All reviewshonesty baroverlooking the rivercopper bathmolton brown toiletriestelephone boxriverview balconycinema roomhigh bedglass of proseccojelly beanson arrivalreubengarden terrace roomjunior suiteafternoon teatasting menusmall hotel
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Visited Edgar House for the first time today for afternoon tea. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough,friendly and very welcoming. The food was excellent and of very good quality, the darjeeling was most refreshing.
The building has lovely views over the river being high up on the city walls which we enjoyed from the sitting room. It was a lovely experience and we will return!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2018

Our daughter & her fiancé booked a 2 day treat for us at Edgar House & what a wonderful experience it was. The rooms are beautiful with all needs catered for with care, thought & taste; luxury at its best. The views over the river from your super king, super comfortable bed, plus the lovely balcony are just two of many magic scenarios in the hotel. As a life long Coeliac I require a very strict gluten free diet rather than the more relaxed life style choice that many people mistake Coeliac Disease for & this has caused many problems for me over the years. However, Tim, Catherine 1 & Catherine 2, were absolutely up to the minute & knew straight away what I was talking about & provided me with glorious gluten free options where necessary; they were so delicious that I was actually glad to be a Coeliac & that does not happen often. The quality of the food is exceptional & the Edgar House Breakfast was the best I have ever eaten in quality, taste & the cooking & I must thank the extraordinary chef. Edgar House hosts special evening events & the violin playing by Philip Chidell, the ambiance & food at the event we attended were something very special. Thank you to everyone who owns, runs & cares for Edgar House; it is a luxury boutique hotel that has earned every single one of its stripes. Very many thanks from Penny & Keith Howard.
I must also add that the situation, staff & decor makes the hotel a dream location for weddings & we are currently keeping our fingers crossed that our daughter’s wedding will take place there.

Room Tip: Try & get a river view with a balcony.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Penny H
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2018

Dear Penny
You are too kind indeed. Thank you ever so much for this glorious review. It was our pleasure to look after you and Keith and thank you too for mentioining our lovely team. And it would of course be our pleasure to look after your daughter to help celebrate her wedding - we would really look forward to it. Thanks again Penny. Best wishes, Mike.

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Absolute gem. This was my second stay at Edgar house and a birthday treat from my wife. The staff genuinely make you feel like a guest and not just a customer. The rooms are beautifully appointed, staff are wonderfully polite and nothing is too much bother for them. The breakfast really was outstanding. The location of the hotel is ideal, short walk into Chester but nice and quiet overlooking the river.

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank Matthew B
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2018

Dear Matthew
Many thanks indeed for this very lovely review. We were delighted to have you stay with us for a second time, and I hope we can welcome you back again another time. Thanks again Matthew. Best wishes, Mike

Reviewed March 14, 2018

Edgar House is a genuine boutique hotel not just a house with fancy finishings. The room was first class with a view up the river. Breakfast was amazing. Eggs Benedict and quality coffee. This was our second stay and we will return again.

Room Tip: Go for the river view rooms with balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce G

Dear Bruce
Many thanks for this lovely review, lovely to see you and Alice again, and thank you too for your second visit. I hope it's one of more to come. Very best wishes, Mike

Reviewed March 7, 2018

I honestly hardly know where to start! From the reserved parking space to the balcony room and from the great location to the river view ... it was all absolutely lovely!

My husband and I spent two nights at Edgar House (as my birthday treat)and by the evening of the first night we had already decided to book again (for our Wedding Anniversary trip in July) The location of the hotel is great - right on the walls making it perfect to just walk into Chester - and NO traffic noise!

The welcome was warm and the room beautifully appointed, with a lovely bathroom and a nice balcony (not tested - it was January!) In fact the decor throughout the hotel was wonderful. We felt as if we were staying with friends.

Unfortunately being slightly out of season the hotel's restaurant was closed but the staff were quick to recommend - and book for us - nearby restaurants within walking distance which they thought we might like (We did!)

The breakfast was absolutely superb. No hint of your Greasy Spoon, stack it high, keep it warm and sell it cheap here! Great choices and the perfect portion size.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, making every effort to see we were happy and well catered for. In fact, having mentioned I had just had a birthday and this was a birthday treat, we were delighted to return to our room to find some Petits Fours arranged on a slate on which Happy Birthday was written - in cream! (Reader it was only the way my mother brought me up that stopped me from licking that slate CLEAN)

Believe me, I am not a 'gusher' by nature but this hotel..... oh my! Can't wait to come back - again and again.

Thankyou!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Michael S, Owner at Edgar House, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2018

Dear Angie
Wow, what a superb review! Thank you ever so much. We're absolutely thrilled you had a great time with us, and doubly so that you've booked again for July. We shall be looking forward to welcoming you back then. Many thanks again Angie. Best wishes, Mike