“Pleasant B&B in quiet location”
Review of Downlands House

Downlands House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bristol
Downlands House
Ranked #11 of 49 Bristol B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Friendly greeting, comfy bed in top floor room (no probs with room or bathroom size and I'm +6ft) nice breakfast. Good location for walk / no. 1 bus into Clifton or city centre. Would def stay again. Recommend kings arms pub and zio Italian restaurant on whiteladies road

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 11 March 2012

The two bells at the front door did not work when we arrived and so we had rather a long wait. The welcome was good, but the room (which had been booked well in advance) was on the top floor and was very small, as also was the double bed; and the shower/loo was too tiny to be practical. The bed was hard up against a velux window blind covering the only window and the tv was diminutive. The breakfast was good. The soundproofing in this house is poor. Altogether disappointing and not good value for money, and parking is very difficult in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor if possible, but we were not given any choice and the room was booked well in ad...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 27 January 2012

in henleaze close to shops and town /zoo /clifton, lovely breakfast and a warm welcome from pat.
Comfortable bed room just right temperature in room books to read must have been 10 times now/

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Warm welcome with a cup of tea in the comfortable lounge. Very good downstairs room with en suite with bath and separate shower. Television and comfortable chair welcome for when we got back in the evening. Excellent breakfast in the conservatory. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed two nights at Downlands House in their ground floor twin room with en suite bathroom. On arrival we were greeted by Nick who is a very pleasant, helpful man. Having welcomed us and given us the necessary info. Nick handed us our key and told us to come and go as we liked. Likewise with all the staff, they were helpful but not at all intrusive.

The room was nicely furnished and the beds had crisp, clean good quality linen (the first thing I always look at!). Facilities were adequate. The shower actually had some power to it. The hair drier, although the same good quality make that I have at home, didn't have a lot of heat to it - Health and Safety..? But here I am nit picking.

We loved the atmosphere in the conservatory dining room where soft classical music playing in the background. The outlook is beautiful onto a terrace with beautiful hanging baskets and planters which would be the envy of every Percy Thrower amongst us. Breakfast was good although on the second morning the fact that one wanted brown toast and the other white seemed a challenge and we both got white. Nit picking again.

Parking was an issue as on the Friday evening when we returned at 10 pm we had to park at the furthest end of the road. However, it is a very quiet, pleasant road and the houses in it very attractive and we felt quite safe walking back. Saturday evening we were luckier and got within 30 metres.

To sum up. The location is excellent. Downlands House is very attractive both externally and internally. The ambience is excellent, very warm and welcoming. We felt totally comfortable at all times and are sure we will return when next in Bristol.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AvieSurrey
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I stayed for one week and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. The wonderful welcome, peaceful atmosphere and friendliness of staff and visitors made me feel really at home - Excellent for couples - but also for those on a solo break away.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed 3 nights at Downlands House and really enjoyed it. The house is located in a quiet, green area, within easy reach from the centre with public transportation (however, I walked most of the time in order to enjoy Bristol's atmosphere). The breakfast is good and abundant. The house is lovely (a great attention has been paid to details) and extremely clean (having chosen a standard room I appreciated the perfect cleanliness of the shared bathroom). Patricia and Nick are helpful and friendly, they gave me useful advice before my arrival, kept my luggage while I travelled to London, and Nick answered my many questions about the city's history! I will definitely stay there if I I go back to Bristol.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo