“Love it”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Bristol
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I actually stayed here a while ago with my husband, but I doubt it has changed in the past few months.

We stayed in one of the rooms with the bath overlooking the bed on a mid height glass fronted Balcony/mezzanine (the temptation to leap off onto the mattress was overwhelming, but not being 10 years old, I eventually decided against this!) with a gorgeous and massive monsoon shower. Plenty of luxury cleaning liquids and creams that literally beg you to take them away (I mean that, it says it in the little book!)

The bed was large and comfy and all the furnishing are tasteful and of good quality. Again, in the book, it even lists where everything comes from, which I thought was a nice touch.

We had dinner in the restaurant (this is the 2nd time, as we have been for food before) which was very very good. But really, it is the spectacular bar that makes this place, and the fabulous bar staff who are friendly, accomodating and above all knowledgeable. I had partaken in the consumption of a lush champagne cocktail and the Birmingham hotel, and although they could not recreate it (mainly cos I could not remember the details), the Barman knocked me up a STUNNING cocktail with gin and champers and violet liqueur. Utterly gorgeous.

Would definately come back and have recommended it to everyone I know.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Good location and interesting building, nicely fitted out. But despite having a room booked for the night (with two young children) they could not offer a table at their restaurant until 10pm. And when we asked if we could have afternoon tea, we were told chef needed 24 hours' notice (we arrived at 5pm). Notification at the time of booking would have been helpful. Or even an email to warn us. At over £300 a night you kind of expect that. We ended going out for a cup of tea and then had (an average) meal in our rather dark and too hot room.
Staff were also unaware of what was going on in the City during the weekend, including the Bristol 10k the next morning -a big event with over 11,000 people taking part and involving extensive road closures, or what was happening at some of the museums.
This was our first time in a Hotel du Vin. For the cost and the average service it is likely to be our last.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2012

My dear friend booked this as a birthday surprise. We often visit the Hotel du Vin in Cheltenham and want to eventually visit them all. The hotel was lovely, the staff very friendly and helpful. Food exceptional. A very special mention to Tom, the night staff, he was such a help regarding parking (this is the only downfall - very limited parking) A Gold Star to Tom.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank maryGloucestershire
Reviewed 15 May 2012

buliding was very nice but shocked to find out there was no parking for hotel untill we got there & had to park in NCP car park over the road which cost us £15.
The maze like buliding was beauitful but very confusing to find room, we did ask to book a table for dinner but the only time they had was 9.45 pm so we ate out,I'd asked for a bottle of chilled wine to be put in room on arrival but had phone call to say bottle was outside, which was just a bottle of wine left on the floor no chiller & warm white wine.
The room really was lovely very light,airy & big. We soon found out though that it was very hot in there even with the very loud celling fan,when returning to our room there was a wedding on which was so loud we could hear every word the band was singing,(i understand its someones big day but it may of been nice for rectiption to mention that it may be loud)
So not a very nice night sleep with loud music & very hot room-
I would stay again at hotel du vin but not bristol.

Room Tip: Loft suites are way to hot.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The hotel is in a converted warehouse near the centre of town. It close to some attractions but they are not on the doorstep.

It is a bit of a rabbit warren but the rooms modern. We stayed in a third floor eaves room and I agree with the previous reviewer that the room was dark and hot at night. It could do with brighter lights to make it possible to read. The room had a comfortable king size bed with good quality sheets. The room had all the extras you need including a hair dryer, iron and tea and coffee and fresh milk in the minibar.

The bathroom was huge and had a great walk in shower as well as a free-standing roll-top bath as well as good quality toiletries.

The bar and restaurant are large and welcoming. We had a very good meal in the bistro which is well decorated and looks great in the candle light. The food was very good and the staff friendly and polite but there was a very long wait for our starters. There is a cold buffet at breakfast and the hot breakfast is cooked to order and of high quality.

We had a bed, breakfast and dinner rate and it was good value.

Room Tip: third floor eaves rooms are dark
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The Hotel Du Vin is an old warehouse that has been refurbished as a boutique hotel and it has the quirks that go with an old building. My room was on the 3rd floor which they called "under the eaves". It was very dark and even with all the lights on I had difficulty reading at the desk and in bed. It was also small - just enough room for the huge king size bed and so tight that I kept barking my shins on the very solid end of the bed. It was also very hot inside - I slept with the window open and it was still like a sauna - in April! On the plus side, it has character and the very functional wireless internet is free. Cooked breakfast was not included and was quite expensive but good. Overall it was okay for a night but the heat and especially the dark cave-like room would have driven me to another place if it had been an extended stay.

Room Tip: The king size bed takes up too much of the room. Maybe opt for a smaller bed if possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane E
Reviewed 3 April 2012

A lovely place to stay - good bedrooms and excellent food. One of the best breakfasts you will find. Also, great room rates for off peak including Sundays. I have known this particular HdV for a number of years and the service, which used to be excellent, has slipped to good. The service is less formal now (nothing wrong with that) but less efficient, especially when checking in/out.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple