“Disappointed”

Helen Hotel
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Location wise this hotel was perfect as is only a couple of minutes walk from The Junction so no taxis required. However, our double room was incredibly small (more like a single with a double bed crammed in) and looked and smelled tired. Shower room had cracked floor tiles and cracks in the wash basin, and the shower had black mould around the door. We had asked for a room at the back to avoid road noise, and although we got it, we hadn't bargained for one in the rafters with a sloping ceiling, no fun when you are tall! Staff were pleasant and helpful and breakfast was good. Not sure was worth eighty five pounds a night.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank lindabelle66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nottingham
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stayed here for on lengthy reviews but feel this hotel deserves a detailed mention:

Location - On a main road, but a quiet, safe area near the railway station.Plenty of car parking places. Bit of a walk into the centre, but a regular bus service.

Room - large ensuite room with modern attractive furniture.Excellent range of room facilities including wardrobe,chest, bedside tables,good lighting, tea & coffee making, safe, hair dryer, flat screen TV, settee, full-length mirror, telephone, secure door lock, spare bedding, mobile fan, comfortable bed, power shower (over bath), free toileteries. Only criticism was the towels - if you want a large bath towel bring your own!

Breakfast - good service, plenty of choice (fruit, ceral, fruit juice, toast, croissants, full cooked breakfast (buffet))

Service - welcoming & friendly. Room was available at 11.00am despite being occupied the previous night.

Price - Paid £68 for 1 night B&B. A bit more than chain hotels, but well worth it for the quality of the room, facilities etc.

Overall - would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PantherfanNottingham
Harpenden
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I have stayed in a number of guest houses / hotels in Cambridge over the years and this is probably one of the better ones that I have found. I was only staying for one night to see friends so just wanted somewhere near their house and fairly central if I needed to walk back from the City. There will be other hotels in the centre but this is convenient for the bus route and train station and (as I drove) was very easy to find off the A1307 / M11 junction. Bed was very comfortable, really nice en-suite (small but very clean and new) and there were tea and coffee making facilities if you wanted them. Breakfast was a buffet style and really nicely cooked with cereals and fresh juice / yoghurts / fruit also on offer with hot drinks and toast. So all - in -all for what I paid for the room (£68 single occupancy of double room) I was happy with what I got.

Only down side (and I am being a bit picky here) there was nowhere obvious to lock my bike (and I wasn't directed to anywhere / asked if I needed to......can't always remember to ask for these things. Also, it would have been nice to have been asked if everything was alright with my stay - which it was - and could have given some nice feedback on the spot - all a bit "functional" at check-in / check out - no offer to show the rooms / carry bags etc. Which I probably wouldn't have needed- but again it's the "little touches" that make all the difference.

Staff in the restaurant are really efficient and friendly / courteous at Breakfast time and it was a nice airy room with plenty of room.

All in all a good value accommodation.

Room Tip: If you are tall (like me) then I think it was worth paying a bit more for a single occupancy double...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
travelling
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The Helen Hotel would not provide laundry service during my stay and instead I had to walk a VERY long way to the nearest laundromat (there is none near the hotel). I have very few concerns with a hotel - can even deal with thin walls - but one thing that I would expect is a laundry service. Most travellers need clothes to wear!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed one night in the Helen Hotel on a 're-scheduled' sight seeing trip to Cambridge (long story!). We were made to feel welcome on arrival, and when we mentioned that we were sight seeing the hotel provided us with a good street map of Cambridge and also useful bus information.

We had a room at the back which was quiet and reasonably sized... We're light sleepers, and the only issue we had was that sound travels in this hotel - doors being opened and shut, light switches being operated, creaky floor boards... but that's my only criticism and if you're not such a light sleeper then you'll probably not be worried by that.

Overall, I think the Helen Hotel offers good value for money. There is no problem parking there, staff are friendly and facilities are generally good. Breakfast was a little early 7.30 - 9.00 on the Saturday morning, and it was about 9.45 before we realised this! But the hotel were very accommodating and were still able to provide a continental breakfast...

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank warwicks_1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed two nights in a room at the front of the hotel, It was very noisy with traffic all day and night. If you book ask for a room nearer the rear if you are a light sleeper. It a bit dated . Beds very hard but to offset all of the negatives the breakfast was really good and you help yourself. As well as the free parking there is a lovely garden that you can sit in. The reception and dining staff are really great. Nice stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank salsagal50
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

A colleague and I visited this hotel for one night in July and were very impressed.

The receptionists were very friendly and helpful. We both had single rooms and although my room was small, it wasn't too tiny - and the bathroom was sizeable compared to other small rooms I have stayed in. Definitely no feelings of claustrophobia!

The decor was very plush and the bed very comfortable. Nice touches like tea and coffee in the room and free toiletries also added to the plus points.

The breakfast was fantastic for a small hotel - a big selection of cooked, pastries, cereal and condiments. The waitresses brought you juice and fresh tea/coffee on request.

Parking was available at the hotel and the receptionists allowed us to leave the car there all day on the day we checked out, although I can't guarantee this would be the case if the hotel was busier on the night we stayed.

The only downsides I had were that it was very hot in the room, and there were some parts which could have been repaired - my shower head holder had come loose and a shelf was coming away from the wall. It would be better if the rooms were more regularly maintained as these problems would be easily fixed.

Overall, a very happy stay - I'd go there again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business