“admin and customer service leave a lot to be desired”
Review of Hotel Felix

Hotel Felix
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Checked in early due to distance, left a message at reception so that my guests would know where I was. My sister checked in an hour later was given my room and had no knowledge of where I was. We had to message ech other. Apparently I was in my room ( which had not been allocated ) and my sister and niece were given my room key. No message relayed, not a good start but changed rooms so decided to check out cambrige.heavy heavy rain so decided to return for coffee before our booked evening meal. The whole reception areas were fully booked for afternoon tea. No where to have a coffee, other than 3 chairs in a corridor. Not happy. When the rain stopped they offered us outside seating which they wiped down. They were still damp.the rooms are average,and I was disturbed when just after entering my no allocated room with my guests ( like two minutes really) someone came into my room to check the mini bar. No knocking jyst enetered . Just arriving and with my sister and niece I found this intrusive and intimidating with no knocking. He told me I should have put the do not disturb sign on the door, like I have learning difficulties. I had only been in the room for a few minutes!

When we checked out they gave us the wrong receipt bill with other people's detils on,god knows who have ours. We returned immediately and were told they had put the wrong receipt and bill together. If it wasn't for the evening Meal I would classify this as faulty towers. As a customer services trainer there is an acceptable bar, if it had been busy, busy I could have tolerated some of it. It wasn't. When we booked we had reasonable expectations,unfortunately they were not met. If it wasn't for the evening meal and the dining room staff !!
What a total let down . My sister had booked thi foe me as a special birthday surprise. My sister , my niece, and me . Should have been special if not perfect.

Room Tip: Just above budget
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Alison H, Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Thank you for your review. I believe both our Deputy Manager and General Manager have both been in touch and addressed your concerns directly.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,245)

Reviewed 8 September 2017

I had snacks and coffee here, which were fine.

I had previously tried to book for the night. The receptionist, whom I was told is called is called Erica, told me in a sneering tone that I was making the booking the wrong way and should call another number. When I asked to speak to the "manager on duty", she told me I didn't want the "general manager" (whom I didn't ask for), but the "duty manager" (whom I had asked for, in the term "manager on duty").

If she thinks "manager on duty" means general manager rather then duty manager, Erica should brush up her English. In the context that she works in the hospitality industry, she might like to consider whether her present tone of voice is suitable for speaking to customers. Given the paucity of her English language skills, she may like to consider whether it's appropriate for her to correct native speakers' use of English.

Far from being boutique, hotel Felix is the kind of place that can't be bothered to recruit staff, who are prepared to be even moderately courteous to their customers.

I'm asked to comment on the type of hotel. I'd call it expensive, but not luxurious. I'd also call it grossly over-priced to be sneered at by the receptionist.

I'd call it snotty-nosed and stuck up, without real quality.

Feedback for the hotel. If you want people to use a different telephone number to book, put it on the website. Do not give your sub-standard staff an excuse to criticise your customers.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Alison H, Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you had a negative experience with us. The matter is now being dealt with by our General Manager.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

The reason to book was that the hotel was described as dogfriendly. That s really true and our dog received a nice welcome present. The house and the public area is very nice and we enjoyed to stay over there. The beds are very comfortable and enough parking for free. But these are the only positive aspects. The rooms and baths needs a renovation urgently. The rooms and baths are much to dark. There is no AC in the rooms and in the restaurant it s to cold because the temperature of the AC was to low. I had to ask 3 times before it s changed. The breakfast is very poor. Only toast, jam and some cereals. Everything else like cheese or eggs you have to pay for, something like this I havn t seen before and I travel a lot. The rate for a room and everything is much to expensive in relation to the quality you get and find on site. The lunch was okay but also to expensive in relation to the result and taste of the meal. The stuff needs to be trained to be more friendly and doing their job in a more professional way.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Alison H, Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Thank you very much for your review. I'm glad you appreciated the fact that the hotel is dog friendly and your furry friend enjoyed his treat on arrival. I am however sorry you were disappointed with your room. We are in the process of refurbishing some bathrooms and this will be done in due course. Unfortunately there isn't air conditioning in all of the bedrooms and I am sorry that you felt that the restaurant was too cold. Our continental breakfast offers a wide choice of cereals, toast, fruit, yoghurt, nuts, seeds and pastries. A cooked breakfast is available but is charged unless it is included in the room rate.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

We were in the U.K on a girl's trip and spent 3 nights at this hotel at the recommendation of a local person.

