“Lovely food and lovely staff”

The Old Queens Head
Ranked #33 of 253 Restaurants in High Wycombe
Cuisines: European, British, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our Little Gem is a delightful country pub & restaurant that's full of charm, character and plenty of friendly faces. All are welcome in our bar area - even the beloved pooch! (Our doggy biscuit jar may be of interest to said pooch...) We have a stylish but cosy, two level dining room, a relaxed and informal bar area with a roaring log fire for the chilly months - and our lovely garden and terrace overlooking the village church is the perfect spot for those warmer days when the sun comes out to play. Everything on our menus is freshly made in our kitchen, including our ice creams and tasty chutneys. Our dishes change in line with the seasons and are made using the best local produce that we can get our hands on. In fact - If you think your veggies are top of the crops, then bring them along...we accept them as currency! (We're totally serious - Please ask) We're what you might call a 'proper pub', serving a selection of great real ales and lagers, alongside premium spirits and a good range of soft drinks and organic juices. Our wine list is carefully sourced (that bit was fun) and features boutique wineries - producing an exciting and individual list with many wines served by the glass. Planning a party? If you need that perfect spot to get some business done away from the office, or if you have something special to celebrate, please give us a call! We'll take all the hard work off your hands. Nearby, there are great walks in the beech woodlands of Common and Penn Woods, perfect for a visit to walk off one of our indulgent puds, or that Sunday roast. Whatever the occasion, if you're looking for a lovely spot to eat great food and catch up with friends and family, we think The OQH is just the place... We look forward to welcoming you soon! Tina (General Manager)
Reviewed December 11, 2017

It's such a lovely building and you have the choice of casual or restaurant dining. The menu changes seasonally and the food is always beautifully prepared and tasty and the wine list has some lovely choices on there. I have always found the staff friendly and helpful and love visiting (not often enough). The bubble n squeak is my favourite for a lunch time one dish. It would be great if they could get more selection of craft ales in but I'm happy with the wine list!

1  Thank mrsdoubleyou

Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

I had a lamp Kofta which had no taste of anything never mind lamb. The lamb chops for main which were very basic. Very disappointing and very overpriced. The restaurant was quiet and I now know why. They send you an email for feedback I think to stop you putting public reviews out there.

Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

We were in area for a family funeral the next day and arrived at the pub mid evening and hungry! I chose the bubble n squeak alongside rooted veg and my husband the sausage n mash.
Both we really enjoyed every bite and we found it just right for that time of night.
The wines by the glass were also very good.
I couldn't believe it but all the background music could have been lifted from my favourite playlist! So I had the extra bonus of listening to Bowie & Paolo Nutini while we supped! Staff were friendly and pleasant and took great care of us. Keep up the great work. Hopefully we will return on a happier occasion next time!

Reviewed October 17, 2017

it was ok. while quiet: great service : while busier : he who shouts loudest gets serviced.Would I recommend? Its nothing to write home about considering cost, service and most importantly the food content and taste.Waitresses did their best but were solely lacking in numbers to provide an adequate service to the number of diners.

Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

Best roast I’ve had in ages
Drove past as we were lost so hadn’t booked had drink then decided to eat as well....great choice
Roast beef was great and pheasant was a dream
If your in the area definitely worth a visit

1  Thank jserhal