“Perfect place for young groups”

Smarties Surf Lodge
Reviewed 8 August 2016

Myself and four other twenty-something lads booked a room here at the lodge for 5 days. Jackie was extremely welcoming and friendly and provided us with a choice of a cup of tea or a beer and some tasty homemade banana cake. She then gave us information of things to do nearby, places to eat, surf etc. as well as the ground rules of staying which were all easy to abide by (No smoking in the rooms, keep the noise down when stumbling back from the pub at 5am etc.) so we had no problems. The beds were comfy, showers were hot and there were even some spare mattresses under the bunk beds that were there to accommodate for larger groups (8 people max) We even had a small TV that we hooked a Playstation up to for a few FIFA drinking games before we headed out for the night.

The lodge itself is within less than 5 minutes walking distance of the town centre so we had plenty of places to choose from for food, drinks and shopping. It's also very easy to remember the way back if you don't have access to google maps.

Overall, a very clean, chilled out, comfy and convenient place to accommodate your group. I will definitely be trying my best to get a bed here again next time I visit Newquay.

Cheers again for the brilliant hospitality!

Room Tip: Try to go as a group between 6-8 people to ensure you get the room I stayed in as it comes with an e...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fart69

Reviewed 6 August 2016

Lucky enough to find smarties after giving up on camping, Jackie was realy kind and let me have 4 bed room all to myself even had a sea View Fantastic.Breakfast was great value for money no noise at night shop round the corner Ace Location Thanks again for the 3 days i stayed sun even came out. Steve , Birmingham

Room Tip: top front room had good sea view
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank MadSteveDoes
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

6 of my friends and I stayed at Smarties in Newquay for 5 days in July. We are currently 17 year old students and we were looking for a trip away together at a place by the sea.
We were kindly greeted by the owner as we arrived and were given a complementary slice of banana cake which disappeared quickly due to johns large appetite. Unfortunately we were not allowed the pint of bear (which is given out to people over 18).
The location of smarties surf lodge is ideal as it is a two minute walk from the town that has a lot going on, even saw Alex Mytton from Made in Chelsea demonstrating the desire for people to visit this sea side town. It's also a 10 minute walk down to the beach which made the many trips down to the sea easy so that we could catch some narly waves on the regs. In addition, the beach was perfect for digging holes; this is important for many different reasons, especially if the gang has an issue with seagulls kys.

On the other hand, the room was very small to fit 7 of us in as one of the mattresses had to be laid on the floor (due to there being only 3 bunks. Because of the cramped space it was very hard to keep the room tidy and Randev had no where to keep his 4 litres of "water".

Overall, I had a very pleasant time and would recommend staying at Smarties to anyone wanting to visit Newquay as we were very welcomed and hosted by the owner.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex M
Reviewed 23 July 2016

Great location, great room, great hospitality especially when you're greeted with a beer and fresh homemade banana bread!

Staying here defiantly made my first trip to Newquay a lot more enjoyable! Great host, and the accommodation was nice and quiet.

Will defiantly be back to stay here when back in Newquay again!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosie b
Reviewed 15 July 2016

Stayed in May during a week away on my own to improve my surfing and relax - Jackie was the perfect host and made me feel like I was staying with a friend. Brilliant location within walking distance to beaches and town. Would definitely stay again.:)

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Joanne W
Reviewed 6 July 2016

I stayed here with 3 other friends last weekend. Jackie who rums Smarties Lodge is a great host who knows the area very well. She even supplied some cake free of charge to our room!

Our room was clean and very good for the four of us. Looking over a Victorian graveyard was pretty weird when having a shower but the graveyard is pretty cool with lots of obtainable history.

Jackie is a very nice warm host. Her place is 5 mins walk from central Newquay and she runs a very nice place. I enjoyed my stay here as did everybody else I stayed with. She cooks a nice breakfast as well for £5 even if its a little small. All in all 5/5 still.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

13 of us just stayed here for a stag weekend. The location is perfect, 5 minute walk into town.
Jackie was extremely acomodating and very welcoming giving us recommendations on where to go in town. The place is lovely and clean with an amazing breakfast.
I usually stay in posh hotels when traveling for work. All I can say is Jackie has the balance just right and I would definitely recommend as a place to stay with your mates.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends