Fieldhead Hotel
US$99
US$90
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
The Claremont Hotel(Polperro)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Pencubitt House(Liskeard)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsclassic fmsea viewbeautiful positionworking very hardlovely hotellarge balconyfirst floorwelcoming ownersbalcony roomlovely poolswimming pooldesperate needfull englishgood sizevery pleasant staythe ground floorsunny day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I booked to go to the Fieldhead hotel in Looe for a well needed break for Valentines. Before we even made it to the hotel, I had occasion to call the 'Manager' 'Julian Peck'. I found him to be extremely rude and frustratingly unhelpful! On his web site he advises ''from time to time we advertise our rooms on other web sites. If ever you find a cheaper rate for The Fieldhead Hotel in Looe than our quoted rate, we will give you a discount of 5% off that rate.'' I booked my room directly with Julian Peck via telephone, later I found a cheaper quote on 'laterooms.com'. It was upon following his advice that I gave him a call to get him to match it with a 5% discount as he promises on his site. His response to me was 'no I dont want to' and hung up! This went on for 5 hrs!!! The same childish unprofesional response was given to me 'I dont want to' and hung up! I have NEVER known service like this from a hotel before and I was SHOCKED and APPALLED!!! I have since discussed my experience with Trading Standards for them to investigate further. Unless you want your relaxing weekend turned into one of great misery and stress thanks to Julian Peck, DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
41  Thank louise k
FieldheadHotel, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear Louise k of Exeter,

Yes, 5 hours to explain £56.00 per person per night is better than £120.00 less 5% and still the Reviewer did not understand.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write your TripAdvisor review. I hope, through my Management Response here, readers will understand the problem Julian Peck encountered given he failed to get the point across and was totally misunderstood in more than the 5 hours of the phone call bombardment Louise confirms.

Firstly, I can assure Trip Advisor Readers we are, caste iron, people of our word. Louise is correct when she quotes from our web site saying we will give Bookers a 5% discount off any discount web site we may from time to time advertise on.

Indeed, this reviewer confirms and proves the point but failed to understand the excellence of the deal she already had and which after the 5 hours, still did not understand.

Yes, I think Julian Peck was, on this occasion, exceedingly unhelpful, or should it be said, had already been more helpful than the reviewer realised but despite 5 hours of explanation, still could not do the Maths and the Maths lesson misconstrued as that of being rude.

Louise made the booking on the 11th January 2012: a balcony double at £56.00 per person per night, guaranteed it by the requested deposit and as with all bookings was sent a letter of confirmation with the request to inform us immediately if any other the booking details were incorrect.

After 25 days, on the 5th February, she saw an offer on LateRooms for a Balcony Room for £120.00 per room per night and wanted that deal less the 5% which we promise rather than the £56.00 per person per night she already had for the same room.

This is when the extreme rudeness and frustratingly unhelpfulness started. To be critical, I think Julian Peck, while trying to be helpful, may have been seen to be frustratingly unhelpful which was in turn seen as being rude as it is all a question of Maths and percentages which clearly was just not understood.

As to Maths: £120.00 less 5% = £114.00 = £57.00 per person per night.

Julian Peck's unhelpfulness was caused by his inability to explain that she was in fact paying, at £56.00 per person per night, less than £120.00 less the 5% we price guarantee on our web site.

Louise’s quote of I don’t want to and hanging up the telephone must therefore be inaccurate. How can one give a better rate if the booker has already got a better rate than expected and 5% less than that seen on a discount web site?

We welcome a review of these events by Trading Standards, but wonder what Louise has asked them to review or what she is complaining to them about. We also confirm, as of today’s date, Trading Standards have not contacted the hotel.

Lastly, we are all but full for Valentine’s weekend and Louise’s presumption that a weekend will turn into one of great misery and stress is inaccurate and does her assessment no credit at all, as she has not stayed to make that observation and incapable to give that advice to Readers. Possibly this review must be treated with the same scepticism. In fact, it contravenes TripAdvisor's rules.

I hope I have been able to clarify the 5 hours of non-stop phone calls, which, I think, would test even the most diplomatic of Hoteliers.

