“Pleasant and friendly place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rodney Hotel

The Rodney Hotel
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Bristol
Tewkesbury
“Pleasant and friendly place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

My partner and I stayed there for a weekend, with our two dogs. We had a comfortable and peaceful stay. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and well appointed. The breakfasts were certainly plentiful! All in all, a welcoming and pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: If you don't have pets with you, try to not have a room on the 'lower' floor, the floors...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear JB1234Tewkesbury,

Thank you so much for your review of the Rodney Hotel and I am so pleased that you, your partner and your dogs enjoyed your stay with us.
We prefer to allocate ground or lower ground floor rooms to those guests that bring their pets simply because it is easier for you to access the room and with plenty of trips outside it saves you walking up and down the stairs!
I hope that we can welcome you back to the Rodney Hotel for a future stay and please be sure to request a room upstairs if you are not bringing your dogs.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

This place really got me happy and angry in one go! Beware, the parking situation is a nightmare, if there aren't any of the ten hotel spaces available you are sent into the surrounding areas to find somewhere for yourself. Fifteen minutes later in the dark and cold I was freezing and trying to find my way ba as surrounding streets are permitted and packed. But...the entrance has a lovely log fire burning and once with wine in hand, life improved. My room was small, the shower didn't work and the bed was uncomfortable so back to angry again...but next morning, the service was amazing and the food amazing!! I don't know how to conclude....you pays ya money, you takes ya chances...good luck!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Snowqueen75,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel.
I would firstly like to apologize that you weren’t able to find a parking space outside the hotel. I wish we were able to provide more car parking spaces for our guests but unfortunately due to the areas historic nature and with the vast majority of buildings being listed parking is at a premium. There are a number of residential streets locally that don’t have any restrictions so I will ensure all my staff are aware of there location and are able to give accurate directions to and from the hotel.
I am sorry there was a technical fault with your shower. We would never knowingly let a guest use a room that had a faulty shower and I am terribly sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet the standards of service we expect our guests to receive.
I have spoken to my housekeeping team regarding this matter and have improved our daily logs and checks to ensure we can reduce the chances of this happening in the future.
I am so pleased you enjoyed the food, I will pass your comments on to the restaurant staff.

Thank you again for making me aware of the areas of the hotel and service that needed to be improved.
Please feel free to contact me at The Rodney Hotel if you wish to discuss this matter further.
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Rodney is the ideal Hotel in the ideal location for business trips to Bristol. With a lovely Restaurant on site and within spitting distance of some of the nicest bars in Bristol, I would recommend this Hotel to anyone who has never been to the area before. The atmosphere is relaxed and the staff are always friendly and helpful and I think this Hotel is extremely good value for money.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice with that interesting boutique look
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review of the Rodney Hotel. I am so pleased you found the atmosphere relaxed and received excellent service during your stay.
Clifton is such a beautiful area for anyone to visit and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I hope to see you again in the future.
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

My friends and I had a lovely short break at the hotel. We were in Bristol to take advantage of the January sales but didn't want to be in the city centre so the location was ideal. Just walking distance from the city centre and the harbour and in the centre of Clifton village, it meant we didn't need to use our cars at all. The rooms was clean with lovely high ceilings which gives a really nice feeling of space. We really appreciated the little touches of our well stocked hospitality tray, which also included fresh coffee (much to our delight) and fresh fruit in the room on each day we stayed.
I know parking can be a problem in Bristol so the spaces available at the front of the hotel were a god send, and I didn't mind paying the £6.50 per night to have the piece of mind of having my car off the main road.
All the staff we encountered were really helpful and friendly and gave us some brilliant suggestion for additional things to see and do. They were really a credit to the hotel and gave a person service I had not experienced before.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

Spent a week there during a conference. Very good breakfast, the food at the restaurant also quite impressive. Very friendly staff. But the single room was incredibly tiny, it was filled beyond capacity by my suitcase (not the largest I own...). The window didn't stay open (a problem during summer) without some inventive propps. There was a lot of space between the door and the floor so that light and noise could get through, also very thin walls (as in many English hotels). Very good location near the university and Clifton Bridge.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear Hans_Staden,
Thank you for your review of The Rodney Hotel, I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly and were impressed by the food from our AA rosette awarded restaurant.
I was disappointed to read that you had some issues with the room you were allocated to during your stay. I have had our in-house Maintenance team address the issues with the window in the room, it would appear that the sash cord had come loose which meant that it wasn’t holding the weight of the window. This has now been fixed and I have ensured all other sash windows have also been checked.
The period nature of the property has meant that some of the floors are slightly uneven leaving gaps under the bedroom doors. I am looking in to a solution to this issue that will work with the ever changing nature of such an old building.
Our aim is to provide comfortable, affordable accommodation and we would always be happy to move guests to alternative available rooms should our first choice not be suitable. Our reception desk is open 24hrs an day to ensure all questions and issues can be dealt with efficiently.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Top floor bedrrom described as one of their best, has flaky paint, peeling paper, damp-stains, poor 'make do and mend' patch repairs, sloping floors, curtains hanging off missing hooks. Even a window with no curtain at all! No milk, no tea-bags, bruised fruit in the 'complimentary fruit bowl'. Warm radiators though. But to top it all there's no free wifi, only a paid wifi service billed as 'unlimited' but which times out if you try to download too much iplayer content (two episodes in one night - not a chance). Seriously, you get kicked off the wifi and have to get a fresh login/password. Did I mention they bill this as an unlimited service on the sign at reception. Much as I hate to see the decline of character hotels, this place really needs to wake up to the 1990s at least, if not this century. You can tell the receptionists have a tough time explaining this to everyone who calls down for a new login and password every few hours. Some just resignedly tell you over the phone, while the dutiful climb the three flights of steep stairs (no lift) to present you with a printeout of the same info they could have read over the phone. Not one for the returning visitor.

Room Tip: avoid all the stairs. Make sure the room has curtains on ALL windows
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MsT_Ocarroll
RodneyManager, Manager at The Rodney Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear MsT_Ocarroll,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Rodney Hotel. I am terribly sorry you were disappointed by your recent stay with us. I have had a careful look at the issues you highlighted with my Housekeeping Manager and you like to assure you that all the problem areas have been addresses and rectified. The room has also been completely repainted in light of your photographs and all the smaller complaints raised with the individual room attendants. The small velux window in your room does have an in built blind which I am sorry you weren’t made aware of, I have added additional signage to the room to ensure any future guests don’t experience the same issues.
With regards to the wifi, I have to be honest and say that we have never had any previous complaints about the service that is offered. Our IT team set up the system to enable us to provide as many time options to our guests as possible. Thank you for informing me of the pitfalls you experienced with this service, I will be raising this issue with our IT department and hope we can offer a more user friendly system in the future.

Please feel free to contact me at The Rodney Hotel as I would be grateful for the opportunity to apologise directly.
Amy Allen

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Rodney is a real find. The staff are very helpful and accomodating
The rooms are always clean and the beds comfortable
I have stayed at many hotels in Bristol and I belive this is one of the best by far

Room Tip: If you are travelling alone still book a double room as the single rooms are small
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business