“Pancake Heaven!”

Hanky Panky Pancakes
Ranked #7 of 573 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$3 - US$10
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hanky Panky Pancakes is a creperie with a British twist. We have a lovely range of local cheeses, ice creams, teas and beers to go with your pancake. Naughty but nice! *Please note on bank holidays we are open 10am-4pm*
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Lovely experience, managed to grab a table outside in the sunshine for Sunday morning brunch.

It's a very busy restaurant with queues out the door at times. Service was a little slow due to sheer number of customers but all waitresses were very friendly and knowledgable about the menu.

One of our party was about to catch a train and the staff very kindly made her pancake to takeaway. The rest of us weren't in a rush so enjoyed a leisurely meal.

Before I even arrived i'd decided I would have a savoury pancake, take a break and then have a sweet one for pudding. Absolutely spoilt for choice with all the options! Amazing.
There are suggestions on the menu to browse but the magic lies on the back page with an endless list of toppings from maple syrup to mango, bacon to blueberries etc etc.
Fluffy American style pancakes and galettes are on offer.

Four very satisfied customers - wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place and I will return when I visit Chester again. Wish there was one near where I live!

Stephen F, Owner at Hanky Panky Pancakes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. Your description of a sunny morning at HP was a pleasure to read. Weekends can be busy but usually great fun if you are not in a rush, I'm pleased to hear the team were able to ensure your friend got her pancake. We are very pleased with our new menu and love the way in which the back page is working, it has been quite a challenge to get all the toppings in. We really look forward to seeing you again soon at Hanky Panky :-)

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

After having been to Hanky Panky Pancakes a number of times in the past yesterday's visit left a lot to be desired in terms of price.

The new menu has removed the set price stack menu, which we always go for, and to get the same as that you are looking to be paying about £3 more. The gradual price increase in the past has been noticeable, but tolerable. However, given that you now pay practically £10 for what the first time I went you paid £5 for, it is just too much of an increase.

The food was great and the service a lot quicker than normal (which used to be the only downfall of visiting), but that is most likely due to the fact there were fewer people wanting to eat there. It's the first time I've been on a Saturday lunchtime and saw that many empty tables.

After enjoying going here for a few years it's very unfortunate that the prices are now too high for me to be returning again.

4  Thank FoodreviewsBJH

Thank you all for leaving reviews expressing your concern over our menu change. I would like to apologise for responding with a generic statement but as you are in essence making the same point it makes sense to address your shared concerns at the same time. Firstly, I would like to thank you for having been regulars at HP. We really appreciate this and would be sorry to lose you over a menu change.
If you look at the menu in its entirety you will see that the price increase is modest across the board and you will notice that a number of items have actually gone down in price. You have all mentioned the increase in price of two stacks, there is a reason for this. Let’s go back to the beginning of HP two years ago, my wife agreed to keep working full time to allow me to open HP, it had been a dream for many years. We re-mortgaged our home to raise funds and embarked upon this wonderful adventure. Initially we imagined myself and a few part time staff covering the week and my sons and wife helping at the weekend. We now employ 22 members of staff of whom 8 are full time. Our pricing and menu format has remained pretty much the same despite, since opening, two increases in the minimum wage (although we try to pay more for those who are fully trained). There has also been a 20% rise in business rates, all utility bills have gone up, as have the cost of our ingredients (the previous price increase mentioned by someone was to cover VAT as we crossed the "threshold", we did not benefit from this increase in pricing, the government did).
Our idea of stacks has been popular which is wonderful but has led to difficulties and anomalies in pricing. We felt it was important to have consistency throughout, which has been achieved with the new menu. Previously the stacks were subsidised by the rest of the menu, which is why they were such good value (I would argue they still are). I am sorry we didn’t get this right in the initial draft of the menu but HP is our first venture and we had no idea how things would develop.
I also eat out and I am very aware of how much I pay in other restaurants. It is not unusual to pay £7 for a calamari starter or a slice of cheesecake bought in frozen from a supplier. The fact that we make our mixes from first principles, cook our pancakes fresh and where possible choose local produce, I feel represents exceptionally good value for money. In any restaurant choosing the most expensive dishes will result in a bigger bill. It is equally possible for a family of four to have pancakes with us topped with lemon and sugar or Nutella and drink a variety of cordials, all for £16. We really hope to provide something for every budget.
I am sorry if you feel this is unacceptable but we are a business and the choice is quite simple: if we do not pay our bills we will not be able to continue.

Reviewed 23 July 2016 via mobile

We LOVE this place, but on our last visit we were really disappointed with the huge price increase!!
We always have a 2 stack with 2 fillings, ice cream and sauce. We started by paying in the region of £6 but on Friday the same cost £8.60. I'm am so sorry to say but we won't be able to go back as a whole family (2adults 4 teenagers) as the treat would cost nearly £60 without drinks!! Very disappointing

6  Thank Mel C

Reviewed 21 July 2016

My boyfriend and I visited this place on Sunday after reading all the views! Our experience was lovely, the food was wonderful and there was so much choice. I will definitely be back again when I'm in the area.

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are really pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon at HP :-)

Reviewed 19 July 2016

I've been to Hanky Panky Pancakes 3 times , once with my family (my Auntie that lives in Chester introduced us) and twice after with my boyfriend. The staff are so lovely and the pancakes really are a dream for pancake lovers like myself. There are so many options and combinations to choose from (but not too many that it becomes overwhelming) I've visited every time that I've been to Chester since being introduced to the shop and I have no doubts that I will be returning soon. I also love the choices of drinks , my boyfriend ordered a coke a cola last time we were there and it was presented in the cutest vintage/american looking glass bottle ever! (it's the little things!).

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it was lovely to read. There are an amazing variety of combinations and it is great seeing the creativity of our customers. I love the Fentimans range of fizzy drinks, they are tasty and a little quirky, a bit like HP! We look forward to seeing you again soon at Hanky Panky :-)