Julian Peck – have a great day wherever in the World you find yourself today.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is a great place to stay. The hosts are attentive and hospitality wonderful. Breakfast tasty and location is perfect, near to the town and near to a wonderful beach walk and hike down the coast. We really enjoyed ourselves here and wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Jennifer C
FieldheadHotel, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Jennifer C of Minneapolis, Minnesota

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review for us at The Fieldhead Hotel.

We are delighted you found us and do hope you will come to stay again if ever you return to England and venture back to Looe.

Very best wishes,

Julian Peck – just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

The staff could not have been more friendly! Very polite and accommodating.
The rooms are fairly dated, i mean that in regards to the contrat of modern decor, although it looks well dressed. Very clean, and was very impressed to find neurogena products in the bathroom.
For a business traveller it was great that it had wi-fi, so i could catch up on 4od and iplayer!
The food - i stayed for dinner and well, it was excellent, and that goes for breakfast too!
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank Honesty8787
FieldheadHotel, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear Honesty8787, Devizes, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to review your stay at The Fieldhead Hotel in Looe.

You have highlighted items that are seldom noticed, but by those who know, always appreciated, as in the Neutrogena Bathroom accessories. Yes, they are expensive, but we consider a nice little bit of luxury and that is how we view all our efforts at The Fieldhead Hotel – we do the best we can within our ability and thank you for the courtesy of your comment.

The other point you well recognise is our free Wi-Fi service. I get pretty upset when I go to hotels to find I have to pay. Also, of course, guests do not pay for our onsite Car Park.

Thank you too for your compliments regarding the Food. Chef is well pleased with your compliments.

You enjoyed your stay: We enjoyed having you

Best wishes,

Julian Peck – hope ylu have a great day wherever you find yourself in the World today.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stumbled across the field head hotel and I can't rate it high enough. The food was outstanding, the rooms were a good size and very clean with tea and coffee facilities as well as a fridge, iron and hairdryer. The owner could not have been more charming and accommodating. Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: We had room 16 which had a private terrace really nice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank susan b
FieldheadHotel, Manager at Fieldhead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2011

Dear susan b,

Thank you for taking the time effort and trouble to write us a review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your say and recommend us so highly. Praise indeed. Thank you.

I very much look forward to having the pleasure of your company if you are in Looe again.

Very best wishes,

Julian Peck – if a job’s worth doing, it is worth doing well.

Reviewed 3 October 2011

Made a spur of the moment decision to go away with the good weather and chose the Fieldhead Hotel in West Looe. Booked directly with the proprietor over the telephone and got the exact room we were looking for. He also gave a discount based on the later season prices.

Location is excellent and the pool and gardens are well kept. The car park is a real bonus for Looe. The walk into town is mostly down hill but steep at the end. If you don't fancy walking back a taxi is only £5. The walk down to Marine Drive is also downhill but not too bad unless you are infirm.

There is no lift and the bar, restaurant and reception are all on the first floor which also requires another flight of steps up from the car park. The pool is another level above that. None of this was a problem for us but it's worth noting if you have difficulties with mobility.

Breakfast starts with an initial buffet of cereals, juices, fruits and other continental fayre. This is followed with tea or coffee then toast and finally a cooked course such as a full English which was cooked freshly for us rather than taken from the hot plate and served. The evening meal offered a good choice and consisted of three courses followed by tea or coffee and mints in the lounge. All was well cooked and presented.

Our room was large and had it's own private terrace. There was plenty of hot water at any time and everything was clean and tidy. The decor was dated but it was in good order and didn't detract from our pleasure at all. We had a Freeview TV and the free wifi connection was just possible.

The proprietor was a smiling, friendly chap who appeared to be everywhere all the time. He would serve you breakfast, drinks at the bar and your evening meal. He was always checking that everything was in order.

In summary we had a pleasant and enjoyable stay and would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Looe, especially if the hustle and bustle of the town in summer is not desirable.

If I was pushed to give any negatives I would say we found it difficult to dry the towels when the heating is off and the restaurant might be hot in the summer as it faces the sun for much of the day.

Room Tip: Room 16 has it's own terrace and direct access to the car park.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
14  Thank ericR092

Dear ericR092,

Thank you so much for your very detailed and therefore, most helpful review. There is nothing I can add but to say again what I have said. Thank you and very much looking forward to seeing you again.

Best wishes,

Julian Peck – and I hope you enjoy today more than you did yesterday, and tomorrow more than you did today.