“Great Britain guided tour with London extension”
Review of United Kingdom

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Midland, Texas
13 helpful votes
“Great Britain guided tour with London extension”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We took a 2 week vacation to Great Britain at the end of July 2009. For the first week we went on a guided Cosmos British Panarama bus tour (through vacations to go.com), and then we stayed an extra week in London in a flat owned by Carl & Liz Risberg. We have 3 girls ages 15,17, and 19. The tour worked well because we had a triple room for them (cheaper than a double). We stayed in a different hotel almost every night, so that got a little old repacking all the time. But it was a great way to see a litlle bit of everything as well at the countryside. Our guide, Hugh, was very informative and entertaining. We didn't get to stay long at any one place, but we got an idea of what we might want to see again. The excursions were a little expensive, but you didn't have to do them. Staying at a flat was good because we were able to buy food from the grocery store and save money by eating in. Overall, prices in London weren't that much more than the US, but when you added in the horrible exchange rate $1.65 per pound, it really made it more expensive. I bought London passes with the 7 day travel card option, and for our family it was great. There was no way to see all that it included, but it was nice having so many admission fees included. And the travel card was well worth it. We took the tube and buses a lot and it included the train to Windsor castle. The girls got tired of being on the go constantly as I tried to fit in as much as possible. But they loved the main sites and London in general, although we all thought it was a little crowded and fast paced. I think we all liked the English countryside and Scotland a little more than London itself. It was just a little more relaxed and pleasant. We loved the cool weather, and even though it rained off and on, it wasn't enough to spoil anything we did. It was actually a nice change, coming from the dry, 100 degree weather of west Texas. We really enjoyed the Tower of London and we lucked out in that the Buckingham Palace tours started two days before we left (they give them for only a month or two out of the year). Overall it was a great trip. We were definitely tired and ready to get back home, but with airfare so high and us being a family of 5, I really felt like we needed to stay for at least two weeks to get our money's worth. I'd like to go back and see Ireland and maybe more of Scotland and maybe more of Wales and the English countryside around the Lake District someday.

13 Thank texaggie1985
Haryana
12 helpful votes
“My Fav Places in UK”
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I went to UK last year on business trip and got fantastic experience over there in the form of people culture and locations. I have not felt bore at all like I am from india and the missing ness of india and my family was not so large but yes the people here are very good in their nature very helpful and kind. The places I roam all over the UK are Kingston University, Surbiton, Hayes, Central London, Science Muesuem, Madamme Tusade, Big Ban, London Eye and many more and the most great experience was a cruise trip over the thames river and I enjoyed a lot with my friend.

8 Thank Minishoppe
Glasgow, Scotland
11 helpful votes
“A very Anglo-centric view of UK history”
Reviewed June 12, 2006

When I came across this alleged account of the history of the UK, I was disappointed to find that the Scots, Welsh and Irish people had been reduced to bit-players in the history of England and her empire.

Scotland, Wales and Ireland have very rich histories and have made their own contributions both to the development of the UK and the evolution of the modern world. As a Scot, I find this "History of the UK" quite offensive. If I were Welsh or Irish I should be outraged! Three very proud and historic nations have been reduced by this "historian" to what he/she refers to as a "celtic fringe".

Having added some factual information concerning the history of the Scottish, Welsh and Irish nations to this English nationalist account of the UK, I discovered within a day that my insertions had been completely deleted.

As a Scot (I am sure my Welsh and Irish counterparts are quite capable of voicing their own views), I would urge any prospective visitor to the UK to search out two documents in advance of their visit:-

The first is "The Declaration of Arbroath", written some 4 centuries before the American Declaration of Independence: they may find some similarities;

The second is "The Scottish Enlightenment" by Arthur Hermann. Dr Hermann is an American scholar.

In addition, contributions by Scots, and by Northern Irishmen resident in Scotland (Hutchison, Kelvin), to mathematics, science, engineering, medicine, philosophy and political theory are too numerous to list here but are clearly too few for our English "historian" to mention. With a population that has never exceeded 5 million, Scotland has punched well above its weight in the invention of the modern world.

Anyone who, like me, finds that our English "historian"'s history of the UK is slightly out of date may be interested to know that the top ministerial posts in the UK Government (including that of Prime Minister, Chancellor (Chief Finance Minister), Home Secretary and many others are currently (June 2006) occupied by Scots. Please do not advise our "UK historian" of this as he may try to delete you (and them) for un-English activities!

9 Thank Stravaiger

Been to United Kingdom? Share your experiences!