All reviews beachcomber room top floor fresh milk in the fridge shared balcony miniature bottle warmly greeted on arrival little touches pavilion gardens full english choice at breakfast yogurt an ideal base town centre lovely sea views sea front clean tidy tired and in need
Reviewed October 14, 2017

Very nice,clean ,and the staff was very friendly and accomidating.we stayed 2 nights ,The breakfast was delicious,I would defiantly recomend Poltair.We visited Cornwall in late Sept .off season for the area.I am sure they would be very busy during peak season.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2017

Clean and friendly staff.Breakfast excellent.Could not have asked for anywhere better to stay.Easy access to the beach and town centre.Nothing was to much trouble for them.good choice of breakfast continental and full english..

Room Tip: We stayed in the Heron room on the ground floor at the front of the house
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2017

While the staff at the Poltair were excellent and helpful in every way the rooms were ready for an update. Compared the the other four star lodgings that we stayed at the Poltair did not quite live up to the 4 star ranking. The shower was very small in the room that I occupied and a strange looking fuzzy mat on the floor of the shower that looked a little scary. The wallpaper needs to be replaced and a general updo is required. Having said that the breakfast was excellent and the staff 5 star.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2017

In my opinion there are several factors which make a good guest house/hotel.

The first that hits you is the entrance. The gate is a tad shabby and the steps up to the front door are steep and definitely would be a problem for those less mobile. This factor should be stressed.

The decor is, as mentioned in other views, is dated but that can be changed. Wallpaper is peeling off the wall up the stairs.

My room was unexpectedly dark even though it faces more or less south. The window is in the form of a glass door which has a good view over the bay. However, the room is 'in the roof' and the sloping ceiling cuts out light to much of the room. Rooms on the first and ground floor would have, at best, a glimpse of the sea.

The balcony was not a pleasant place to spend time, in spite of the view. Cigarette ends were in the guttering, on the balcony floor and in a cup like container on the small outside table. This area was never cleaned during my 7 night stay. The weather was not all that warm so I didn't use the balcony.

The sealant around the bath/shower is black with mould and this is totally unacceptable in a 4 star guest house.

The bed was large and very comfortable. The linens were of good quality. The towels were not.

The owners, I believe, have been in residence about 12 months. There is much maintenance and redecorating to do to bring it up to 4 star accommodation.

I'm not so easily swayed by having a fridge in the room, or cake in the hallway. Although I readily agree that these touches are lovely. I can recommend the cake!

One thing that I have to mention. Poltair is advertised as a No Pet establishment. I booked it with this in mind as I have an allergy to dogs. However, I later found an earlier review that states that 2 greyhounds were allowed in the bedroom.

However, the one thing that stands out above all others is the great attitude of the staff. Poltair scores very high on this. They are warm, welcoming, helpful and happy. What more could you ask? You can change decor but changing attitude? Virtually impossible. This family and staff have great attitude.

They also run a Gurkha restaurant in Falmouth and when I received a 20% voucher, I had to go and sample the food, didn't I? My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed a meal there. On returning to Falmouth, hopefully next year, I will most definitely go there again. Highly recommended.

Final thoughts? Potentially a 4 star accommodation but, compared to several other 4 star accommodations in Falmouth, it falls short at this time. I wish them luck as they have much work to do. They are good people and deserve success.

Room Tip: Second floor for the view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank CatherRineR
Reviewed September 9, 2017

booked the Poltair after reading reviews and was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. It has a very pretty garden,parking outside . the room was great and spotless,only comment to make was that the sea view advertised was just a gap between 2 properties but we could see the sea. The staff were lovely,the breakfast great and a cook who could cook a fried egg,it was obviously freshly cooked.Nothing to fault at all and would recommend it to anyone,pricewise it was a bargain.

Room Tip: sea view is good
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple