“Excellent stay at the Grosvenor Pulford” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay at the Grosvenor Pulford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed on a zoo package deal with out 3 yr old daughter. Excellent value for money at £155 for dinner bed and breakfast and 3 zoo tickets!
There was no faulting this hotel, its staff and the experience overall - everything was excellent.
From arriving the staff were so friendly and welcoming. the spa is gorgeous in and outdoors to the Japanese gardens, the restaurant for the evening meal was outstanding. The food was great and very well presented, all served with a smile.
rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious. Breakfast had an extensive selection and all served by extremely pleasant staff throughout.

Room Tip: if you only want a standard double - the most spacious of them all is room 56! easily fitted a trave...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Had an enjoyable night stayand wonderful food in the Nelson's bar.

Norwich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I hate writing negative reviews, and always also hate reading them! Although sad to say that since I last went to the spa back in 2011, the latest experience wasn't that good.

Last year, we had a brilliant Hamman and Rasul, along with usage of the various relaxation and change rooms. It was that good, we bought vouchers for our family to check out, and they enjoyed it too.

This time not so good. First indications was upon arrival. Even though we arrived early, there was an unprepared air to proceedings. Next, there was the removal of footwear, in the main throughway area. We "get this", but starting with the 1st stage of undressing, of shoes and socks, in full view of other guests, staff, management and what seemed to be about 20 people was very odd. Indeed, whilst we respected the "quiet, low noise" to maintain the calm spa feeling, the 20 other people were certaintly not. It was everything from deliveries, to cleaners, to wedding organisers, to guest wanting to purchase products. My wife and I were sat there, sans shoes and socks, in the hullabaloo. Lovely.

Next, I was taken straight to my treatment room. Slightly dissappointed, as last time I went to the changing rooms downstairs, which are lovely and had a shower. I needed one this time too, but marched straight into the room and instructed to go onto the table. I half thought about using the shower in the room, though it wasn't offered, and I was conscious that the lady was already 5-10mins late and it would just eat more into my time. I'd turned up early just to shower and relax - not happy and not a good start!!

So, I went for the Maharaja, which is a Thai herbal compress massage, followed by Hot Oil massage. It was rubbish. Now I must say first, my expectations are always low when it comes to massages. 90% of places I go to in the UK haven't a clue how to massage, and it's only the authentic Thai massage places, with people who've had proper training, are any good. But, the Turkish massage I'd had previously here was actually ok, and I has slightly better hopes. Nope, totally wrong. Unfortunately the lady didn't have the strength or technique to have any effect. I was thinking the whole time, that my wife would probably enjoy it, as it was very gentle and calm ... (totally the opposite of what a Thai massage is about!), but for me, and I guess most men in general, a waste of time.

One of the reasons for booking this particular treatment, was due to the period being 90mins. I often find 60mins is far too short. Well, I was out after about 50mins! I had no idea of the time. It wasn't until I realised my wife was still in her 55min facial (when I couldn't find her outside) that I realised how short I'd been in there for. Not happy.

Now, at £90, this was over double the price of a normal massage. It was rubbish, lasted nearly half of what it should, and to top it off, I had to sit in reception putting my shoes and socks back on in front of yet another crowd of people.

We cancelled our evening table in Ciro's and went to Chester instead.

I must add that my wife had one of the best facials, so not all bad.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JZV
NelsonNW, Sales & Marketing Director at Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
It was with great disappointment and surprise that we read your review. Firstly may we apologise that your most recent experience at Spa by Kasia was not to the usual high standards. As you will know from your previous visit, we normally pride ourselves on the highest level of customer service and make every effort to ensure that our customers have the most excellent and relaxing experience with us.

