“dirty and grimy!”
Review of Belgrave Hotel

Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 21 May 2012

felt like you were stuck in a time warp, the shower door wouldn't shut and the plastic was falling out. It was noisy at night with very thin walls. the only good point was the location very close to chester train station but other than that it was a terrible stay and the pillows had stains on them. Completely disgusted by this "hotel" it felt and smelt more like a 1960's hostel!!! Wasn't worth the money when there's a premier inn down the road! Plus we were made to feel guilty by staff for not having our breakfast at the hotel!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

It is a very old building and all the walls have been there for well over 20 years. All the rooms are cleaned daily and are inspected on a regular basis.

I think there has been a mis-understansing with regards to breakfast. You asked the receptionist where you could get some breakfast and she replied that you can have breakfast in the hotel if you want. She was only informing you that even thought you book room only you can still have breakfast in the hotel. As some guest do not realise this.

There are newer reviews for Belgrave Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I went to Chester for the weekend with 11 friends and wasnt supposed to be staying here. Was booked in to the Eaton Hotel (or so we thought) but they had messed up on the bookings so they managed to get 6 of us into the Belgrave.

We had a couple of small rooms in the attic (no's 36 & 37) which were clean, although a little dated. Beds were comfy although the shower only had cold water but certainly wasnt going to complain as we had managed to find somewhere to stay at very short notice.

The staff were great and more than happy to help us. The breakfast was really good and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted.

Its close to the railway station (probably 100 yards) and only a short walk to the centre.

Its a decent place to stay and wouldnt hesitate to go back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your lovely review, I hope that you all enjoyed your time in Chester and would love to see you again if your ever in Chester in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here on 21st April 2012 with my daughters, granddaughter and friends. We chose the hotel for it's location and it's price. What a find! Such good value! The rooms are dated but scrupulously clean and functional. The brealfast was plentiful and delicious and the price was exellent. What makes this hotel even better though is the amazing staff. They are, without exception, some of the nicest people you could wish to meet, particularly the proprietor. I would definately stay here again without a shadow of doubt! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mumvisitsunidaughter
Reviewed 5 March 2012

What an amazing, fantastic place! Six of us stayed at the Belgrave last November for the first time. We chose it mainly because of the price and the fact that it is just 2mins from the train station and 10 mins walk into town. However, we were blown away by the care and attention given to us by the staff together with the cleanliness and quality of the breakfast. That was nothing!
26 of us have just returned from my sister's hen weekend. We found out that Mrs Sharma (an incredibly talented and lovely lady!) teaches Indian dance at the hotel and we arranged for her to do a Bollywood session for us on the Saturday evening. It was amazing! We had such good fun! After that the hotel laid on an Indian banquet for us. That was just stunning. The food was so much better than your average take-away. You could tell that the ingredients were of the highest quality and the food was freshly cooked for us. After that we had a disco and Karaoke, all laid on by the hotel.
We all dressed in Saris and had our hands tattooed with henna and Mr Sharma said that it was like being at an Indian wedding! I would thoroughly recommend this as a really unusual but extremely fun hen weekend or special birthday celebration.
On the Sunday we had a bus tour in a vintage bus (Chester City Vintage Bus Tours) before having lunch and returning in the afternoon.
From the moment we arrived on the Friday evening until we left on Sunday afternoon the staff were on hand to make sure that we had absolutely everything that we wanted. The bar prices were excellent (no need for drinks in your room!) and I honestly couldn't think of a single thing that could have made the experience even more enjoyable. Even the weather was good!
The Belgrave is not a 5* hotel but it certainly offers 5* service. I truly cannot speak highly enough about this amazing home from home. We will certainly be going back (if they'll have us!).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lynnmorgan
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My expectations for a visit to the Belgrave Hotel were significantly exceeded. I chose the hotel purely on location and price, but was really impressed with the service I received whilst there. I had to leave the hotel no later than 8am on a Saturday morning, so thought I wouldn’t be able to have breakfast, but the manager told me they’d arrange it 30 minutes early for me. They then organised the full cooked buffet for me, and it was good quality food too.

The location is ideal – near the station, yet there is no issue with rail or road noise. My room was fairly small, but it was clean and far better than many rooms I’ve stayed in for such a price.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us, and we are glad you enjoyed your breakfast. We always try are best to accommodate residence needs.

Reviewed 1 December 2011

Excellent Hotel , I & my Team stayed here for about 3-4 months. Mr Sharma the owner of the Hotel is a real Gem of a person, he personally ensures that guests are taken care of. Beautifully and neatly appointed rooms, excellent.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Arun1211
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Thank you for staying with us and hope see you again.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

Fantastic location, 2 mins from train station. Hotel is lovely. Decor is a bit dated, but everything is clean and rooms are comfortable. Breakfast is fresh, appetising and excellent value. Absolutely no need to look for alternative! Staff are lovely - nothihg is too much trouble. Fab place. Would most definitely stay there again. (In fact,, my sister has decided that she would like to go back there for hen night next March). Fab place, fab people, fab food. Thanks so much!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lynnmorgan

We are all very happy to know that you had a nice time with us.Thank for beaing with us .Hope to see a you soon.

Thanks