“Hilarious Comedy!! One bartender let the team down.”
Review of Alexander's Live

Alexander's Live
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexander's Live is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 567 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$5 - US$27
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: WELCOME TO ALEXANDER’S FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA FOR FULL LISTINGS OF LIVE MUSIC EVENTS, OPEN MIC, COMEDY GIGS, POPUPS, MENUS AND BOOKINGS. ALSO HEAR OUR GIG GUIDE ON DEE RADIO EVERY DAY. Here we are; in the heart of the city alongside the stunning Roman walls near the Cathedral. We’re open all week with a fabulous bar, live music and an imaginative menu. OUR OFFER **BAR**COURTYARD**GARDEN**ALFRESCO DINING** **TICKETED EVENTS**LIVE MUSIC **COMEDY NIGHTS** **COFFEES**TEAS**CAKES**DAILY LUNCHTIME AND EVENING MENUS** **SATURDAY AFTERNOON TEAS AND SUNDAY ROASTS WITH FREE LIVE MUSIC** **POPUP EVENTS**VEGAN MENU**GIN/WINE/BEER TASTING **WEDDINGS**PRIVATE HIRE** **GARDEN FESTIVALS**COURTYARD GIGS** A huge range of music from every genre with a professionally run sound and lighting system ensuring you get the best possible experience. We are proud to promote local talent and work closely with local music groups. We host Chester’s longest running Comedy night and Open Mic night as well as theatre, burlesque, poetry, 20s dance and more… we seriously want you to have fun … Join us during the day for lunches snacks cakes Jaunty Goat coffee, teas and a selection of food from the daytime menu. If you need a quick lunch or working lunch please let us know. SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS DAYTIME We offer live music from our resident acts alongside food from our menu including a Saturday afternoon tea and Sunday roast. POPUP EVENTS Events include: vegan/vegetarian menu evenings with music, specialist wine, gin, whisky and beer tasting evenings and much more. WEDDINGS Why not come to us for all your requirements including the main marriage ceremony in the stunning courtyard or inside the venue. FESTIVALS The festivals include live music, food and outside bar running from noon till midnight. The format for these varies and typically involves; the big outdoor stage, the intimate indoor stage and the courtyard stage with many acts over the day. COURTYARD GIGS Running throughout the year, there is live music and food alongside the usual indoor bar. PRIVATE HIRE Let us know what your needs are as we can offer a wide range of options both inside and outside for both private and business events. OPENING TIMES: Mon – Sat: 12am till Late. Sunday: 12 noon till 8pm* Parking is available nearby at the new Delamere St carpark (no entry after 9pm but can exit), at St Anne’s St (24hr) or Garden Lane (24hr) – charges may apply *Opening times vary, depending on gigs, festivals and private hire.
Reviewed 14 January 2017

A group of us went to watch the Friday night comedy acts at Alexander's. It was fantastic and I would highly recommend going ASAP! I laughed myself to tears countless times! The staff were lovely too, kindly helping out with providing extra chairs etc.

Unfortunately, the good bar staff were let down by one member in particular. As I patiently waited to be served at a very quiet bar (for a Friday night) he failed to acknowledge me and served a guy who just arrived next to me. Fair enough, I thought, we all make mistakes. He then, however, continued to serve another customer who arrived after myself. At this point I politely told the bartender that I had arrived first and had been waiting for over 5 minutes to be served. He simply told me I was wrong.

It doesn't take an expert to know that the correct approach to take at this instance would be to sincerely apologise. There is a ton of competition in Chester, and with service like that, Alexander's isn't cutting it.

2  Thank trinalayland
There are newer reviews for Alexander's Live

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

A very pleasant afternoon and the acoustic duo singing Christmas songs were great.
Drinks were reasonable and staff friendly - there was a nice atmosphere. I have to admit I didn't use the toilets which I saw a poor comment about;
My only issue was the children. Great to have families there enjoying the festive spirit but that was where my enthusiasm ends.
At the end of the day this was a bar serving alcohol to adults, not a youth club. When we arrived children were running all around the place and we opted to sit at the bar just to get away from them. They were using the mezzanine area as a rat run. At one point two of hte children sat themselves on high stools near the bar where their parents couldn't even see them.
Fair enough, high spirits - it's Christmas Eve and it wasn't packed out. But parents were totally engaged chatting with each other and not regulating their behaviour or really even paying any attention - not to mention hogging all the spaces at the front and then leaving it half empty.
Eventually the young ones settled down and we moved closer to the act on the mezzanine part. The last straw was when I came to put my coat on to go. I hadn't even started fastening it up when a child simply came and walked off with my stool. I would have been a bit miffed if an adult had done that without so much as a 'would you mind?' I could have just been popping out for a smoke!!
I enjoyed the music and wouldn't mind coming again next year - maybe even bring some more grown ups.
But come on Alexanders. By all means make families welcome to this festive event but please take some responsibility yourselves and remind those with young children it isnt day care. This is an adult bar where people come to enjoy a drink. They don't want it spoiled by kids using the place as a race track!!!

1  Thank TBN2013
caroline n, Owner at Alexander's Live, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We are new owners of just over a year and one of the first things we did to the place was to replace the toilets so you can ignore any comments made from before we bought the venue.
You may prefer one of the ticketed evenings when no children are allowed in and not an afternoon when family's do occasionally visit.
We wish you a happy new year and hope to see you again in 2017. Carone.

Reviewed 21 December 2016

We've always loved this place, so much that we chose it for our reception venue. It is perfectly located in the city centre to show off all of Chester's heritage, but tucked away a little to make it a little more secluded and intimate. To be able to use the courtyard and the back garden as well as the bar area and dance floor meant that it catered for everyone's taste. The organisation on the day from set up to food was second to none - the staff did everything they could to make the day special and were very accommodating. They chose the band for us too ("It's Soul Good") who were amazing. Couldn't fault them one bit - we will be back for an anniversary party sometime in the future!!

How lovely of you to write a review and so happy that we were a small part of your special day. Thank you. Caroline

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

A surprise for my 'the beatles' loving boyfriend! A great little venue for live music. Dance floor surrounded by tables, option for food pre-gig. Fantastic beer selection! Good decor. Great atmosphere!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the evening and thank you for taking the time to write a review. Caroline

Reviewed 2 December 2016

Booked to see Gordon Haskell with dinner. The meal was a Xmas dinner with prawn cocktail to start turkey main and Xmas pud to follow, the food was well cooked and very well presented. £15 for a bottle of wine(not bad). The staff were very polite and helpful. The show was excellent, first on was a trio can't remember there name but they were very good you could see the passion they had for their music and all we excellent musicians, you could see that they were enjoying themselves. But we went to see Gordon Haskell and he was fantastic. Overall a wonderful evening in a wonderful venue as it felt like a 60s evening brought right up to date. If you every get a chance to go there I'm sure your evening will be as good as ours

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and so glad you enjoyed your evening with us. Caroline