere. You won't regret it.

2  Thank Sam S
Caitlin P, Food and Beverage Leader at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2018

Noah C,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am extremely displeased to hear about your experience. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention so that we can work towards improving both our menu and our service.

Regards,

Caitlin P.

Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

The three stars are for the quality of our breakfasts. There was great selection on the menu. The service was quite poor (lots of errors on the orders, not all food ordered was delivered, wrong style eggs and toast on multiple orders, errors in billing) so not likely to return here for breakfast again.

1  Thank Twickes

Twickies,

Thank you for your review. I’m so sorry to hear that your breakfast experience was lackluster. I will certainly be speaking to our staff to ensure that our service improves.

Regards,

Caitlin

Reviewed February 4, 2018

Four of us used a Groupon for a three course tasting which provided good value. We've done this before and enjoyed it. This time though we could only get a reservation for 5:00 pm. The soup and salads were good although not spectacular and for main two ordered beef short ribs, and two fish. The fish was fine but a little on the fishy side, the short ribs were a major disappointment. They were dry and largely gristle. Our suspicion is that they were way over cooked – being early, did we get the previous night's leftovers?
Then on to dessert... the tart and the chocolate mousse were the highlight of the meal. All four of use send kudos to the pastry chef. We spoke with friends who were arriving as we left and they reported that their short ribs were wonderful but the tart soggy. It is apparent that timing is something the dining room can work on.
We'll try again in a month or so but will definitely choose a later sitting.

Susan Penumbra,

Many thanks for leaving such constructive feedback. I assure you that our guests are never served leftovers from a previous evening, and that everything is prepared and cooked to order. It sounds like your ribs were overcooked, and for that I am terribly sorry. That being said, you bring up an interesting point about timing in regards to the tart tatin; I will certainly speak to our chef about this, as we constantly receive mixed feedback about it.

I encourage you to reach out to us again following your next visit; your feedback is truly valuable to us! I hope you have a much more enjoyable experience next month.

Reviewed February 2, 2018

I don't think I have left a dining experience this disappointed before. The overall atmosphere and pricing of the restaurant does not match the quality of food that I had received. I was there with my wife for the 3 course Chef tasting menu where I had the following:

Roasted Cauliflower and Gorgonzola Soup (with crispy leeks and paprika oil)
-the soup had so much paprika oil in it that it overpowered whatever minimal gorgonzola was used in the soup and the crispy leeks were absent due to shortage (friday night at 8pm) The oil in the soup left a terrible mouth feel that stayed with me the whole night.

Artic Char (roasted winter veggies, rainbow potatos etc)
-the fish wasnt too bad,it was just quite oily (even for Arctic Char). The "roasted" winter veggies were far from roasted and far from being cooked. The potato, carrot and squash were all very much just shy of being raw and were also very oily (there is a trend with my dinner).

Tart Tatin( CARAMELIZED apples, puff pastry)
- my dessert was a pile of what looked like predone E.D Smith from the tub apple pie filling on top of an undercooked puff pastry that was soggy from the apple with 3 drops of watery "caramel sauce" garnished on the plate. To be quite honest, whoever made the dish probably has never seen what Tart Tatin actually looks like because the colour of the apples were FAR from caramelized.

Overall I ended up leaving hungry because I couldn't palette the majority of the meal and fortunately we went with a groupon so the bill was already heavily discounted. I have had meals at McDonalds' that have left me feeling less greasy and the most frustrating thing is being lied to on a menu and have a meal show up not representing what was described.

1  Thank vincebitcapitano
Caitlin P, Food and Beverage Leader at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2018

Mr Capitano,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Groupon menu.

I recall your visit with us and speaking to you about some of the aforementioned issues, including the dishes being too oily and the vegetables being undercooked. I have brought this to the attention of our chef, in the hopes that we can avoid them in the future. I will make sure to do the same with the remaining issues.

I understand that you are also a chef and so it is disappointing to hear that we could not satisfy your refined palette. I know that your partner enjoyed her meal, so I hope that you will both rejoin us in the future and have a more satisfying experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2018

We used a Groupon for our 3 course menu, and so the value was wonderful! I don't feel they delivered on the "dazzling" promised in the overview, however. The service was fairly inattentive (my water glass was never re-filled and our server got several parts of our order mixed up). The wine/beverage pairings were excellent, as was my main course - especially the vegetables. My husband loved his soup also. We had to wait an unreasonable amount of time between our main course and dessert, and I think my dessert (tarte tatin) would have been vastly improved by being warm and with something (ice cream? whipping cream) on the side. Our table was great and we loved the ambiance.

Caitlin P, other at The Dining Room at Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

GloriousKaren,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear about the aspects of your experience that you enjoyed, but disappointed that we did not dazzle you.

The Groupon season is certainly a busy one, and we are working very hard to ensure that all of our guests are properly looked after despite longer wait times. The water glasses not being refilled is certainly something that has been overlooked during the busier days, and we have spoken to our team about ensuring this small yet pertinent detail is not missed. I absolutely agree with you about the tarte tatin, and I am in discussion with the culinary team on how to improve it.

Thank you again for providing us with such valuable feedback. I hope that we will have the pleasure of serving you once again and that we will dazzle you the next time around!