1,344 results
All reviews graffiti restaurant white company lovely hotel junior suite underfloor heating city centre mini bar fresh milk bath and shower continental breakfast reception staff full english quiet location the ground floor enjoyable stay plenty of parking free parking
Reviewed September 24, 2017

Perhaps we were just unlucky, or we timed it badly, but a recent lunch at the Felix turned out to be one of the most unusual eating experiences had for some time.

We were here for Saturday lunch with a few friends... there was a wedding on as well but it wasn't that large, so surely the restaurant crew could cope?

Seemingly not. It took ages and lots of prompts from us to get some attention from waiting people. When they did come, they took orders for food from one or two of us and then disappeared. Drinks ordered didn't appear until we prompted several times.
It took the best part of an hour to get the food orders established. We asked for drinks to be renewed but it was a big effort.

Then the food turned up. In batches. People who just ordered mains were served them before we got our starters. And then when our mains turned up there were no accompaniments - no vegetables or potatoes. Just a tiny slab of salmon in the middle of a big plate. Two bites and that was it.

We made the mistake of asking for desserts and cheese. Again, this took a lot of effort to order and a lot of time to deliver. Coffee came before desserts.

All in all, a very sub-optimum experience.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Alison H, Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2017

Thank you very much for your review. I am very disappointed to hear that your dining experience with us did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I believe the poor service was down to the fact that there was a also a wedding taking place at the same time, although we appreciate that this is not an excuse. All staff are more than aware of how to serve correctly and adhere to timings so I am surprised that this didn't happen and you felt that service was haphazard. All I can do is apologise most sincerely for your experience and advise our General Manager of your comments.

Reviewed September 22, 2017

I have not been to the Felix for a while, but had coffee and a croissant here this morning in the beautiful sunshine of the Orangery, with orange plants. The best surprise was seeing owners and their beautiful dogs eating in the restaurant. I am not a dog owner but appreciate good dogs, two were Dalmatians :-) I must visit again soon. Good coffee and croissants.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Alison H, Manager at Hotel Felix, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2017

Thank you very much for your review. We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed coffee and croissants in our bright, airy Orangery and liked seeing the dogs enjoying theirs too. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed September 17, 2017

From start to finish my experience was dreadful. From confusion at Reception to porters barging in the room without knocking.
The room seemed corporate and not at all like I expected, it felt dismal with a predominately brown and grey colour scheme
There was nowhere for us to sit to have coffee after lunch as afternoon tea was being served and all the tables were set. The the only option given was a table directly outside the tea room which had absolutely no atmosphere and seemed to be placed in a particularly dark area
The evening meal however was excellent , car parking was also very good
Throughout the weekend I didn't feel like a valued customer at this hotel, certainly not the four star experience I had hoped for and wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. I am aware that the Porter barged in to your room and for that we apologise profusely. I believe you were sat in the Lobby for lunch because there was a large event taking place in Graffiti which was unfortunate. I am however glad you enjoyed your dinner in Graffiti and appreciated the free car parking (a real luxury in Cambridge).

Reviewed September 17, 2017

The hotel's nice facade is hidden behind trees that have grown around the property so don't expect to see the picture of the frontage as shown above. Arriving at the side or back, the rooms in the first floor annex are clean, well serviced and corridors are well kept. Reception was friendly and the punting, dinner and breakfast package was a good idea. The punting went off without a hitch and the room was fine albeit the walls are paper thin to the point where I could hear the blinds next door being rolled during the day and a 'very' romantic interlude being conducted at about 01.00am! Sadly next door.
The big disappointment was dinner. The Table D'hote dinner menu (read lunch menu) was to be supplemented at an extra charge if you wanted potatoes, or vegetables, or anything else; you get the picture. You can choose from the A La Carte menu for an additional cost (steak and extra £8) and when you do, one would expect a AA Two Rosette chef to be able to make the food to look and taste good. A withered piece of tough meat with fried potato was returned by my wife and I ate alone until hers was recooked. Then she ate alone. My Quail was unspectacular. To desert. My wife's "chocolate ganache with raspberry sorbet and frozen white chocolate pieces" miraculously arrived as chocolate ganache with runny coulis and grey and white MERINGUE instead of chocolate pieces and my "Mahón, Semi Hard Sheeps’ Milk Cheese from Menorca, Honey and Charcoal Biscuits" revealed itself as cold, very hard cheese with fruit chutney and a mixture of biscuits". During dinner and breakfast the next morning I overheard at least two other guests sending back food that arrived which was different to that as shown on the menu. At 'breakfast' you could order a cooked breakfast in additional to cereals and fruit......at a supplementary cost. Don't order poached eggs, I'll leave it there. At least they had the good sense not to charge for any supplements after the cooking disaster so I didn't have to argue at checkout, but one would assume that menus had been tried and tested; or as my title asks, "Was the AA two rosette chef on holiday" ?

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to hear that you appreciated the well serviced rooms, clean corridors and friendly reception staff. We are however disappointed that dinner didn't meet your expectations and you were frustrated by having to order additional dishes. Following your comments, I am aware that the Deputy Manager removed all supplementary charges from your bill as well as the service charge.

Reviewed September 15, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of August. I grew up in Cambridge and like to visit once a year .
This was the first time to stay at Hotel Felix but will not be our last. The staff are all absolutely lovely. They were professional but kind and friendly at all times.
The room was beautiful with comfy bed, big bathroom and all mod cons .
The breakfast was delicious and very varied. They even had their own homemade granola.
The hotel is slightly far out to walk both ways so we walked into the centre but taxis back ( 10£).
I am not mad keen on dogs in hotels to be honest but no evidence of doggy smells or dog waste at all!
A big thank you to all the staff for a great stay!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our friendly and professional staff. it's also great to hear that you liked your bedroom with the Hypnos bed and big, well equipped bathroom. I will also pass on your comments to the chef about his homemade granola and our tasty varied breakfast. We are proud of the fact that we are doggy friendly but we do make sure that our four legged friends don't infringe on the stays of guests who are not fans. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.