We feel that it is rather unjust to make a sweeping generalisation that the spa has gone downhill when your unfortunate experience was merely a result of the idleness and disrespectful attitude to the Spa standards that one therapist has shown. The therapist in question has greatly let us down and although we realise and accept that it is our responsibility to ensure that all therapists maintain the highest of standards when working for us, which we clearly set out to all therapists from the outset, unfortunately we cannot anticipate them choosing to act against our standards and cannot always control or even be aware of what they do once the treatment room door is closed. This is why we deem it very important to receive such feedback from our guests, preferably at the time of their visit, so that we can act upon any such issues accordingly. We can assure you that our Spa has not gone downhill; as the feedback from your wife goes to prove when you mention that her facial was 'one of the best'. The therapist responsible for not complying to work to the exceptionally high standards we set has been reprimanded accordingly as we do take this matter very seriously and will not tolerate any lapse in our usual high standards. We regret that you felt the need to generalise the spa as a whole in a most negative manner when we have, with the exception of one member, a fabulous team with incredible passion for their work and great pride in their ability to provide the upmost customer satisfaction.

May we also take this opportunity to point out that extended use of the spa facilities and changing rooms are only available when booking a spa day with us, as you had only booked an individual treatment with us on your most recent visit unfortunately this does not include use of the spa facilities, hence why you were taken straight to your treatment room and not the changing area. As you are aware, after we read your review on Trip Advisor we did contact you personally to apologise for your unacceptable, and out of the ordinary, experience and we were delighted to hear that you will be returning to experience our usual high standards. We look forward to welcoming you back to Spa by Kasia.

Kind regards,

Amy Nelson
Spa Director
Stockport, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We spent a very enjoyable stay in a Deluxe room (No: 40), which had a spiral staircase leading from a small sitting room, the windows of which overlooked the courtyard of Ciro’s restaurant, up to a very pleasant en-suite bedroom which had views over the Japanese garden to the surrounding countryside.

During the afternoon, we used the pool, steam-room, sauna and Jacuzzi, then relaxed on very comfortable loungers by the pool, reading from a selection of magazines thoughtfully provided by the hotel.

Dinner at Ciro’s was excellent in quality and decent value for money – 3 courses including wine came to around £80, with excellent starters (ham hock terrine for my wife and seared scallops, beautifully cooked for me, followed by pork medallions and chump of lamb respectively.) Unfortunately the Peach Melba was unavailable but we shared an enterprising selection of cheeses to finish. The standard of both food and service was exceptional and all the staff we encountered seemed to have a really positive customer-facing ethic which manifested itself in a courteous and friendly response to every request. Literally, “Service With a Smile”.

The hotel is clearly a popular venue for weddings (there is a church just across the road) and despite our stay covering a Thursday and Friday, their dedicated function suite seemed to be busy on both days. Our room did not suffer from any intrusive sounds from the function areas, although we became aware that one unlucky guest managed to get locked out of a nearby room at 4.00 in the morning; I hope he got a decent night’s sleep thereafter.

We would cheerfully return to this hotel which is an excellent base from which to visit Chester, using the useful bus service (No: 1 - from Chester Rail station to Wrexham Station).

Room Tip: Some deluxe rooms have a spiral staircase - avoid if you have difficulty climbing.
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I've rated hotels on here before and never given an excellent rating but on this occasion, this hotel and the excellent staff deserved it. I echo all the other positive things that people have said on here.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Celebrated my wedding at the Grosvenor last Thursday and stayed 2 nights. The hotel staff were excellent from the wedding co-ordinator Natalie, hotel staff Maurice, Alistair and man with American accent (sorry forgot his name). Nothing was too much trouble and the attention to detail was excellent. I had a treatment in the spa which was lovely and the meal in Ciro's was first class. Every one of my guests commented on how lovely the hotel was and how perfect the day went. Gorgeous surroundings for photographs, lovely staff and gorgeous food. Highly recommend this hotel for a wedding or a well deserved break. Hoping to stay next year for my anniversary and every year after that!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ClaireRy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

Couldn't fault the hotel at all. Really friendly excellent service. Food was really good. Rooms were comfortable and clean. The spa and facilities made the stay perfect, the staff in the spa were professional and friendly. We will definitely stay again.

Stayed April 2012