The hotel is beautiful, well laid out, nice grounds, kept quite clean. We had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the side driveway. The room was quite spacious with 2 double beds, a nice wardrobe and a good size bathroom. The sleep quality was good since it is very quiet.

The breakfast served in the restaurant was included in our room rate. It was a nice meal with made to order entrees and a continental buffet setup with breads, juices and fruit. The hotel has a nice bar and beautiful outdoor seating on good weather days.

We had some issues at checkout with our room rates and charges, which were not satisfactorily resolved. I had to communicate with the front desk manager after our return to sort things out and straighten out the additional charges.

The hotel is a bit far from the main area of Cambridge so one either needs a car or cab it to the hotel which is approx GBP 10.00 one way. I highly recommend this hotel if you want to experience an English Inn rather than a chain hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms overlooking the gardens/side yard
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you had a great stay with us. It is also great to hear you appreciated the well-equipped room, good breakfast and pretty gardens. I am sorry you had a couple of issues regarding checking out but am glad they were resolved. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Easy to find,
Got a room upgrade because we had booked via their own website.
We found the staff on reception polite and very helpful with any questions we had
The room was a good size, clean, and well maintained. The shower was very powerful, with never-ending hot water.
The service at breakfast was a little hap-hazard, but we got what we wanted eventually. They only offer basic tea and coffee at breakfast....they need get with the times and buy a coffee machine that can do different coffees at the touch of a button.
We did eat in the restaurant one night and the food was very good and not overpriced.
We really enjoyed our stay and would stay again if visiting the area.

Room Tip: Book direct for a room upgrade if available
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the well-equipped bedroom and good food. We do serve a variety of speciality coffees but they have to be ordered at breakfast and are charged. It is only tea and filter coffee that are included in the B&B rate. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Visit hotel felix 6/09/17 1 night manager rude as I complained about cold breakfast and the food was not up to standard left in morning with no breakfast won't be staying again after waiting for breakfast as not buffet still cold as well as toast concerns were not dealt with

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry you felt the night porter was rude to you and your 'toast' concerns were not addressed. I will of course flag your issue with the Deputy Manager.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

we reserved the penthouse room for our stay and were not dissapointed by the room although quite expensive. room was spacious, good quality bed, spacious bathroom.
shower is a bit akward and not up to the latest standards, but ok.
very poor in replenishment of bathroom amenities ( one set for 2 people for a stay of 3 nights ?). breakfast buffet ( continental) is very poor. not even eggs are offered. everything is surpus. when you pay over 280 pounds a night for a room, one might expect much better
during the first night we had quite some noice from a function in the rooms below; but as the hotel is an old house, that's probably normal
the hotel is quite a distance from the center, too far to walk. count on a taxi between 8 and 10 pounds each time you wish to make a trip to the center.

Room Tip: take a room on the backside of the hotel
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted to hear that you appreciated the Penthouse but am disappointed you felt that your shower wasn't up to scratch. We do have plans to refurbish some of the bathrooms, although this is an on-going process. Full English breakfast is available when you book certain rates, but unfortunately your rate only included continental breakfast. Our continental breakfast includes a good variety of cereals, fruit, nuts and seeds, yoghurt, toast and pastries, so I'm disappointed that it failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. The hotel is located approximately 1 mile from the city centre. Many guests enjoy walking into town or alternatively you can catch the bus which leaves every 10 minutes from the stop directly outside the hotel on Huntingdon Road.