Engleton Guest House
  • Breakfast included
The Grove Hotel(Falmouth)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 15, 2016

The worst B&B I have ever stayed in.
Owners were absent – I was expected to collect a key from a box with a pin outside and find my own room. To contact the owners you have to call a mobile phone, and owners were offhand when I did, and not very caring. I never saw or met them during my one night stay.
NO FOOD – the kitchen is apparently closed, so this is just for sleeping.
Room 1 is simply horrible – barely bigger than the bed and en-suite smaller still. Décor is totally absent – it could have been a prison cell.
18 inches standing room from sink to wall behind !
Water was cold - took nearly 5 minutes for shower to run hot.
Cold tap on sink is loose, so you need to hold the tap and turn the handle to get it to work.
Shaver point does not work – very annoying as I was looking forward to a shave after being at sea.
TV Remote control does not work TV has very poor reception and the few channels that there were kept dropping out.
No wardrobe (there isn’t room!) the ‘hanging rail’ is falling apart - and frankly horrible !
Bed is noisy and creeks when you turn over.
The door needs two hands to open – I don’t know if they have deliberately remove the locking toggle from the yale lock, but it is hard with luggage to exit.
With the head of the bed right next to the en-suite downpipe, every time the floor above either ran a tap or flushed the loo, I was woken by the loud sound of water.
Communal Ironing board was a nice touch, but the cover does need renewing.
The only + was that it was relatively clean.
I received no response to an email pointing the above out, let alone an apology, so only way to ensure others are aware is to post this.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
EngletonGuestHouse, Manager at Engleton Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2016

Very rude person, you we're seen into the b&b by my partners mother as we we're out at that time, she got the keys for you and took you to your room! This is an old Georgian town house as we state on booking.com & our website so noise from people, pipes, floorboards etc is expected, paying £40 for a night in the centre of Falmouth is the cheapest you can get! You need to pay more for more luxury accommodation - simple!
We previously emailed to inform you of the fact it is room rate only you booked and we were not able to supply the breakfast as my partner was in/out of hospital and I cannot do this with no help! You weren't paying for the breakfast anyway so there's no need to even moan about that. I think you would find fault in a 5star place to be honest reading your sad, detailed complaint! You should get out more & explore the town your in instead of staying in your room to write a list of issues you have!

Reviewed July 14, 2016 via mobile

I booked through booking.com for a 1 night stay and 2 days prior to my visit, I received an email from booking.com cancelling my break. Irritating to say the least especially after I had already purchased train tickets. Never mind, not the fault of the guest house. I cancelled my very mini break and stayed local to my home instead.

The following Friday - 5 days after my booking had been cancelled, I discovered that Engleton Guest House had taken £60 from my account!! After calling booking.com, the advised me to contact the guest house directly. I did so and was spoken to extremely rudely by a man who advised me that yes, my money had been taken by mistake and I would get my refund in 10 days. When I asked if this could be sooner, he told me I was 'not a priority'. I asked him for the authorisation code for the transaction so that I could get my bank to refund my money and was again told that no I couldn't as he didn't have it to hand.

I again contact booking.com and they had been advised by the guest house that they had taken my money because I had provided invalid credit card details.......how exactly could they get my money if I had?????

I called 3 times following this and was continually fobbed off.....first it had been processed and would go through over the weekend LIE, then shock horror their credit card machine wasn't working and they would look at sending out a cheque by the end of the week LIE. Finally got my money back by reporting a fraudulent transaction to my bank..

BEWARE. They're quick enough to take money, but don't be in a rush to get it back when they use your credit card details to freely help themselves to money that is not theirs!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Lucy you never paid for your stay and when asked for a credit card that worked you failed to respond to us - so of course if you don't pay for a room you book then we cannot keep the booking! You messed us around not providing payment and we had no other choice but to cancel your booking (you could have got in touch to say you still wanted to stay & would pay on arrival, but you didn't)! As policy we are to charge a cancellation fee which we did use the card details provided after a few days and you must have finally put some money in your account so cancellation fee was taken!!! After all your trouble we were informed via booking.com we had to pay you back!! You were in the wrong for booking a room you had no intentions of paying for so yes we we're annoyed to have to pay you back as we lost out on the room being re-booked because of you!

Do not book a room if you have no funds to pay for it!

Reviewed June 26, 2016

This delightful, clean and comfortable guest house is ideally situated for a great stay in Falmouth. There was plenty of choice for the breakfast. The owners were very helpful when we had to rearrange our stay. We wish them continued success.

Room Tip: Room 6 at the back of the hotel, quiet and on the groundfloor
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2016

My best friend and I took a little trip down to Falmouth and were surprised that all the handlings with the Engleton B&B were via txt message, we never saw the owners - however, everything was very well organised, the rooms were lovely and clean, beautiful little place, the other guests were very quiet and all in all we had a great stay! Would definitely come back here!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 4 on the top floor, shared bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2016

It was an incredibly friendly guest house location. The facilities were very comfortable with cosy, thoughtful touches.The breakfast was terrific lots of choice and tasted as well as it looked. I highly recommend this Guest house as certainly ticks all the right boxes.

Stayed: September 2015